[NEohioPAL]Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf ?

John Buck, Jr. john.buck.jr at usa.net
Tue Apr 9 20:02:02 PDT 2002

Just wanted to let as many people know as I could that Nancy and I saw the
show last Saturday night and totally agree with Bob Snook and John Nelson,
when they say: "...If you have not seen the play, don't miss it.  If you
have seen it, see it again for some remarkable performances, particularly
from Paula Duesing heading a strong cast.  Paula IS Martha and it is amazing
to see an actor so given over to a character that the edges between
performer and performance are completely blurred.  This theatre deserves
support at the highest level so that work like this can continue.   We hope
you will go to see it."

The whole cast is marvelous, Tom Fulton has some absolutely wonderful
moments and the very difficult roles of Honey and Nick are beautifully
handled by Susanna Hobrath and Peter Voinovich.  Neil has done a great job
of staging, and MaryJo has done a fantastic job of costume, prop and set
dressing.  The set, like the set for the only other show that I've seen at
that location "Over The River And Through The Woods," is perfect.  This is a
completely professional production in every way.  The Actors' Summit space
is comfortable and pleasant to be in.  There is an antiques shop in the same
building which is open during intermission....  and it was only a 40 minute
drive from our house....

I read, with some dismay, the review in the PD yesterday morning...  This
show, and the people involved in it, need and deserve our support!  They
have worked hard on a difficult piece, and their craftsmanship is superb.
It is a good show, put together by people who have devoted their lives to
their craft.  They, at the very least, deserve our respect.  They certainly
have mine.

These characters are familiar.  That's the genius of Albee.  That they can
be brought to life, lifted off of the page to penetrate our consciousness,
is the gift that those who are involved with the production give to us, the
audience.

John Buck, Jr.