[NEohioPAL]CHARLIE VICTOR ROMEO THIS WEEKEND

Coughlin, Kay Kay.Coughlin at tri-c.cc.oh.us
Tue Apr 2 10:39:12 PST 2002

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DA5A.21AC3410

Cuyahoga Community College
CENTER FOR ARTS AND CULTURE
CONTEMPORARY VISIONS SERIES PRESENTS
CHARLIE VICTOR ROMEO
CVR/COCKPIT VOICE RECORDER
THURSDAY, APRIL 4, 2002 - 8 P.M.
FRIDAY, APRIL 5 - 8 P.M.
PERFORMING ARTS CENTER (EAST CAMPUS THEATRE)
Tickets: $18; call tickets.com at 216-241-6000 or purchase tickets at the
box office, open 2 hours prior to each performance.

Charlie Victor Romeo (CVR) is a live performance documentary derived
entirely from the black box or cockpit voice recorders (also known as
charlie victor romeos), transcripts from six major real-life airline
emergencies.  CVR allows the audience to enter the tension-filled cockpits
of actual flights in distress, in-flight airline emergencies.  CVR is a
fascinating portrait of the psychology of crisis and a testimony to the
ability to live to the last second of life.  What is going on up there
behind the door in the front of the airplane?  Who are these people we trust
our lives to, and what do they really do when things go horribly wrong?

The performance begins with flight attendants issuing standard safety
instructions and then suddenly mundane cockpit conversation about weather
and fuel is interrupted by shrill alarms from the instrument panel
indicating a flight gone awry.  Attendees are sure to shift to the edge of
their seats as this reality-based portrayal recreates the six airline
emergencies, from failed engines to malfunctioning flight controls, and
incorrect readings.

Created by Bob Berger, Patrick Daniels, and Irving Gregory with sound design
by Jamie Mereness, Charlie Victor Romeo opened in the fall of 1999 at the
Collective: Unconscious Theater in the heart of New York's Lower East Side's
thriving artistic community.  Due to the overwhelming response from the
press, aviation community and the general public, CVR extended five times in
an entirely sold-out eight-month run and is now on a national tour.

As this experimental theatre piece was booked prior to the September 11th
tragedy, we hope to sensitively provide a context for our audience to
meaningfully experience the performances: we are hosting debriefing sessions
facilitated by representatives of The Katan Center of the Cleveland
Psychoanalytic Society immediately following both performances.

Embraced by the aviation community for its unsparing truthfulness and
dedication to its non-sensation approach, Charlie Victor Romeo has been
filmed by the US Air Force as a training video for pilots and has been
observed by West Point cadets enrolled in courses studying engineering
psychology and human error.

CVR has also generated great interest from the medical community and has
been performed for groups of physicians and healthcare administrators
studying the effects of human error and emergencies in a medical context.

Charlie Victor Romeo has received several awards and has been heralded as an
important dramatic and technical work by many including The New York Times,
The Wall Street Journal and PBS's "NewsHour with Jim Lehrer."
Note: Content includes adult language and themes.

J. Kay Coughlin
CCC Center for Arts and Culture
216/987-2544

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DA5A.21AC3410

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2654.45">
<TITLE>CHARLIE VICTOR ROMEO THIS WEEKEND</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Cuyahoga Community =
College</FONT></B></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">CENTER FOR ARTS AND =
CULTURE</FONT></B></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">CONTEMPORARY VISIONS =
SERIES PRESENTS</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">CHARLIE VICTOR =
ROMEO</FONT></B></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">CVR/COCKPIT VOICE =
RECORDER</FONT></I></B></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">THURSDAY, APRIL 4, 2002 =
- 8 P.M.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">FRIDAY, APRIL 5 - 8 =
P.M.</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">PERFORMING ARTS CENTER =
(EAST CAMPUS THEATRE)</FONT></P>

<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Tickets: $18; call =
tickets.com at 216-241-6000 or purchase tickets at the box office, open =
2 hours prior to each performance.</FONT><B></B><B><I></I></B></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Charlie Victor Romeo (CVR) is a live =
performance documentary derived entirely from the black box or cockpit =
voice recorders (also known as charlie victor romeos), transcripts from =
six major real-life airline emergencies.  CVR allows the audience =
to enter the tension-filled cockpits of actual flights in distress, =
in-flight airline emergencies.  CVR is a fascinating portrait of =
the psychology of crisis and a testimony to the ability to live to the =
last second of life.  What is going on up there behind the door in =
the front of the airplane?  Who are these people we trust our =
lives to, and what do they really do when things go horribly =
wrong?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The performance begins with flight =
attendants issuing standard safety instructions and then suddenly =
mundane cockpit conversation about weather and fuel is interrupted by =
shrill alarms from the instrument panel indicating a flight gone =
awry.  Attendees are sure to shift to the edge of their seats as =
this reality-based portrayal recreates the six airline emergencies, =
from failed engines to malfunctioning flight controls, and incorrect =
readings.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Created by Bob Berger, Patrick =
Daniels, and Irving Gregory with sound design by Jamie Mereness, =
Charlie Victor Romeo opened in the fall of 1999 at the Collective: =
Unconscious Theater in the heart of New York's Lower East Side's =
thriving artistic community.  Due to the overwhelming response =
from the press, aviation community and the general public, CVR extended =
five times in an entirely sold-out eight-month run and is now on a =
national tour.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">As this experimental theatre piece was =
booked prior to the September 11th tragedy, we hope to sensitively =
provide a context for our audience to meaningfully experience the =
performances: we are hosting debriefing sessions facilitated by =
representatives of The Katan Center of the Cleveland Psychoanalytic =
Society immediately following both performances.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Embraced by the aviation community for =
its unsparing truthfulness and dedication to its non-sensation =
approach, Charlie Victor Romeo has been filmed by the US Air Force as a =
training video for pilots and has been observed by West Point cadets =
enrolled in courses studying engineering psychology and human =
error.  </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">CVR has also generated great interest =
from the medical community and has been performed for groups of =
physicians and healthcare administrators studying the effects of human =
error and emergencies in a medical context.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Charlie Victor Romeo has received =
several awards and has been heralded as an important dramatic and =
technical work by many including</FONT><I> <FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">The New York Times</FONT></I><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">,</FONT><I> <FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The Wall =
Street Journal</FONT></I> <FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">and PBS's =
"NewsHour with Jim Lehrer."</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Note: Content includes adult language =
and themes.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#800080" FACE=3D"Arial">J. Kay Coughlin</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#800080" FACE=3D"Arial">CCC Center for Arts and =
Culture</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#800080" FACE=3D"Arial">216/987-2544</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DA5A.21AC3410--