[NEohioPAL]Actors' Summit Presents Wayne Turney in The Gospel According to St. Mark

Thackaberr at aol.com Thackaberr at aol.com
Mon Mar 4 08:52:04 PST 2002

--part1_132.a01707d.29b4dfc8_boundary

For Immediate Release
For additional information contact:
Neil Thackaberry 330-342-0800
Hudson,  Ohio

Emmy-Winning Actor Wayne Turney to Perform
The Gospel According to Mark
At Actors' Summit in Hudson
Hudson --

Actors' Summit will present Emmy Award-winning actor Wayne S. Turney in his
solo performance of The Gospel According to St. Mark from March 14 through
March 17 at the theater in Hudson. Performances take place at 8:00 PM
Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays and on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 PM. Staged
by award-winning director Harper Jane McAdoo, this performance of the entire
King James Version of Mark is not a recitation -- it's a unique blend of
drama and storytelling.

The performance is an opportunity to, in Turney's words, "combine my
profession with a profession of faith." It took the seasoned professional
actor and drama teacher more than two months to memorize the 16 chapters of
the book written by the Apostle Mark about the life of Christ. Turney brings
the full range of his dramatic talents to this challenging role, and for more
than 12 years has taken this one-man show to churches and theaters across
America.
"The surprising thing is that the gospel is not only dramatic and a
fascinating story, but that it includes a great deal of humor. I want the
audience to know that it's not only OK, but desirable to laugh -- copiously."
said Turney.

Turney discovered the theatrical potential of the King James Version of Mark
when he saw it performed by British actor Alec McCowen more than 20 years
ago. Turney witnessed one of McCowen's performances and was "dazzled, moved
and enlightened" by the English actor's artistry and seeing the gospel itself
performed.

"Too often we read the Bible in short spurts and we miss the story, the
context. In delving for pearls of wisdom, we miss the boat. A great deal can
be learned by hearing the whole story in one sitting and seeing the sweep of
Jesus -- baptism, ministry, crucifixion and resurrection" -- says Turney.

Turney is perhaps best known for his work while in residence for 13 years at
the Cleveland Play House, performing roles as varied as Custer and Scrooge.
He has also appeared in productions of the Cleveland Orchestra, Cleveland
Opera, Cleveland Institute of Music, and The Great Lakes Theatre Festival. He
was seen every Saturday in Cleveland and other cities on the acclaimed
children's television program "Hickory Hideout," for which he won an Emmy. A
former member of Cleveland State University's theater faculty. He is married
to the Reverend Harper McAdoo Turney, rector of St. Andrew Church, Episcopal,
in Mentor.

At Actors' Summit, Wayne has been seen as Teiresias in Oedipus Rex (which he
also translated); Michael in I Do, I Do; and Sir in The Roar of the
Greasepaint, The Smell of the Crowd. Wayne also serves on the board of
trustees of Actors' Summit.

Harper Jane McAdoo was a well-known actress and director before becoming an
ordained Episcopal Priest. She directed productions at the Cleveland Play
House, including the multi-award winning "The Middle Ages," and productions
for Case Western Reserve University, CSU, The Ohio New Play Festival, and
Cleveland Actors' Theatre Company. She is a recipient of the Hoosier Award
for Excellence for her production of The Shadow Box at Indianapolis' Black
Knight Theatre. The Turneys reside in Bratenahl.

Performance Dates and Tickets
The Gospel According to Mark is scheduled for four performances from March 14
through March 17, 2002. Thursday, Friday and Saturday night performances are
at 8 PM and the Sunday matinee is at 3:30 PM. The performance lasts
approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes including an intermission. All tickets
are $22. Group discounts are available. Discount passes and Good Time Any
Time Coupons are not accepted for this engagement.

Web site
Actors Summit Theater can be found on the web at www.actorssummit.org. For
more details please call MaryJo or Neil at 330-342-0800.

Actors' Summit is a member of PACT, The Professional Alliance of Cleveland
Theaters.

Actors' Summit is working under a Small Professional Theater Contract, a
developmental agreement with Actors' Equity Association (the Union of
professional Actors and Stage managers.)

