[NEohioPAL]Love Lanston, GLTF review by Roy Berko

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 18:52:01 PST 2002

--0-257355596-1012178512=:56102

See attached.

http://auctions.yahoo.com
--0-257355596-1012178512=:56102

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

GLTF CREATES LIVING MONUMENT TO LANGSTON HUGHES<P>
Roy Berko<P>
(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)--<P>
Times Newspapers--<P>
<I>Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times</I><P>
<BR>
     It's become the custom at many Cleveland plays, especially on opening night
when there is an often partial audience of relatives and theatre people, for productions
to get a standing ovation.  True to form the audience at the opening of Great Lakes
Theatre Festival's LOVE, LANGSTON rose to its feet as the curtain fell.   In this case, the
mass rise and cheering voices were well deserved. <I> LOVE, LANGSTON</I> is a tribute to
not only one of Cleveland's greatest literary figures, but to what quality theatre should
be, and GLTF at its finest.<BR>
     Hughes, known as "the poet laureate of Harlem," spent his young adulthood in
Cleveland, graduating from Central High School in 1920.  He was selected as Class
Poet.  The neighborhood was peopled by Jews, Italians and Negroes who blended
together before racism reared its ugly head.  Hughes learned tolerance from this
environment. .  As Hughes said, "It was at Old Central High School that what literary
abilities I have first were incubated.  From [my teachers] I received the inspiration to go
on to what I hope have been larger things." He also spent much time at Karamu where
he acted and wrote drama and poetry under the guidance of such tutors as long-time
Cleveland theatre legends Reuben and Dorothy Silver.<BR>
     Hughes writing is not the voice of just Black people, it is the voice for tolerance,
reason and hope.  This is not a production where whites will cower in their seats while
being lectured to and scolded for past deeds.  LOVE, LANGSTON is a compilation of
poetry and music developed to accent his poetry.  From the "I Am A Negro" which
probes into what it is like to be black in America, through "Freedom Train," "Talk
About the Word Black," "The Great White Race," "A Genius Child," "Love Can Hurt
You More Than Anything," "I've Known Rivers," to the curtain call's "A Dream
Deferred" the writing is purely glorious.  <BR>
     Loni Berry, who adapted the poetry with original music, and was also the play's
director, has a total understanding of Hughes.  Combined with Andre DeShields'
innovative choreography, which was more creative movement than dance, the show
moves creatively and swiftly.  <BR>
     The cast is outstanding...they sing, they dance, they give life to Hughes' words.
It's worth the price of admission just to see Miche Braden in action.  Playing multiple
parts, as do all the cast members, Braden commands the stage whenever she appears.
Her full hips gyrating, her voice booming, her eyes exploding with passion, she is the
complete performer.  <BR>
     Frederick Owens, who has appeared in such Broadway shows as <I>SMOKEY
JOE'S' CAFE</I> and <I>JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR</I> dedicates his grand performance to "my
ancestors who made the way for me." This acknowledgement shows his understanding
of Hughes' message, the need for ever-striving to grow and reach for greatness while
being aware but not obsessing about the past.  <BR>
     The rest of the cast, though not reaching the levels of Braden and Owens, are
excellent.  The musical trio of piano, dums and bass is right on.<BR>
     GLTF would do its audience a favor by listing the poetic and musical
presentations in the program and clarifying to the audience that, in spite of the notation
that the show will be performed without intermission, there is a break.  (Incidentally,
the break was a good idea.  As a one-act, the production might have become tedious.)<BR>
     Go see <I>LOVE, LANGSTON</I> not only because it contains the work of this
Cleveland icon, not because it is so very well done, but because you will leave as a
better person for having shared in the insightful philosophy of a great man!  <BR>
     I've often wondered why there is no monument to Langston Hughes in
Cleveland.  LOVE, LANGSTON well serves as that monument.<BR>
     The Great Lakes Theatre Festival's<I> LOVE, LANGSTON  </I>runs through February 10 at the Ohio
Theatre, Playhouse Square Center, 15th and Euclid Avenue, in Cleveland.  For tickets, which run from
$5 to $42 call 216-241-6000 or 800-766-6048 or stop at the Theatre box office. <P>
<I>THE MALE INTELLECT: AN OXYMORON</I><P>
     When <I>THE MALE INTELLECT: AN OXYMORON</I> <I>THE MALE INTELLECT: AN
OXYMORON</I> ran in Cleveland several years ago I called it one of the funniest and
cleverest performances I've seen.  For those who didn't experience the humor, here's
your chance.  For those who left with sore ribs from laughing, here's your opportunity
to relive the experience.  From February 7-16 Robert Dubac returns in his one man
show intended to illuminate both men and women on whether the war between the
sexes is really a war at all.  The show is presented by The Gathering Place, a wellness
community for those touched by Cancer.  For tickets call 216-241-6000 or 800-766-6048.<P>
<I>THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES</I>--V-DAY FUNDRAISER<P>
     As part of the V-Day 2002 worldwide campaign, the Obie Award-winning <I>THE
VAGINA MONOLOGUES </I>will be performed at the Cleveland Public Theatre, with all
proceeds going to anti-violence organizations throughout the world who work with
women to protect them from rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation and sexual
slavery.  An all star female cast consisting of Cleveland's best actresses will be on-stage.
For tickets to the Sunday, February 17 performance, which cost $25 or $50  call 216-631
2727.  <P>
<I><BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>