[NEohioPAL]do I need an agent and how do I find one?

Debbie Reynolds dareynolds at worldkeyonline.com
Tue May 14 14:40:30 PDT 2002

I read the post thanking neohiopal for the casting call postings, and I have
a questions maybe some of you might be able to answer for me.

I am interested for my son, presently a high school junior, he will be 18 in
October.  We are new to all of this and have benefited from the postings for
auditions for the amateur summer-type theatres.  My son would really like to
get involved in theatre, commercials, etc. but so far he has had photos
taken and taken drama in high school. He is planning on going to as many of
these auditions as possible - if even just for the experience.

We have spend money on photos from an agency that makes promises and has not
delivered and keeps wanting us to buy more and more photos. He has attended
an event put on by a 'talent scout' agency and charges a couple hundred
dollars to walk a runway and pass out photos to talent and modeling
agencies. He was approached by the NY School for Film and Television. It
sounds great - but how do we know where the best investment for our money
is?

Does he need to get an agent at this time and if so how does one with no
experience find a good agent willing to work with him? We are in the process
of putting together a video of a couple of monologues, but I am not sure
that would be sufficient. I also want to make sure we are not wasting our
time and money if he has no future. I believe in encouraging him to follow
his dream and find out if this is something he really wants to do and if he
really is talented enough to do. How to go about it, when do you draw the
line, how do you make sure the information you are getting is truthful and
not just someone willing to keep taking your money?

Basically, where do we start? Anyway, any help anyone could give me would be
greatly appreciated and any names of agents willing to look at new talent
would also be great.

Thank you
dareynolds at worldkeyonline.com