[NEohioPAL]Actors' Summit opens Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Thackaberr at aol.com Thackaberr at aol.com
Wed Mar 27 10:45:02 PST 2002

--part1_130.baa9ecc.29d34cc3_boundary

For Immediate Release
For additional information contact:
Neil Thackaberry 330-342-0800

Hudson, Ohio                                     March 28, 2002

Actors' Summit Theater announces opening
of Edward Albee's Tony award-winning drama
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

       Actors' Summit announces the opening of Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of
Virginia Woolf? at its theater, 86 Owen Brown Street, one block north and two
blocks west of the clock tower, in downtown Hudson. A preview performance on
April 4 will be followed by an 11 performance run with a scheduled closing on
April 21.

The Play
       Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? could be described as a long night's
journey into day. Playwright Edward Albee has called his work "an examination
of the American Scene..." and "...a stand against the fiction that everything
in this slipping land of ours is peachy-keen." It is obvious from the moment
the lights go up that nothing is peachy-keen in the lives of Martha and
George, a middle-aged academic couple who draw upon 23 years of wedded blitz
to entertain, insult and torment the much-younger Honey and Nick, who accept
their invitation for a nightcap in the wee hours after a faculty party. The
savage and angry language so shocked some when the play was new 40 years ago
that the underlying humor was overlooked. The humor is still there and comes
across loud and clear in this contemporary production.

The Cast
       Thomas W. Fulton (George) is one of the area's best-known actors. He
was a member of the Cleveland Play House resident company for many years and
was seen last summer at Cain Park in The Sound of Music.
       Paula Duesing (Martha) is also a veteran of the Cleveland Play House
resident company. Her Actors' Summit credits include Esther in our inaugural
production, The Price, Dr. Vivian Bearing in Wit and Dylan Thomas' mother in
A Child's Christmas in Wales. Other recent credits include roles in The
Cripple of Inishmann at Dobama Theatre and The Kentucky Cycle at Ensemble
Theatre.
       Peter Voinovich (Nick) portrayed another character named Nick in the
January production of Over the River and Through the Woods. Other Actors'
Summit credits include Dylan Thomas in A Child's Christmas in Wales and
performances in Wit, The Gingerbread Lady and Romeo & Juliet. Peter is a
trustee of Actors' Summit.
       Susanna Hobrath (Honey) is making her third Actors' Summit appearance,
having just completed the role of Catherine in The Memory of Water  and
portraying  Caitlin O'Hare opposite Peter Voinovich in Over the River and
Through the Woods.  Susanna designed and maintains the Actors' Summit website
(www.actorssummit.org).

The Playwright
       Edward Albee, three times honored with the Pulitzer Prize, has been
hailed as the father of American absurdist drama. The Pulitzer committee
considered, then rejected Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf in 1962, but it won
the Tony for best drama. Albee won Pulitzer prizes for A Delicate Balance in
1966, Seascape in 1975 and Three Tall Women in 1994.

The Production Team
       The production is directed by A. Neil Thackaberry, artistic director
of Actors' Summit Theater. Set and lighting designs are by resident designer
Bob Stegmiller. Costume and prop design are by MaryJo Alexander, associate
artistic director, who also is the production stage manager.

Performance Dates and Tickets
       Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? runs from April 4 through April 21,
2002, at 8 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday and 3:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets
are $22 on Fridays and Saturdays and $20 on Thursdays and Sundays. Students
and Seniors receive a $4 discount. All tickets are $14 at the preview
performance. Group discounts are available.

Web site
       Actors Summit Theater can be found on the web at www.actorssummit.org.
Actors' Summit is a professional, not for profit, 501-c-3 professional arts
organization. We are seeking volunteers and board members. For more details
please call MaryJo or Neil at 330-342-0800.

Actors' Summit is a member of PACT, The Professional Alliance of Cleveland
Theaters.

Actors' Summit is working under a developmental agreement with Actors' Equity
Association (the Union of professional Actors and Stage managers.)

