[NEohioPAL]Workshop Players presents debut of locally authored play - "Mama's Veil"

WSPAmherst at aol.com WSPAmherst at aol.com
Thu Apr 25 06:51:00 PDT 2002

--part1_113.10891f8e.29f8d913_boundary

The cast and crew of MAMA'S VEIL are busily preparing for the May 9th debut
of this new play by Teresa Lee Jenkins.  Cast in the title role of Mama is
Pamela Pickworth, a veteran of the workshop stage.  Her daughter is being
played by three different actresses.  The Young Betty Ann is being played by
Katie Warren from LaGrange, who is making her Workshop debut with this role.
Katie has worked backstage at the Workshop but this is her first time on the
boards.  The Middle Betty Ann is being played by Meghan Wessell, from
Oberlin.  Meghan will be remembered for her role as Lady Meghan in ONCE UPON
A MATTRESS last fall. The Eldest Betty Ann is being portrayed by another of
our veteran Workshoppers, Kathy Whitmore.  Through rewrites, the Eldest Betty
Ann has become the central character and younger selves are echoes from her
memory.  The biggest challenge facing the Betty Anns is to convince the
audience that they are the same person.  We are hoping to do this through
similar movements, gestures, hair color and costuming and special interludes
in the script.
        Author Teresa Jenkins has kept the cast and director hopping with
updates and rewrites that have fine-tuned the script.  This has been an
interesting process. Some of the new ideas have been readily accepted and
absorbed into the text making for a stronger show.  Other ideas came under
much scrutiny and debate as the director, cast, crew, and anyone else within
earshot put in their two cents.  We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the
audience who will be the ultimate judge of the show's story.
    Dave Cotton is directing and is excited about working with Teresa on this
project.  Trying to produce a developing script has required extra creativity
and patience for all involved.  Dave is assisted by Mike Leuszler, with
Charlotte Norris assembling the costumes and Liesel Stevens working on sound
and music.  Katie's mom, Jennifer Warren, who was in A MY NAME IS ALICE, is
designing the set and gathering the props.
Performance dates are May 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24 & 24 at 8:00 p.m. There will
also be matinee performance on May 19 & 26 at 3:00 p.m. Tickets are $8.50
each and may be reserved by calling the box office at 440-988-5613. Group
discounts are available for groups of 10 or more. Workshop Players Theatre is
located on Middle Ridge Road in Amherst, halfway between Rt. 2 and Rt. 58.
See us on the web at: www.workshopplayers.com.

-   30 -

"If the whole world's a stage, I demand better lighting"

--part1_113.10891f8e.29f8d913_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  COLOR="#800080" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">The cast and crew of MAMA'S VEIL are busily preparing for the May 9th debut of this new play by Teresa Lee Jenkins.  Cast in the title role of Mama is Pamela Pickworth, a veteran of the workshop stage.  Her daughter is being played by three different actresses.  The Young Betty Ann is being played by Katie Warren from LaGrange, who is making her Workshop debut with this role.  Katie has worked backstage at the Workshop but this is her first time on the boards.  The Middle Betty Ann is being played by Meghan Wessell, from Oberlin.  Meghan will be remembered for her role as Lady Meghan in ONCE UPON A MATTRESS last fall. The Eldest Betty Ann is being portrayed by another of our veteran Workshoppers, Kathy Whitmore.  Through rewrites, the Eldest Betty Ann has become the central character and younger selves are echoes from her memory.  The biggest challenge facing the Betty Anns is to convince the audience that they are the same person.  We are hoping to do this through similar movements, gestures, hair color and costuming and special interludes in the script.<BR>
        Author Teresa Jenkins has kept the cast and director hopping with updates and rewrites that have fine-tuned the script.  This has been an interesting process. Some of the new ideas have been readily accepted and absorbed into the text making for a stronger show.  Other ideas came under much scrutiny and debate as the director, cast, crew, and anyone else within earshot put in their two cents.  We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the audience who will be the ultimate judge of the show's story.<BR>
    Dave Cotton is directing and is excited about working with Teresa on this project.  Trying to produce a developing script has required extra creativity and patience for all involved.  Dave is assisted by Mike Leuszler, with Charlotte Norris assembling the costumes and Liesel Stevens working on sound and music.  Katie's mom, Jennifer Warren, who was in A MY NAME IS ALICE, is designing the set and gathering the props.<BR>
Performance dates are May 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24 & 24 at 8:00 p.m. There will also be matinee performance on May 19 & 26 at 3:00 p.m. Tickets are $8.50 each and may be reserved by calling the box office at 440-988-5613. Group discounts are available for groups of 10 or more. Workshop Players Theatre is located on Middle Ridge Road in Amherst, halfway between Rt. 2 and Rt. 58. See us on the web at: www.workshopplayers.com.<BR>
<BR>
-   30 -<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#800080" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">"If the whole world's a stage, I demand better lighting"</FONT></HTML>

--part1_113.10891f8e.29f8d913_boundary--