[NEohioPAL]An SOS for the NYC Theater

**Jennifer** jgoodson at bw.edu
Tue Sep 25 22:34:18 PDT 2001

This is a letter from an actress in "Batboy" on Broadway - talking first
hand on the status of NYC theatre right now.  Basically...if you want to
give to charity - buy a ticket for a B-way show...they're alot cheaper
now...even if you're not going to be there.  Houses are not even close to
being filled.  The situation is starting to look a little better, however,
shows are still closing left and right.  People are saying that the most
important shows to support right now are the "touristy" shows like "Les
Mis" and "Phantom."  With the lack of tourists in NYC right now - these
shows are beginning to suffer as well.

Take care - speak out for peace,
**Jenn Goodson**

Dear Friends,
  I will keep it short as  I am so tired but I wanted to send a quick
update.
  At half hour tonight at our theater ,our producers showed up to talk to
us. Unfortunately, we had to post notice tonight on "Bat Boy", we will
close on Sunday. Even more unfortunate is that, we are not alone. Five
other Broadway shows and several other off Broadway shows also gave notice
today. More will follow in the next few days, even shows like "Phantom "
and "Les Mis" are in danger as they are totally dependant on tourism.
Almost every show in town has no advanced ticket sales as of this past
Tuesday. We are all devastated.
  The producers are calling for 70% salary cuts and five show weeks to try
to keep afloat, some are trying to get the union to let us all close and
then reopen later with out paying people. All theater owners waved their
rent for last week to try to help but it wasn't enough. We are all hoping
the union agrees to any or all of these things as without them..... well.
  In the workshop I am doing of "Dirty Dancing" there are actors from 10
other currently running shows partisipating. Every actor I spoke to today
says their casts would rather work for a few hundred dollars a week and do
less shows, helping the city get back on it's feet, than close.
  It will be too late for many shows even if the unions do agree but we
are supporting our producers in any way we can. I ask all of you if you
can take a moment to email your friends and ask them to buy a theater ticket to
ANY show in the next few days, not just "Bat Boy", any show of their choice.
  It is a way we can all fight back against the terrorists. I refuse to
accept that they can cripple this city and our beloved theater community.
"Bat Boy's" producers don't want to give up without a fight, they are
trying everything in hope that some way we can make it and take down our
notice on Sunday, keeping our doors open. We did better than many other
shows this past week, "Rent" played to a house of 50 the other night and
we had 140. Tonight we played to 160 people who were so happy to be there,
and we were so proud to perform for them, even after our news. I think
people just don't realize that the theater is in this much trouble, please
help us tell everyone. It breaks my heart that the city I was born in, the
theater community I was raised in , is in such trouble but we all have to
fight back. I miss you all. Pray for us, we are all frightened but I will
not come back to LA because they have bombed my city and they have won. I
will not allow them to do this without a fight. Thank you.
 Love,
 Kaitlin Hopkins
 > Proud cast member of "Bat Boy- The Musical" >> >>

If you can support the theater in this terrible time, please try - buy a
ticket yourself, or forward this email to other people who love the theater
and let's see if we can get through this next few weeks & months.  Thanks.