[NEohioPAL]Slavic Soul Party! in Cleveland: Thur. 5/23

Matt Moran moran at mattmoran.com
Thu May 16 13:46:15 PDT 2002

Dear friend of World Music at Inside,

Slavic Soul Party! will celebrate the release of our new cd "In
Makedonija" (Knitting Factory Records) on May 23rd at the Beachland
Ballroom in Cleveland.  Brash and strong as slivovitz, SSP! is downtown's
answer to Balkan dance music.  The Cleveland Free Times says
"enthralling... [SSP!] had the standing-room-only crowd claping, hooting
and shouting their appreciation."  SSP!'s last performance in Cleveland
was a sold-out concert and dance party -- don't miss this chance to hear
the band again!

"In Makedonija" was recorded October 2000 in you-know-where, with Chris
Speed (clarinet), Rossen Zahariev (cornet), Curtis Hasselbring (trombone),
Ted Reichman (accordion), and Matt Moran (percussion).  Special guest Matt
Darriau (alto sax) will be joining SSP! for this tour.

Slavic Soul Party! cd release party
Thursday, May 23rd
8:30pm, $10

Beachland Ballroom (Tavern)
15711 Waterloo Rd.
Cleveland, Ohio 44110
tel: 216/383-1124

For directions see http://www.beachlandballroom.com/maps.html

Best regards,
-matt

---------------------
CD-Release Tour May 2002:
May 15: NYC, NY: Knitting Factory -- www.knittingfactory.com
May 18: Cedar Rapids, IA: Legion Arts - www.legionarts.org
May 19: Madison, WI: UW Union South
May 20: Minneapolis, MN: Cedar Cultural Center - www.thecedar.org
May 21: Chicago, IL: HotHouse - www.hothouse.net
May 22: Detroit, MI: Detroit Art Space
May 23: Cleveland, OH: Beachland Ballroom - www.beachlandballroom.com
May 24: Pittsburgh, PA: Pittsburgh Folk Festival - www.pghfolkfest.org

Our favorite quotes:

"[SSP! has] evolved their Balkan interests from visionary blend to bona
fide style." -JAZZIZ

"Slavic Soul Party!, a pan-Balkan band that has been enthralling New York
audiences, had the standing-room only crowd clapping, hooting, and
shouting their appreciation." -Dirty Linen

"The great find was the aggregation called Slavic Soul Party. The name
would have steered me away, but in fact, it describes them well, and the
players are well known in their respective musical genres...  When I
entered, people were already dancing in the back, as they did throughout.
They threw money at the musicians, which the dancers said was traditional.
Not typical wedding-and-bar mitzvah schmaltz, they immediately made me
wish I had a party to give and that I could afford to hire them."
-La Folia Music Review

For more information on SSP!, see:
www.mattmoran.com