[NEohioPAL]Cleveland Public Theatre presents The Very Worst of Varla Jean Merman THIS WEEKEND ONLY

Jeff Syroney jsyroney at cptonline.org
Thu Oct 25 17:26:00 PDT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C15D82.4A537680

The purported love child of Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine drags her one
person show into Cleveland Public Theatre this weekend. Are you ready?

Cleveland Public Theatre
presents
Jeffery Roberson as Varla Jean Merman in

The Very Worst
of Varla Jean Merman

Four Nights Only!!!!
Written and performed by New York performer Jeffery Roberson, The Very Worst
of Varla Jean Merman employs a dizzying vocal range, dazzling costumes, and
a can of pressurized cheese in this multimedia “educational” performance.
Performed in Cleveland Public Theatre’s Mainstage Theatre, The Very Worst of
Varla Jean Merman opens Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 8:00 p.m. with a
limited engagement running through Sunday, October 28, 2001. All
performances will begin at 8:00 p.m. with Sunday’s matinee at 3:00 p.m.
Tickets are $20.00 and $15.00 for seniors and students. The Very Worst of
Varla Jean is one of four other productions within Cleveland Public Theatre’
s Gay Artist Series. Discounts are available for purchasing a Gay Artist
Series Pass.  For reservations or information about the Gay Artist Series or
the Presented Artist Series, please call 216.631.2727.

The purported love-child of the minutes-long marriage between Ethel Merman
and Ernest Borgnine, Varla Jean combines the fiery good looks of Ann
Margret, the décolletage of Dolly Parton, the voice of Joan Sutherland on
Ecstasy, and a comedic punch uniquely her own. Having conquered the
nightclub and theatre worlds of New York and San Francisco with humor both
wise and shameless and a Himalayan vocal range, Varla Jean is ready to make
her first appearance in Cleveland. In describing her one-woman show, she
claims it is more educational than entertaining. “Many of you probably come
to shows at CPT expecting to be entertained.  Well, Varla Jean Merman has no
intention of entertaining anyone. Too obvious.  Too easy.  Every other show
in Cleveland is ‘entertaining.’  Varla Jean has never been one to color
inside the lines.  So, instead of entertaining, Varla Jean is going to give
your brain a big fat hug." This little "more-than-just-a-show" is actually
designed to enliven, enrichen, enlighten and uplift Cleveland audiences out
of the mundane rut that has become our lives. "Many of you, like me, are
School of Hard Knockers - But I still have a thing or two to teach even the
most jaded cosmopolitan. Learn from my life-altering, devastating mistakes!”
says Varla. By the time you leave Varla, you'll know in your heart how you
can make each day of your life better than The Very Worst of Varla Jean
Merman's!

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C15D82.4A537680

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DWindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial>The purported love child of Ethel =
Merman and=20
Ernest Borgnine drags her one person show into Cleveland Public Theatre =
this=20
weekend. Are you ready?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial size=3D3><STRONG>Cleveland Public =
Theatre=20
</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>presents</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial size=3D4>Jeffery Roberson as =
Varla Jean Merman=20
in</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#ff00ff face=3D"Bodoni PosterItalic" =
size=3D6>The Very=20
Worst </FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT color=3D#ff00ff face=3D"Bodoni PosterItalic" =
size=3D6>of Varla=20
Jean Merman</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><STRONG>Four Nights=20
Only!!!!</STRONG> =20
<P align=3Dleft class=3DMsoNormal>Written and performed by New=20
York performer<STRONG> Jeffery Roberson, <I>The Very Worst of Varla =
Jean=20
Merman</I> </STRONG>employs a dizzying vocal range, dazzling costumes, =
and a can=20
of pressurized cheese in this multimedia =93educational=94 performance. =
Performed in=20
Cleveland Public Theatre=92s Mainstage Theatre, <B><I>The Very Worst of =
Varla Jean=20
Merman</I></B> opens <B>Thursday, October 25, 2001 at 8:00 p.m</B>. with =
a=20
limited engagement running through <B>Sunday, October 28, 2001</B>. All=20
performances will begin at 8:00 p.m. with Sunday=92s matinee at 3:00 =
p.m. Tickets=20
are $20.00 and $15.00 for seniors and students. <I>The Very Worst of =
Varla=20
Jean</I> is one of four other productions within Cleveland Public =
Theatre=92s=20
<B>Gay Artist Series</B>. Discounts are available for purchasing a Gay =
Artist=20
Series Pass.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>For =
reservations or=20
information about the Gay Artist Series or the Presented Artist Series, =
please=20
call<B> </B>216.631.2727.</P>
<P align=3Dleft>The purported love-child of the minutes-long marriage =
between=20
<B>Ethel Merman</B> and <B>Ernest Borgnine</B>, Varla Jean combines the =
fiery=20
good looks of <B>Ann Margret</B>, the d=E9colletage of <B>Dolly =
Parton</B>, the=20
voice of <B>Joan Sutherland</B> on Ecstasy, and a comedic punch uniquely =
her=20
own. Having conquered the nightclub and theatre worlds of New York and =
San=20
Francisco with humor both wise and shameless and a Himalayan vocal =
range, Varla=20
Jean is ready to make her first appearance in Cleveland. In describing =
her=20
one-woman show, she claims it is more educational than entertaining. =
=93Many of=20
you probably come to shows at CPT expecting to be entertained.<SPAN=20
style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Well, Varla Jean Merman has no =
intention=20
of entertaining anyone. Too obvious.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: =
yes"> =20
</SPAN>Too easy.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Every =
other show=20
in Cleveland is =91entertaining.=92<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: =
yes"> =20
</SPAN>Varla Jean has never been one to color inside the lines.<SPAN=20
style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>So, instead of entertaining, =
Varla Jean=20
is going to give your brain a big fat hug." This little =
"more-than-just-a-show"=20
is actually designed to enliven, enrichen, enlighten and uplift =
Cleveland=20
audiences out of the mundane rut that has become our lives. "Many of =
you, like=20
me, are School of Hard Knockers - But I still have a thing or two to =
teach even=20
the most jaded cosmopolitan. Learn from my life-altering, devastating =
mistakes!=94=20
says Varla. By the time you leave Varla, you'll know in your heart how =
you can=20
make each day of your life better than The Very Worst of Varla Jean =
Merman's!=20
</P></FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C15D82.4A537680--