[NEohioPAL]A Mike and Ike Satirical Look at CPT's Discordia

Jeff Holland rdoughnuts at yahoo.com
Sat May 18 17:22:06 PDT 2002

--0-727791883-1021759173=:75502

WARNING:  The following review has been rated PG-13 by the Theatrical Critics Association of Armenia.  It contains strong language, adult themes,  and obscure cultural references.  If you are easily offended, or feel that Mike and Ike should be placed in a space shuttle--along with Carrot Top, Urkel, and whoever made Bernadette Peters give the Best Actress in a Musical Tony to Johanna Gleason--and shot into the sun, run from this review like everyone ran from Keanu Reeves playing Hamlet.  You have been warned--Jeff Holland

Mike and Ike are well aware that Discordia closed last Saturday,  which is when they saw it.  Mike wanted to have this ready by last Sunday, but Ike refused to talk about anything until after he saw Attack of the Clones so there you go.  Blame him.

Ike:  Okay, my big question is where the hell did Percival get his shoes?

Mike:  Oh, for the love of Hal Prince!

I:  Now I know this was some sort of weird Willy Wonka version of Camelot where people go to shoppin' malls and wear pretty much modern clothes.  The only one who kinda looked out of place was the psychic, and she looked like a string bean in sandles.

M:  IKE!!

I:  I ain't talkin' about the actress (I'll get to her in a minute), I'm talkin' about the dress.  Same color as my old house.  Exorcist green.  I hate that color.  Anyway, everbody was dressed pretty regular, but damn those shoes!!!  Percival clicks his heels together three times he'll wind up in a drag show in Vegas.

M:  I cannot believe you're obsessing on this!

I:  We didn't start the fire, they did.  New shoe from Nike:  The Acid Flashback Bowling Boot.

M:  With ads starring Reverend Jim.

I:  Come ta think of it, the whole cast had some pretty nice shoes.

M:  I'm going to leave you alone now.

I:  The knights of Camelot may be big on restricting your rights, but they do seem to provide comfortable footwear.

M:  If you don't stop this now I'm going to force you to watch Marat/Sade again.

I:  Okay, I'm done.

M:  I must admit, it was nice to see a new musical that Jim Steinman didn't have a hand in.

I:  Yeah, I gotta admit, the songs weren't that vomit inducing.

M:  Your growing appreciation for musicals continues to delight me.

I:  Although I'm not sure how I feel about the rap songs.

M:  The one sung by the knights was pretty damn funny.

I:  But, for some reason,. the other one felt kinda out of place to me.

M:  This coming from the man whose musical knowledge up to about three months ago was Cop Rock.

I:  Okay, Bat Boy.  Whatever.  Oh, and note to future directors:  I don't care if you're doin' a comedy, drama, musical, thriller, or Sweeny Todd, I don't ever EVER want to see someone stretchin' underwear on stage again!  There was just sumthin disturbin about that.

M:  So how are you going to damage the psyche of the woman who played the seer?

I:  I'm not.  I actually thought she was the most interesting character in the show.  She was a good actress, a great singer, she had the best songs in the piece.

M:  Good god, an actual compliment!

I:  Hey, it wasn't to you.

M:  Touche.

I:  As far as the script goes, I really don't know a lot about Percival's quest for the Holy Grail.

M:  Neither does anyone else.

I:  So I have no idea how the show works as a parody.  Taken on it's own, it's a funny piece for the most part.  Occasionally, the Oliver Stong Mighty Hammer of Pretentiousness is brought out.

M:  Not too often.

I:  But just enough to remind us all that there's a message in here somewhere.

M:  And even then,  your skull isn't split open quite as much as when Stone wields it himself.

I:  He's a lobotomy, this is a scrape on the forehead.  And, I'm sorry,  I know a lot of people the night we were there liked this, but I couldn't stand George W. as the King.  He ain't intereresting as a real person.  Why would he be interesting as a fictional character?

M:  What did you think of Percival?

I:  Nice, earnest, well acted.  Glad he recovered from the botched sex change.

M:  All of the acting in this was quite good.

I:  The guy playing George W. did it better than the man himself.  Only minor problem I had was a couple of the actors, and I don't know if this is cause of nervousness or palsy, kept shifting their weight around when they would stand still.

M:  I didn't notice that.

I:  It was almost hypnotic.  One of 'em was doin' it so much I was waitin' for him to spontaneously combust.

M:  So, overall, did you like it?

I:  Yeah, I did.  Best part of all, no Monica Breedlove.

M:  I was wondering how you were going to work her into this one.

(Pause)

I:  So Steinman has Dance of the Vampires this year and Batman next year right?

M:  I believe so.