--part1_130.baa9ecc.29d34cc3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>For Immediate Release
<BR>For additional information contact:
<BR>Neil Thackaberry 330-342-0800
<BR>
<BR>Hudson, Ohio                                     March 28, 2002
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><P ALIGN=CENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=4 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><B>Actors' Summit Theater announces opening
<BR>of Edward Albee's Tony award-winning drama
<BR><I>Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B></I>
<BR><P ALIGN=LEFT>
<BR>       Actors' Summit announces the opening of Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? at its theater, 86 Owen Brown Street, one block north and two blocks west of the clock tower, in downtown Hudson. A preview performance on April 4 will be followed by an 11 performance run with a scheduled closing on April 21.
<BR>
<BR>The Play
<BR>       <I>Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?</I> could be described as a long night's journey into day. Playwright Edward Albee has called his work "an examination of the American Scene..." and "...a stand against the fiction that everything in this slipping land of ours is peachy-keen." It is obvious from the moment the lights go up that nothing is peachy-keen in the lives of Martha and George, a middle-aged academic couple who draw upon 23 years of wedded blitz to entertain, insult and torment the much-younger Honey and Nick, who accept their invitation for a nightcap in the wee hours after a faculty party. The savage and angry language so shocked some when the play was new 40 years ago that the underlying humor was overlooked. The humor is still there and comes across loud and clear in this contemporary production.
<BR>
<BR>The Cast
<BR>       Thomas W. Fulton (George) is one of the area's best-known actors. He was a member of the Cleveland Play House resident company for many years and was seen last summer at Cain Park in <I>The Sound of Music</I>.
<BR>       Paula Duesing (Martha) is also a veteran of the Cleveland Play House resident company. Her Actors' Summit credits include Esther in our inaugural production, <I>The Price</I>, Dr. Vivian Bearing in <I>Wit</I> and Dylan Thomas' mother in <I>A Child's Christmas in Wales</I>. Other recent credits include roles in <I>The Cripple of Inishmann</I> at Dobama Theatre and <I>The Kentucky Cycle</I> at Ensemble Theatre.
<BR>       Peter Voinovich (Nick) portrayed another character named Nick in the January production of <I>Over the River and Through the Woods</I>. Other Actors' Summit credits include Dylan Thomas in <I>A Child's Christmas in Wales</I> and performances in <I>Wit, The Gingerbread Lady</I> and <I>Romeo & Juliet</I>. Peter is a trustee of Actors' Summit.
<BR>       Susanna Hobrath (Honey) is making her third Actors' Summit appearance, having just completed the role of Catherine in <I>The Memory of Water</I>  and portraying  Caitlin O'Hare opposite Peter Voinovich in <I>Over the River and Through the Woods</I>.  Susanna designed and maintains the Actors' Summit website (www.actorssummit.org).
<BR>
<BR>The Playwright
<BR>       Edward Albee, three times honored with the Pulitzer Prize, has been hailed as the father of American absurdist drama. The Pulitzer committee considered, then rejected <I>Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf</I> in 1962, but it won the Tony for best drama. Albee won Pulitzer prizes for <I>A Delicate Balance</I> in 1966, <I>Seascape</I> in 1975 and <I>Three Tall Women</I> in 1994.
<BR>
<BR>The Production Team
<BR>       The production is directed by A. Neil Thackaberry, artistic director of Actors' Summit Theater. Set and lighting designs are by resident designer Bob Stegmiller. Costume and prop design are by MaryJo Alexander, associate artistic director, who also is the production stage manager.
<BR>
<BR>Performance Dates and Tickets
<BR>       <I>Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?</I> runs from April 4 through April 21, 2002, at 8 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday and 3:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $22 on Fridays and Saturdays and $20 on Thursdays and Sundays. Students and Seniors receive a $4 discount. All tickets are $14 at the preview performance. Group discounts are available.
<BR>
<BR>Web site
<BR>       Actors Summit Theater can be found on the web at www.actorssummit.org. Actors' Summit is a professional, not for profit, 501-c-3 professional arts organization. We are seeking volunteers and board members. For more details please call MaryJo or Neil at 330-342-0800.
<BR>
<BR>Actors' Summit is a member of PACT, The Professional Alliance of Cleveland Theaters.
<BR>
<BR>Actors' Summit is working under a developmental agreement with Actors' Equity Association (the Union of professional Actors and Stage managers.)
<BR></P></P></FONT></HTML>

--part1_130.baa9ecc.29d34cc3_boundary--