[NEohioPAL]CTC News: Ping Chong, Benefit, Workshops

MargLynch at aol.com MargLynch at aol.com
Tue Mar 5 07:16:07 PST 2002

--part1_24.21cf28c7.29b5e1f3_boundary

Dear Friend, consider becoming a member of the Cleveland Theater Collective.=
 =20
This online newsletter contains information about discounted ticket offers,=20
our upcoming benefit, and three workshops to be held in March and April.  Yo=
u=20
must be a member to participate in the benefit and in workshops.  For more=20
information, visit our website:  www.ctcollective.org. =20

CTC NEWS     March 5, 2002
            The Cleveland Theater Collective:=20
            Promoting the Professional Development of Cleveland-Area Theater=
=20
Artists

Q & A with Ping Chong

Ping Chong is an internationally celebrated theater director, choreographer,=
=20
and video and installation artist who has created numerous award-winning=20
works exploring the intersection of race, culture, history, art, media and=20
technology in the modern world.  He's coming to Cleveland this weekend under=
=20
the auspices of The Center for Arts and Culture at Cuyahoga Community=20
College.  His stunning staging of "Edda: Viking Tales of Lust, Revenge and=20
Family"=E2=80=93a collaboration with the Early Music ensemble Sequentia=E2=
=80=93retells=20
ancient Icelandic legends of envy, gold lust and revenge.  Tri-C is offering=
=20
a special CTC discount to the presentation, which will be preceded on Friday=
,=20
March 8, by a question and answer session with Ping Chong, moderated by Tri-=
C=20
faculty member and CTC member Brian Zoldessy.  Take advantage of this rare=20
opportunity to meet and talk with one of the most visionary theater artists=20
of our time.  The pre-performance Q&A is at 7 pm, Friday, March 8 ; the=20
performance is at 8 pm.  The performance is also repeated on Saturday, March=
=20
9, at 8 pm.  CTC members can receive a 20% discount to either performance=20
(full ticket price is $18).  Call tickets.com at 216-241-6000 to reserve=20
tickets; refer to the discount code "JN."  Discount tickets can also be=20
purchased at the door; show your membership card and ask for the discount=20
coded "JN."  For further information, call J.  Kay Coughlin at CCC Center fo=
r=20
Arts and Culture, 216-987-2544.

BENEFIT

CTC's second annual benefit will be held Monday, May 20, at the Cleveland=20
Play House.  Once again, the benefit will consist of a series of comic=20
sketches that spoof and celebrate the joys of making theater in Cleveland. =20
The planning process has begun; we welcome the participation of all Clevelan=
d=20
Theater Collective members.  Look for more announcements about the benefit t=
o=20
follow shortly; check our website (www.ctcollective.org) for updates about=20
planning sessions. =20

GLTF DISCOUNT

Once again, GLTF is offering a deep discount for CTC members for Moon for th=
e=20
Misbegotten.  Rather than incur the expense of xeroxing and mailing the=20
flyer; we're broadcasting the offer here.  Eugene O'Neill's Moon for the=20
Misbegotten, with former GLTF artistic director Vincent Dowling and actress=20
Deirdre Ring heading the cast, runs March 14 - 30 at the Ohio Theatre.=20
Contact education associate Kelly Schaffer Florian, 216-241-5490, ext. 318,=20
if you'd like to take advantage of GLTF's $10 ticket offer for CTC members.

WORKSHOPS ANNOUNCED

Staging a Classic: O'Neill's The Hairy Ape

Presented by David Herskovits, Artistic Director, Target Margin, and Guest =20=
 =20
             Director, Cleveland Public Theatre
At Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Avenue
Fee:    $25; register by March 15
Three Sessions:=20
1) Monday, March 18, 6-8 pm: Participate in Workshop Presentation and  =20
Discussion.
2) Tuesday or Wednesday, March 19 or 20,8 pm: Attend either Dress Rehearsal=20
of The Hairy Ape, and listen to notes afterwards.
3) Friday, March 22, lunch or other time to be agreed upon by participants:=20
Reflect on the production process with David Herskovits over coffee. =20

