[NEohioPAL]Mike and Ike Parody Review of the University of Akron's "Robber Bridegroom"

Jeff Holland rdoughnuts at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 00:54:20 PDT 2002

--0-1658617588-1018757309=:35476

WARNING:  This review has been rated PG-13 by the Theatrical Critics Association of America.  It is not intended for small children, pregnant women, or people with no sense of humor.  If you fit into any of these categories, might I suggest reading Family Circus or Ziggy.  You have been warned--Jeff Holland

The following conversation was thought up over the last month during the rehearsal process.

Ike:  Well, I liked it!

Mike:  That's a shocker!  The play takes place in the deep south.  Probably felt like a family reunion.

I:  Oh, you mean like how you got when we saw Corpus Christie?

M:  Shut up.

I:  Okay,  I admit it.  The accents did help my enjoyment of the show.  Plus,  there's the fact that it's pissin' some people off.

M:  There is that, yes.

I:  All right!  There is some comic abuse towards women in this show.  It's there, but for the love of God, this ain't the musical version of Extremities.

M:  I believe Sondheim is doing that.

I:  This is a comedy!  Besides, it's based on a Grimm fairy tale.

M:  Which one?

I:  I have no idea.  And they were called Grimm for a reason!  A lotta bad stuff happened, usually to women.  Body parts cut off (By a woman, by the way), eyes pecked out by birds, being sanitized for cutesy animated musicals.  And to be honest, the abuse is pretty well distributed to the Y chromosome as well.

M:  Poor Vinnie.

I:  When Stillitano first walked on stage as Goat I thought he was covered in dirt (Well, make up).  After this one scene I was sure half of it was bruises.

M:  Poor Vinnie.

I:  He gets smacked around, punched, thrown, hit in the groin by what I think were angry rabbits.

M:  He falls on the stage; he falls off the stage.  He has to sing a duet with Jeff Holland (God, help him).  I agree with you, Rosemond gets off easy as far as I'm concerned.  You would think we'd hear more of an outcry from tall, skinny men with broad Southern accents but they're not complaining.

Pause

I:  Was there an insult there?

M:  Keep looking.  You'll find it.

I:  In spite of all the abuse he suffers, he still manages to have a fine singin' voice and be damn funny as the stupidest human ever spawned from the loins of man.  I think.

M:  However, as far as the truly comic characters go, the show belongs to Salome.

I:  Damn straight.  That girl needs to be Monica Breedlovin' it on a very successful sit-com somewhere.

M:  The severed head was funny.

I:  Yeah, I liked Big Harp.  Little Harp needed work.

M:  Now, let's take a look at the cause of all the controversy.

I:  Liza Minelli's new husband?

M:  Not that one!  The abuse.

I:  Oh, yeah!  Jamie Lockhart.

M:  The frat boy of the woods.

I:  Huh?

M:  He's in his early 20's, has no job, and he knocks women out to have sex with them.

I:  Oooh!  Finally, you're gonna get some hate mail.

M:  Much like Craig Recko in Saturday Night, Ryan Anderson tried the make this guy likeable.

I:  And, much like Recko, it's not his fault he's playing a schmuck.

M:  Well, enough about the characters.  What did you think of the songs?

I:  There were songs?

Pause

M:  You do this on purpose, don't you?

I:  Every chance I get.

--0-1658617588-1018757309=:35476

<P>WARNING:  This review has been rated PG-13 by the Theatrical Critics Association of America.  It is not intended for small children, pregnant women, or people with no sense of humor.  If you fit into any of these categories, might I suggest reading Family Circus or Ziggy.  You have been warned--Jeff Holland</P>
<P>The following conversation was thought up over the last month during the rehearsal process.</P>
<P>Ike:  Well, I liked it!</P>
<P>Mike:  That's a shocker!  The play takes place in the deep south.  Probably felt like a family reunion.</P>
<P>I:  Oh, you mean like how you got when we saw Corpus Christie?</P>
<P>M:  Shut up.</P>
<P>I:  Okay,  I admit it.  The accents did help my enjoyment of the show.  Plus,  there's the fact that it's pissin' some people off.</P>
<P>M:  There is that, yes.</P>
<P>I:  All right!  There is some <EM>comic </EM>abuse towards women in this show.  It's there, but for the love of God, this ain't the musical version of Extremities.</P>
<P>M:  I believe Sondheim is doing that.</P>
<P>I:  This is a comedy!  Besides, it's based on a Grimm fairy tale.</P>
<P>M:  Which one?</P>
<P>I:  I have no idea.  And they were called Grimm for a reason!  A lotta bad stuff happened, usually to women.  Body parts cut off (By a woman, by the way), eyes pecked out by birds, being sanitized for cutesy animated musicals.  And to be honest, the abuse is pretty well distributed to the Y chromosome as well.</P>
<P>M:  Poor Vinnie.</P>
<P>I:  When Stillitano first walked on stage as Goat I thought he was covered in dirt (Well, make up).  After this one scene I was sure half of it was bruises.</P>
<P>M:  Poor Vinnie.</P>
<P>I:  He gets smacked around, punched, thrown, hit in the groin by what I think were angry rabbits.</P>
<P>M:  He falls on the stage; he falls off the stage.  He has to sing a duet with Jeff Holland (God, help him).  I agree with you, Rosemond gets off easy as far as I'm concerned.  You would think we'd hear <EM>more</EM> of an outcry from tall, skinny men with broad Southern accents but they're not complaining. </P>
<P>Pause</P>
<P>I:  Was there an insult there?</P>
<P>M:  Keep looking.  You'll find it.</P>
<P>I:  In spite of all the abuse <EM>he</EM> suffers, he still manages to have a fine singin' voice and be damn funny as the stupidest human ever spawned from the loins of man.  I think.</P>
<P>M:  However, as far as the truly comic characters go, the show belongs to Salome.</P>
<P>I:  Damn straight.  That girl needs to be Monica Breedlovin' it on a very successful sit-com somewhere.</P>
<P>M:  The severed head was funny.</P>
<P>I:  Yeah, I liked Big Harp.  Little Harp needed work.</P>
<P>M:  Now, let's take a look at the cause of all the controversy.</P>
<P>I:  Liza Minelli's new husband?</P>
<P>M:  Not that one!  The abuse.</P>
<P>I:  Oh, yeah!  Jamie Lockhart.</P>
<P>M:  The frat boy of the woods.</P>
<P>I:  Huh?</P>
<P>M:  He's in his early 20's, has no job, and he knocks women out to have sex with them.</P>
<P>I:  Oooh!  Finally, you're gonna get some hate mail.</P>
<P>M:  Much like Craig Recko in Saturday Night, Ryan Anderson tried the make this guy likeable.</P>
<P>I:  And, much like Recko, it's not his fault he's playing a schmuck.</P>
<P>M:  Well, enough about the characters.  What did you think of the songs?</P>
<P>I:  There were songs?</P>
<P>Pause</P>
<P>M:  You do this on purpose, don't you?</P>
<P>I:  Every chance I get.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Note:  For information on how to join the Mike and Ike mailing list, and hear them complain about even more things, send an email to <A href="mailto:rdoughnuts at yahoo.com">rdoughnuts at yahoo.com</A>.</P>
--0-1658617588-1018757309=:35476--