[NEohioPAL]Film Symposium at the JCC Halle Theatre

Kenerup, Amy AKenerup at CleveJcc.Org
Wed Aug 22 14:11:44 PDT 2001

------_=_NextPart_001_01C12B26.082727E0

Halle Theatre presents Image and Identity:
A Jewish Documentary Film Symposium

The Eugene S. and Blanche R. Halle Theatre of the Jewish Community Center
will present "Image and Identity: A Jewish Documentary Film Symposium" on
September 9 -10, 2001 at the Halle Theatre, 3505 Mayfield Road, Cleveland
Heights.  The Film Symposium will consist of four documentaries that deal
with pertinent issues relevant to Jewish life.  Local humanities scholars
will conduct a dialogue with the filmmakers and encourage audience members
to participate in post-viewing discussions of the films.  There is a fee and
group discounts are available.

The four documentaries, LA Mohel by David Bezmozgis, Delta Jews by Mike
DeWitt, Nobody's Business by Alan Berliner, and A Healthy Baby Girl by
Judith Helfand, tackle a wide range of issues such as parent-child
relationships, the Jews of the South, DES, and what happens when Jewish
circumcision goes Hollywood.

This film series was developed and coordinated by the National Foundation of
Jewish Culture.  It was made possible by a major grant from the National
Endowment for the Humanities expanding our understanding of the world.

For further information on the film festival, please contact Deborah Bobrow
at 216) 382-4000, ext. 215.  Contact the Halle Theatre Box Office for ticket
information at (216) 382-4000 ext. 274.

Film Events

LA Mohel will be shown on Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 11:00 A.M.  Following
the screening, Rabbi Lawrence Zierler and Rabbi Yisrael Koval, a certified
mohel, will lead a discussion about the documentary short which chronicles
three different mohalim, a yuppie physician, an Orthodox Rabbi and a
certified nurse midwife.  Questions of Jewish identity, tradition and
spirituality are brought to the forefront with their stories.  A light
brunch will be served following the discussion.

Delta Jews, a moving documentary about Jews in the South, is a fascinating
look at community, civil rights and cultural continuity.  This film will be
shown on Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 2:00 P.M.  Artie Allen, Director of
the Youngstown JCC and Alabama native, will facilitate a discussion with
local Southerners who will share their memories of a Jewish Southern
childhood.  A complimentary tea with the panelists will follow the film and
discussion.

Nobody's Business will be shown on Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 7:00 P.M.
Award-winning filmmaker Alan Berliner takes on his reclusive father in this
emotionally powerful study of memory and family history.  What emerges is a
highly cinematic biography that finds both humor and pathos in the swirl of
conflicts and affections that bind father and son.  Alan Berliner, the
filmmaker, and Professor Brian Amkraut of the Cleveland College of Jewish
Studies, will participate in a discussion of the film with the audience
immediately following the film.