David Herskovits is one of the most exciting directors working in New York=20
today.  Artistic Director of Target Margin, an ensemble he founded in 1991,=20
Herskovits has an abiding commitment to staging classic dramatic texts.  But=
=20
as he told an interviewer in October 2001, "Our work is all about finding an=
=20
unexpected detour that brings you back home.  We look for twists and turns,=20
for disruptions and shifts in tone, for eccentric ways to frame the stage=20
event, because we believe that these are the gestures that make artistry mos=
t=20
potent."  Familiarize or re-familiarize yourself with The Hairy Ape and join=
=20
Herskovits as he opens up his process for discussion about bringing a classi=
c=20
to life.  For directors, designers, actors, and all interested parties. =20
Details to be confirmed with participants in advance of March 18. =20

Advanced Technique: Challenges for the Working Actor

Presented by James Bundy, Artistic Director, Great Lakes Theater Festival
Dates, Three Sessions: Saturdays, April 6, April 27, and May 4, 10 am - 2 pm
In Second City Space, 8th Floor, Room 819, Hanna Building, 1422 Euclid Avenu=
Fee:    $75 for three sessions
Deadline for registration: Monday, April 1, so that scenes and scene partner=
s=20
can be assigned in advance of the first session
Class is limited to 10 participants; please don't take a slot if you can't=20
make all three dates.

GLTF Artistic Director James Bundy offers a master class for actors before h=
e=20
heads to Yale, his alma mater, where he will assume a joint appointment as=20
Dean of the Yale School of Drama and Artistic Director of Yale Repertory=20
Theatre.  Bundy will use scenes from Chekhov as the basis for working=20
sessions with partners.  Expect to work on and memorize scenes between=20
sessions.    =20

Shakespeare Text: Analyzing and Communicating Romeo and Juliet

Presented by Ralph Zito, Juilliard School
Date: Saturday, April 13, 10 am - 1 pm
In Second City Space, 8th Floor, Room 819, Hanna Building, 1422 Euclid Avenu=
Fee:    $30
Deadline for registration: Wednesday, April 10

Ralph Zito, who received his training at Yale University and is=20
Alexander-certified, currently heads the voice and speech department at the=20
Juilliard School in New York.  He is serving as voice coach for Great Lakes=20
Theater Festival's production of Romeo and Juliet.  Using passages from Rome=
o=20
and Juliet, Zito will take participants through the process of analyzing,=20
articulating and communicating Shakespeare's text.  =20

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----  ----- ----- ----- ----- ---
WORKSHOP REGISTRATION

NAME;               _______________________________________________________

ADDRESS;        _______________________________________________________

                        =20

PHONE:             _______________________________________________________

E-MAIL:             _______________________________________________________
      =20
I would like to register for the following workshop(s):                    =20=
 =20
 Enclosed:

_____    David Herskovits, Staging a Classic
             March 18, March 19 or 20 and March 22        Fee:    $25      =20=
 =20
     ________
      =20
_____    James Bundy, Advanced Technique: Challenges for the Working Actor
             April 6, April 27, and May 4                          Fee:   =20
$75              ________

_____    Ralph Zito, Shakespeare Text=20
             April 13                                                      =20
Fee:    $30              ________

_____    I am not yet a 2002 CTC member; I enclose my 2002 membership=20
                                                                           =20=
 =20
Fee: $20                  ________
         =20
                                                                       TOTAL=
=20
ENCLOSED:        ________

PRINT REGISTRATION FORM AND MAIL CHECK PAYABLE TO: =20
=20
                   CLEVELAND THEATER COLLECTIVE
                   17115 ERNADALE AVENUE
                   CLEVELAND, OHIO 44111

