[NEohioPAL]Review of Proposals (Beck), CPT dance, Shaw Festival Info

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 10:37:06 PST 2002

--0-1663251587-1014048669=:82536

See attached.

http://sports.yahoo.com
--0-1663251587-1014048669=:82536

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

BECK'S <I>PROPOSALS </I>ENTERTAINS, CPT'S DANCE PROGRAM, SHAW FESTIVAL<P>
Roy Berko<P>
(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)--<P>
THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--<P>
<I>Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times</I><P>
<BR>
     Some plays are perfect fodder for community theatres.  Neil Simon's
<I>PROPOSALS</I>, getting its Cleveland premiere at Beck Center for the Arts, is that kind of
script.  It has everything to delight audiences.  There is a plausible story line, lots of
funny one-liners, conflicted love, and a wonderful voice from the dead.  <BR>
     Neil Simon is the crown prince of American comic theatre.  His 30 plays have
almost all been hits...hits with the public if not always with the critics.   <I>PROPOSALS</I>, in
the vein of <I>BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS</I> and <I>LOST IN YONKERS</I> is not only
entertaining, but renders a message.<BR>
     The story concerns the Hines family and their last summer together at their
summer home in the Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania.  We are carried back to the
1950's by Clemma, the African American cook, housekeeper and nanny of the family.
Acting much like the Greek chorus, she introduces us to the setting and the characters,
and steps in and out of her role as tour guide and participant in the action.  This format
is unique for Simon as he expands beyond his usual pat writing format.  He uses a
narrator, an African American lead character, and the play takes place outside of New
York City. <BR>
     Beck's production, under the guidance of director Sarah May, is a little slowly
paced.  In spite of that the actors sometimes stomp on laugh lines and/or don't cue the
lines to assure audience response.  <BR>
     The cast is uneven.  Joyce M. Meadows is nothing short of outstanding as
Clemma.  It's worth going just to see this woman dominate a stage.  <BR>
     Joe Bandille as Burt Hines, the father/husband, and Jennifer Clifford as his
daughter Josie are also excellent.  James Seward, as Clemma's estranged husband, hits
the right emotional notes.  Joel Nunley as Vinnie, a Mafia-clone, just isn't broad enough
in his characterization.  He loses many lines as his accent comes and goes.  He is also not
helped by wearing a costume totally "unMafiosso." Kellie McIvor, as the airheaded
model, again, was played much too seriously.  The other cast members tend to act
rather than react to the goings-on which leads to surface level performances. <BR>
     Don McBride's set is wonderful...one could smell the woods, feel the dampness
coming off the lake.  Casey Jones 1950's musical selections had the audience singing
along as Doris Day and friends filled the auditorium.  <BR>
     With a wonderful production <I>PROPOSALS </I>could totally enrapture an audience.
Though Beck's production falls short of that, it is still very entertaining.<P>
CLEVELAND PUBLIC THEATRE'S EXCITING DANCE PROGRAMS CONTINUE<P>
     Cleveland Public Theatre has become one of the most exciting entertainment
settings in the area.  Under the guidance of Artistic Director James Levin and Producing
Director Randy Rollison the theatre is not only almost single handled reviving the
Detroit Avenue and West 65th Street area, but it is giving the community exciting
theatre, dance and entertainment.  After completing its most expansive project, the
refurbishing of the Gordon Street Theatre, there is no telling where this group will
venture next.  They have entered Lorain County with its <I>ELYRIA-Y PROGRAM</I> which
focuses on spoken words as a means of expression through weekly classes.<BR>
     With the demise of the Cleveland San Jose Ballet only sporadic dance programs
are available to the community.  CPT stepped in with their <I>DANCEWORKS 02</I> which
allows audiences to examine tap, hip hop, contemporary, modern and international
dance.  Much appreciation to the staff, and in particular Jeff Syroney, co-producer of the
<I>DANCEWORKS 02</I>, for making a major contribution to the local entertainment scene.  <BR>
     <I>SUMIDA RIVER</I> offers a different view of dance than is usually experienced by
local audiences.  The program is based on a 15th century Noh Japanese play,
<I>SUMIDAGAWA,</I> which tells the story of the tragedy of a mother who has lost her child,
and the difficult inner journey of the woman.<BR>
     Denise Fujiwara, the sole dancer, was in total control of her body during the
program.  Every movement, every facial expression, every gesture was a well thought
out vehicle for conveying meaning.  <BR>
     This was not a program for everyone.  The Japanese are noted for their ability to
very slowly and meticulously develop a concept.  The Fujiwara Dance Inventions style
follows that prolonged movement concept.  This is definitely not contemporary in
your-face dance.  It is slow, almost ponderous.  A viewer must accept the almost
mesmerizing small, intricate movements or the experience can be tortuous.   The style
does have its following.  One audience member had driven here from Pittsburgh
specifically to see the performance he had previously experienced in Toronto.  A
Fujiwara Dance Inventions' groupie!<BR>
     Upcoming DANCEWORKS 02 performances are the Cleveland Contemporary
Dance Theatre in <I>ARIA</I>, February 22-24 and <I>FOOD FOR THOUGHT</I>, March 1-3.  For
tickets call 631-2727 X 501.<P>
SHAW FESTIVAL UPDATE<BR>
     Some of the most exciting theatre in North America takes place at the Shaw
Festival in Niagara-on-the Lake, Ontario, Canada, an easy four-hour drive from
Cleveland.<BR>
     If you are planning to attend this year's productions, you'd better start planning
early.  Tickets are selling at a very fast pace with some shows already sold out.  For a
festival brochure, to find out about the wonderful bed and breakfasts in what is called
the most beautiful city in Canada, call 1-800-511-Shaw or go on line at
www.shawfest.sympatico.ca.

</BODY>
</HTML>
--0-1663251587-1014048669=:82536--