[NEohioPAL]Bughouse Hamlet-The University of Akron

Bill Hoffman bhoffman at clevelandplayhouse.com
Tue Sep 18 21:33:03 PDT 2001

Bughouse HAMLET
The All Singing, All Dancing, Musical Comedy,Vaudeville Hamlet Extravaganza
By William Hoffman, Arrangements and Musical Direction by Kenneth Kacmar,
Choreography by MaryAnn Black

The year is 1931.

The stock market has crashed and with it the bookings of many stock theatre
companies.  One such company, The Monarch, a rag-tag musical comedy troupe,
is on the brink of collapse.  In a desperate move to keep the company
afloat, Monarch's actor-manager, Harry Hawkins, has arranged a last minute
booking in Philadelphia performing - here's the rub - HAMLET.

"But, Harry, Hamlet's a tragedy," the company protests.
"I know it's a tragedy but, like I said, we're going to lighten it up a bit."

And so the Monarch Company embarks upon a theatrical journey that defies
all logic, but is richly steeped in American song and dance traditions.

Featured songs include:
"Carolina in The Morning", "Toot, Toot, Tootsie"
"When the Midnight Choo Choo Leaves for Alabam' "
"Hard Hearted Hannah", "To Be in Love"
"If You Knew Susie", "The Spaniard That Blighted My Life"

The Daum Theatre in Kolbe Hall on The University of Akron campus, 40-45
minutes away from I-480 and I-77. From Cleveland take I-77 South. When you
get to Akron get in the left lane to connect with Route 8 North. After you
make the turn onto Route 8 take the first exit on the right. You'll see
University of Akron. After the exit take a left at the first left (Carrol
Street) or a left at the second light (Buchtel Ave.)  One Block at Carol
and Spicer or at Buchtel and Spicer you'll see the New East Parking Deck.
Park there and walk another block to the Daum Theatre. Follow the signs,
"Daum Theatre."

Reservations: (330) 972-7575.
Tickets: $12, $8/seniors, $6/students
September 20-30, Thursdays-Saturdays at 8PM and Sundays at 2PM.
Preview performance on Wednesday, September 19 at 8PM for $2.

William F. Hoffman
Director of Education
The Cleveland Play House
Phone:(216) 795-7000, ext. 251