--part1_24.21cf28c7.29b5e1f3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2><B>Dear Friend, consider=20=
becoming a member of the Cleveland Theater Collective.  This online new=
sletter contains information about discounted ticket offers, our upcoming be=
nefit, and three workshops to be held in March and April.  You must be=20=
a member to participate in the benefit and in workshops.  For more info=
rmation, visit our website:  www.ctcollective.org.
<BR>
<BR>CTC NEWS     March 5, 2002</B>
<BR>            The C=
leveland Theater Collective:=20
<BR>            Promo=
ting the Professional Development of Cleveland-Area Theater Artists
<BR>
<BR><B>Q & A with Ping Chong</B>
<BR>
<BR>Ping Chong is an internationally celebrated theater director, choreograp=
her, and video and installation artist who has created numerous award-winnin=
g works exploring the intersection of race, culture, history, art, media and=
 technology in the modern world.  He's coming to Cleveland this weekend=
 under the auspices of The Center for Arts and Culture at Cuyahoga Community=
 College.  His stunning staging of "Edda: Viking Tales of Lust, Revenge=
 and Family"=E2=80=93a collaboration with the Early Music ensemble Sequentia=
=E2=80=93retells ancient Icelandic legends of envy, gold lust and revenge. &=
nbsp;Tri-C is offering a special CTC discount to the presentation, which wil=
l be preceded on Friday, March 8, by a question and answer session with Ping=
 Chong, moderated by Tri-C faculty member and CTC member Brian Zoldessy. &nb=
sp;Take advantage of this rare opportunity to meet and talk with one of the=20=
most visionary theater artists of our time.  The pre-performance Q&=
A is at 7 pm, Friday, March 8 ; the performance is at 8 pm.  The perfor=
mance is also repeated on Saturday, March 9, at 8 pm.  CTC members can=20=
receive a 20% discount to either performance (full ticket price is $18). &nb=
sp;Call tickets.com at 216-241-6000 to reserve tickets; refer to the discoun=
t code "JN."  Discount tickets can also be purchased at the door; show=20=
your membership card and ask for the discount coded "JN."  For further=20=
information, call J.  Kay Coughlin at CCC Center for Arts and Culture,=20=
216-987-2544.
<BR>
<BR><B>BENEFIT</B>
<BR>
<BR>CTC's second annual benefit will be held Monday, May 20, at the Clevelan=
d Play House.  Once again, the benefit will consist of a series of comi=
c sketches that spoof and celebrate the joys of making theater in Cleveland.=
  The planning process has begun; we welcome the participation of all C=
leveland Theater Collective members.  Look for more announcements about=
 the benefit to follow shortly; check our website (www.ctcollective.org) for=
 updates about planning sessions.
<BR>
<BR><B>GLTF DISCOUNT</B>
<BR>
<BR>Once again, GLTF is offering a deep discount for CTC members for <I>Moon=
 for the Misbegotten</I>.  Rather than incur the expense of xeroxing an=
d mailing the flyer; we're broadcasting the offer here.  Eugene O'Neill=
's <I>Moon for the Misbegotten</I>, with former GLTF artistic director Vince=
nt Dowling and actress Deirdre Ring heading the cast, runs March 14 - 30 at=20=
the Ohio Theatre. Contact education associate Kelly Schaffer Florian, 216-24=
1-5490, ext. 318, if you'd like to take advantage of GLTF's $10 ticket offer=
 for CTC members.
<BR>
<BR><B>WORKSHOPS ANNOUNCED</B>
<BR>
<BR><B><U>Staging a Classic: O'Neill's The Hairy Ape
<BR></B></U>
<BR>Presented by David Herskovits, Artistic Director, Target Margin, and Gue=
st             &=
nbsp;   Director, Cleveland Public Theatre
<BR>At Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Avenue
<BR>Fee:    $25; register by March 15
<BR>Three Sessions:=20
<BR>1) Monday, March 18, 6-8 pm: Participate in Workshop Presentation and &n=
bsp; Discussion.
<BR>2) Tuesday or Wednesday, March 19 or 20,8 pm: Attend either Dress Rehear=
sal of The Hairy Ape, and listen to notes afterwards.
<BR>3) Friday, March 22, lunch or other time to be agreed upon by participan=
ts: Reflect on the production process with David Herskovits over coffee. &nb=
sp;
<BR>
<BR>David Herskovits is one of the most exciting directors working in New Yo=
rk today.  Artistic Director of Target Margin, an ensemble he founded i=
n 1991, Herskovits has an abiding commitment to staging classic dramatic tex=
