[NEohioPAL]Artistic Challenges for Film Actors; An Interactive Workshop at the 2001 OIFF

AnnettaLM at aol.com AnnettaLM at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 18:58:01 PDT 2001

INDEPENDENT FILM SCHOOL AT THE 2001 OHIO INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL &
MARKET
Artistic Challenges for Film Actors; An Interactive Workshop

For Immediate Release October 8, 2001

Contact: Annetta Marion or Bernadette Gillota, Co-Artistic and
Executive Directors, (216) 651-7315

Cleveland, Ohio-At this year's festival, our 15th in eight years,
we are proud to present ARTISTIC CHALLENGES FOR FILM ACTORS; AN
INTERACTIVE WORKSHOP by Ellen Friedman, professional actor, director,
and coach for voice, dialect, and acting.

This will be an interactive workshop, specific to performance and
artistic issues, giving the participant scenes to work on, with a
mock-up of how they may actually be shot.  Participant volunteers
will be asked to direct and/or act in these scenes, so that we can
then break scenes down, discuss, and work through how to produce
these scenes in a truthful way, given the many constraints of the
film genre.

There are those who believe that film acting is easier than stage
acting, in that there is always the possibility of extra takes when
the moment wasn't found.  The truth is that film is quite expensive,
and often we, as actors, are only given one shot to do our best work.
There is tremendous pressure to get it right the first time. There is
also the editing process, in which our "moment" has either been
changed, cut in and out with other scenes, shortened, or removed
entirely.  Our only defense is our artistry.  At the close of this
workshop, you will be in the know, and be better prepared for the
thrill and challenge of the film world.

This interactive workshop (specific to performance and artistic
issues) will cover:
1. What will be expected when acting in a film
2. How to transfer acting skills to this medium by learning
     a. how to act out of sequence
     b. how to maintain continuity
     c. to perform truthful reaction shots
     d. improvisation to enhance a scene
     e. visual nuance
     f. acting within specific camera angles
     g. looping sessions
     h. dealing with sides instead of scripts
     i. the audition process
     j. the rehearsal process
     k. interaction between director and actor
     l. how to get desired results from a scene
     m. last minute changes
     n. how to stay mentally prepared during interruptions/wait times
3. differences between stage and film, and how to adjust accordingly
4. set etiquette, for union and non-union shoots
5. film industry nomenclature
6. business nuances of the film industry

Who should attend:
1. filmmakers who want to fine-tune the nuance of directing an actor
to achieve their desired result
2. new filmmakers and writers who want to deepen their understand of
the film acting process
3. filmmakers who want to stretch beyond traditional physical
typecasting
4. actors who are trained, and yet find themselves having a difficult
time transferring their talents to the camera
5. stage actors who want to extend their talents to film
6. new actors who want to learn what will be expected of them in film

When: Saturday, November 10, 9am-noon, and Sunday, November 11, 9am-
noon
Place: Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Road
Cost: $110.00 in advance (must be received by November 5th), $125.00
at the door
Dress: Please dress very casually and comfortably

E-mail Ellen Friedman at Joyel at en.com with questions and/or to
request a registration form for the class (don't forget to
include your phone number in your email).  If you do not have
computer access, call the OIFF at (216) 651-7315, and they will relay
a message to Ellen.

Ellen Friedman is a professional actor, director, coach for voice,
dialect, and acting.  She has performed in many stage and film
productions, and has directed both classical and contemporary theatre
productions.  Ms. Friedman has a private practice where she provides
coaching for actors, vocalists, media talent, ministers, business
executives, and virtually all who "perform."  She recently completed
a year of training media talent with Fox Channel 8; after her
training, their morning show rocketed to number one throughout the
Fox network nationally, including the Los Angeles market!  Two of the
independent films she has recently been in have toured art theatres
and national film festivals.  Several years ago, you might recall
that Ellen directed OIFF's Script Mill, an unstaged reading of
the award-winning screenplay Half, kicking off the OIFF festival of
new films.

PRINT MEDIA SPONSOR: Cleveland Scene OTHER SPONSORS: The George Gund
Foundation, The Cleveland Foundation, Ohio Arts Council, Hankins
Foundation,  IFC/Bravo, Filmmaker Magazine, Cleveland Public Theatre,
Sherwin-Williams

2001 OIFF & Market
November 3-11
Extraordinary films you wouldn't ordinarily see

Ohio Independent Film Festival
1392 West 65th Street, Cleveland, OH 44102 USA
(216) 651-7315 (216) 651-7317 fax
OhioIndieFilmFest at juno.com
www.ohiofilms.com