A Healthy Baby Girl will be shown on Monday September 10, 2001 at 7:00 P.M.
This film begins when the filmmaker is diagnosed with cervical cancer at age
25.  After a radical hysterectomy, she contemplates what life as a barren
woman means to her Jewish identity.  Her courageous political fight is a
searing look at corporate accountability, women's health and medical ethics,
and tikkun olam, the repair of a damaged world.   Judith Helfand, the
filmmaker, and Dr. Lifsa Schachter, Director of the Center for Jewish
Education at the Cleveland College of Jewish Studies, will engage in a
dialogue with the audience immediately following the film.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C12B26.082727E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Film Symposium at the JCC Halle Theatre</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Garamond">Halle Theatre =
presents Image and Identity: </FONT></B></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B><FONT SIZE=3D4 FACE=3D"Garamond">A Jewish =
Documentary Film Symposium</FONT></B></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">The Eugene S. and Blanche R. Halle Theatre =
of the Jewish Community Center will present "Image and Identity: A =
Jewish Documentary Film Symposium" on September 9 -10, 2001 at the =
Halle Theatre, 3505 Mayfield Road, Cleveland Heights.  The Film =
Symposium will consist of four documentaries that deal with pertinent =
issues relevant to Jewish life.  Local humanities scholars will =
conduct a dialogue with the filmmakers and encourage audience members =
to participate in post-viewing discussions of the films.  There is =
a fee and group discounts are available.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">The four documentaries,<I> LA Mohel</I> by =
David Bezmozgis,<I> Delta Jews</I> by Mike DeWitt,<I> Nobody's =
Business</I> by Alan Berliner, and<I> A Healthy Baby Girl</I> by Judith =
Helfand, tackle a wide range of issues such as parent-child =
relationships, the Jews of the South, DES, and what happens when Jewish =
circumcision goes Hollywood.   </FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">This film series was developed and =
coordinated by the National Foundation of Jewish Culture.  It was =
made possible by a major grant from the National Endowment for the =
Humanities expanding our understanding of the world. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">For further information on the film =
festival, please contact Deborah Bobrow at 216) 382-4000, ext. =
215.  Contact the Halle Theatre Box Office for ticket information =
at (216) 382-4000 ext. 274.</FONT><B></B></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B><FONT SIZE=3D5 FACE=3D"Garamond">Film =
Events</FONT></B></P>

<P><I><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">LA Mohel</FONT></I><FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond"> will be shown on</FONT><B> <FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond">Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 11:00 =
A.M</FONT></B><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">.  Following the screening, =
Rabbi Lawrence Zierler and Rabbi Yisrael Koval, a certified mohel, will =
lead a discussion about the documentary short which chronicles three =
different mohalim, a yuppie physician, an Orthodox Rabbi and a =
certified nurse midwife.  Questions of Jewish identity, tradition =
and spirituality are brought to the forefront with their stories.  =
A light brunch will be served following the discussion. </FONT></P>

<P><I><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">Delta Jews</FONT></I><FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond">, a moving documentary about Jews in the South, is a =
fascinating look at community, civil rights and cultural =
continuity.  This film will be shown on</FONT><B> <FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond">Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 2:00 P.M</FONT></B><FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond">.  Artie Allen, Director of the Youngstown JCC =
and Alabama native, will facilitate a discussion with local Southerners =
who will share their memories of a Jewish Southern childhood.  A =
complimentary tea with the panelists will follow the film and =
discussion.  </FONT></P>

<P><I><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">Nobody's Business</FONT></I><FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond"> will be shown on</FONT><B> <FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond">Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 7:00 P.M</FONT></B><FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond">.  Award-winning filmmaker Alan Berliner takes =
on his reclusive father in this emotionally powerful study of memory =
and family history.  What emerges is a highly cinematic biography =
that finds both humor and pathos in the swirl of conflicts and =
affections that bind father and son.  Alan Berliner, the =
filmmaker, and Professor Brian Amkraut of the Cleveland College of =
Jewish Studies, will participate in a discussion of the film with the =
audience immediately following the film.</FONT></P>

<P><I><FONT FACE=3D"Garamond">A Healthy Baby Girl</FONT></I><FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond"> will be shown on</FONT><B> <FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond">Monday September 10, 2001 at 7:00 P.M</FONT></B><FONT =
FACE=3D"Garamond">.  This film begins when the filmmaker is =
diagnosed with cervical cancer at age 25.  After a radical =
hysterectomy, she contemplates what life as a barren woman means to her =
Jewish identity.  Her courageous political fight is a searing look =
at corporate accountability, women's health and medical ethics, and =
tikkun olam, the repair of a damaged world.   Judith Helfand, =
the filmmaker, and Dr. Lifsa Schachter, Director of the Center for =
Jewish Education at the Cleveland College of Jewish Studies, will =
engage in a dialogue with the audience immediately following the =
film.  </FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C12B26.082727E0--