ts.  But as he told an interviewer in October 2001, "Our work is all ab=
out finding an unexpected detour that brings you back home.  We look fo=
r twists and turns, for disruptions and shifts in tone, for eccentric ways t=
o frame the stage event, because we believe that these are the gestures that=
 make artistry most potent."  Familiarize or re-familiarize yourself wi=
th The Hairy Ape and join Herskovits as he opens up his process for discussi=
on about bringing a classic to life.  For directors, designers, actors,=
 and all interested parties.  Details to be confirmed with participants=
 in advance of March 18.
<BR>
<BR><B><U>Advanced Technique: Challenges for the Working Actor</B></U>
<BR>
<BR>Presented by James Bundy, Artistic Director, Great Lakes Theater Festiva=
<BR>Dates, Three Sessions: Saturdays, April 6, April 27, and May 4, 10 am -=20=
2 pm
<BR>In Second City Space, 8th Floor, Room 819, Hanna Building, 1422 Euclid A=
venue
<BR>Fee:    $75 for three sessions
<BR>Deadline for registration: Monday, April 1, so that scenes and scene par=
tners can be assigned in advance of the first session
<BR>Class is limited to 10 participants; please don't take a slot if you can=
't make all three dates.
<BR>
<BR>GLTF Artistic Director James Bundy offers a master class for actors befo=
re he heads to Yale, his alma mater, where he will assume a joint appointmen=
t as Dean of the Yale School of Drama and Artistic Director of Yale Repertor=
y Theatre.  Bundy will use scenes from Chekhov as the basis for working=
 sessions with partners.  Expect to work on and memorize scenes between=
 sessions.
<BR>
<BR><B><U>Shakespeare Text: Analyzing and Communicating Romeo and Juliet</B>=
</U>
<BR>
<BR>Presented by Ralph Zito, Juilliard School
<BR>Date: Saturday, April 13, 10 am - 1 pm
<BR>In Second City Space, 8th Floor, Room 819, Hanna Building, 1422 Euclid A=
venue
<BR>Fee:    $30
<BR>Deadline for registration: Wednesday, April 10
<BR>
<BR>Ralph Zito, who received his training at Yale University and is Alexande=
r-certified, currently heads the voice and speech department at the Juilliar=
d School in New York.  He is serving as voice coach for Great Lakes The=
ater Festival's production of Romeo and Juliet.  Using passages from Ro=
meo and Juliet, Zito will take participants through the process of analyzing=
, articulating and communicating Shakespeare's text.
<BR>
<BR>----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----  ----- ----- -----=20=
----- ---
<BR><B>WORKSHOP REGISTRATION</B>
<BR>
<BR>NAME;            =
<BR>
<BR>ADDRESS;        _____________________=
__________________________________
<BR>
<BR>            &nbsp=
;            ___=
<BR>
<BR>PHONE:           &nbsp=
; _______________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>E-MAIL:           &nbs=
p; _______________________________________________________
<BR>
<BR>I would like to register for the following workshop(s):   &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;       Enclosed:
<BR>
<BR>_____    David Herskovits, Staging a Classic
<BR>            &nbsp=
;March 18, March 19 or 20 and March 22       &=
nbsp;Fee:    $25        &n=
bsp;     ________
<BR>
<BR>_____    James Bundy, Advanced Technique: Challenges for=20=
the Working Actor
<BR>            &nbsp=
;April 6, April 27, and May 4        &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;    Fee:    $75    &nb=
sp;         ________
<BR>
<BR>_____    Ralph Zito, Shakespeare Text=20
<BR>            &nbsp=
;April 13            =
            &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;            =
     Fee:    $30    &=
nbsp;         ________
<BR>
<BR>_____    I am not yet a 2002 CTC member; I enclose my 200=
2 membership=20
<BR>            &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp; Fee: $20          &n=
bsp;       ________
<BR>
<BR>            &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;       TOTAL ENCLOSED:   &nb=
sp;    ________
<BR>
<BR>PRINT REGISTRATION FORM AND MAIL CHECK PAYABLE TO:
<BR>=20
<BR>            &nbsp=
;      CLEVELAND THEATER COLLECTIVE
<BR>            &nbsp=
;      17115 ERNADALE AVENUE
<BR>            &nbsp=
;      CLEVELAND, OHIO 44111</FONT></HTML>

--part1_24.21cf28c7.29b5e1f3_boundary--