--part1_132.a01707d.29b4dfc8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>For Immediate Release
<BR>For additional information contact:
<BR>Neil Thackaberry 330-342-0800
<BR>Hudson,  Ohio
<BR>
<BR><P ALIGN=CENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#800040" SIZE=4 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><B>Emmy-Winning Actor Wayne Turney to Perform
<BR><I>The Gospel According to Mark </I>
<BR>At Actors' Summit in Hudson</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B>
<BR><P ALIGN=LEFT>Hudson --
<BR>
<BR>Actors' Summit will present Emmy Award-winning actor Wayne S. Turney in his solo performance of The Gospel According to St. Mark from March 14 through March 17 at the theater in Hudson. Performances take place at 8:00 PM Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays and on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 PM. Staged by award-winning director Harper Jane McAdoo, this performance of the entire King James Version of Mark is not a recitation -- it's a unique blend of drama and storytelling.
<BR>
<BR>The performance is an opportunity to, in Turney's words, "combine my profession with a profession of faith." It took the seasoned professional actor and drama teacher more than two months to memorize the 16 chapters of the book written by the Apostle Mark about the life of Christ. Turney brings the full range of his dramatic talents to this challenging role, and for more than 12 years has taken this one-man show to churches and theaters across America.
<BR>"The surprising thing is that the gospel is not only dramatic and a fascinating story, but that it includes a great deal of humor. I want the audience to know that it's not only OK, but desirable to laugh -- copiously." said Turney.
<BR>
<BR>Turney discovered the theatrical potential of the King James Version of Mark when he saw it performed by British actor Alec McCowen more than 20 years ago. Turney witnessed one of McCowen's performances and was "dazzled, moved and enlightened" by the English actor's artistry and seeing the gospel itself performed.
<BR>
<BR>"Too often we read the Bible in short spurts and we miss the story, the context. In delving for pearls of wisdom, we miss the boat. A great deal can be learned by hearing the whole story in one sitting and seeing the sweep of Jesus -- baptism, ministry, crucifixion and resurrection" -- says Turney.
<BR>
<BR>Turney is perhaps best known for his work while in residence for 13 years at the Cleveland Play House, performing roles as varied as Custer and Scrooge. He has also appeared in productions of the Cleveland Orchestra, Cleveland Opera, Cleveland Institute of Music, and The Great Lakes Theatre Festival. He was seen every Saturday in Cleveland and other cities on the acclaimed children's television program "Hickory Hideout," for which he won an Emmy. A former member of Cleveland State University's theater faculty. He is married to the Reverend Harper McAdoo Turney, rector of St. Andrew Church, Episcopal, in Mentor.
<BR>
<BR>At Actors' Summit, Wayne has been seen as Teiresias in Oedipus Rex (which he also translated); Michael in I Do, I Do; and Sir in The Roar of the Greasepaint, The Smell of the Crowd. Wayne also serves on the board of trustees of Actors' Summit.
<BR>
<BR>Harper Jane McAdoo was a well-known actress and director before becoming an ordained Episcopal Priest. She directed productions at the Cleveland Play House, including the multi-award winning "The Middle Ages," and productions for Case Western Reserve University, CSU, The Ohio New Play Festival, and Cleveland Actors' Theatre Company. She is a recipient of the Hoosier Award for Excellence for her production of The Shadow Box at Indianapolis' Black Knight Theatre. The Turneys reside in Bratenahl.
<BR>
<BR>Performance Dates and Tickets
<BR>The Gospel According to Mark is scheduled for four performances from March 14 through March 17, 2002. Thursday, Friday and Saturday night performances are at 8 PM and the Sunday matinee is at 3:30 PM. The performance lasts approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes including an intermission. All tickets are $22. Group discounts are available. Discount passes and Good Time Any Time Coupons are not accepted for this engagement.
<BR>
<BR>Web site
<BR>Actors Summit Theater can be found on the web at www.actorssummit.org. For more details please call MaryJo or Neil at 330-342-0800.
<BR>
<BR>Actors' Summit is a member of PACT, The Professional Alliance of Cleveland Theaters.
<BR>
<BR>Actors' Summit is working under a Small Professional Theater Contract, a developmental agreement with Actors' Equity Association (the Union of professional Actors and Stage managers.)</P></P></FONT></HTML>

--part1_132.a01707d.29b4dfc8_boundary--