I:  Know what he's doing after that?

M:  No.

I:  H.R. PufnStuf.

M:  Shut up.

Send an email to rdoughnuts at yahoo.com for more Mike & Ike and other strangeness

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
--0-727791883-1021759173=:75502

<P>WARNING:  The following review has been rated PG-13 by the Theatrical Critics Association of Armenia.  It contains strong language, adult themes,  and obscure cultural references.  If you are easily offended, or feel that Mike and Ike should be placed in a space shuttle--along with Carrot Top, Urkel, and whoever made Bernadette Peters give the Best Actress in a Musical Tony to Johanna Gleason--and shot into the sun, run from this review like everyone ran from Keanu Reeves playing Hamlet.  You have been warned--Jeff Holland</P>
<P>Mike and Ike are well aware that Discordia closed last Saturday,  which is when they saw it.  Mike wanted to have this ready by last Sunday, but Ike refused to talk about anything until after he saw Attack of the Clones so there you go.  Blame him.</P>
<P>Ike:  Okay, my big question is where the hell did Percival get his shoes?</P>
<P>Mike:  Oh, for the love of Hal Prince!</P>
<P>I:  Now I know this was some sort of weird Willy Wonka version of Camelot where people go to shoppin' malls and wear pretty much modern clothes.  The only one who kinda looked out of place was the psychic, and she looked like a string bean in sandles.</P>
<P>M:  IKE!!</P>
<P>I:  I ain't talkin' about the actress (I'll get to her in a minute), I'm talkin' about the dress.  Same color as my old house.  Exorcist green.  I hate that color.  Anyway, everbody was dressed pretty regular, but damn those shoes!!!  Percival clicks his heels together three times he'll wind up in a drag show in Vegas.</P>
<P>M:  I cannot believe you're obsessing on <EM>this</EM>!</P>
<P>I:  We didn't start the fire, they did.  New shoe from Nike:  The Acid Flashback Bowling Boot.</P>
<P>M:  With ads starring Reverend Jim.</P>
<P>I:  Come ta think of it, the whole cast had some pretty nice shoes.</P>
<P>M:  I'm going to leave you alone now.</P>
<P>I:  The knights of Camelot may be big on restricting your rights, but they do seem to provide comfortable footwear.</P>
<P>M:  If you don't stop this now I'm going to force you to watch Marat/Sade again.</P>
<P>I:  Okay, I'm done.</P>
<P>M:  I must admit, it was nice to see a new musical that Jim Steinman didn't have a hand in.</P>
<P>I:  Yeah, I gotta admit, the songs weren't that vomit inducing.</P>
<P>M:  Your growing appreciation for musicals continues to delight me.</P>
<P>I:  Although I'm not sure how I feel about the rap songs.</P>
<P>M:  The one sung by the knights was pretty damn funny.</P>
<P>I:  But, for some reason,. the other one felt kinda out of place to me.</P>
<P>M:  This coming from the man whose musical knowledge up to about three months ago was Cop Rock.</P>
<P>I:  Okay, Bat Boy.  Whatever.  Oh, and note to future directors:  I don't care if you're doin' a comedy, drama, musical, thriller, or Sweeny Todd, I don't ever EVER want to see someone stretchin' underwear on stage again!  There was just sumthin disturbin about that.</P>
<P>M:  So how are you going to damage the psyche of the woman who played the seer?</P>
<P>I:  I'm not.  I actually thought she was the most interesting character in the show.  She was a good actress, a great singer, she had the best songs in the piece.</P>
<P>M:  Good god, an actual compliment!</P>
<P>I:  Hey, it wasn't to you.</P>
<P>M:  Touche.</P>
<P>I:  As far as the script goes, I really don't know a lot about Percival's quest for the Holy Grail.</P>
<P>M:  Neither does anyone else.</P>
<P>I:  So I have no idea how the show works as a parody.  Taken on it's own, it's a funny piece for the most part.  Occasionally, the Oliver Stong Mighty Hammer of Pretentiousness is brought out.</P>
<P>M:  Not too often.</P>
<P>I:  But just enough to remind us all that there's a message in here somewhere.</P>
<P>M:  And even then,  your skull isn't split open quite as much as when Stone wields it himself.</P>
<P>I:  He's a lobotomy, this is a scrape on the forehead.  And, I'm sorry,  I know a lot of people the night we were there liked this, but I couldn't stand George W. as the King.  He ain't intereresting as a real person.  Why would he be interesting as a fictional character?</P>
<P>M:  What did you think of Percival?</P>
<P>I:  Nice, earnest, well acted.  Glad he recovered from the botched sex change.</P>
<P>M:  All of the acting in this was quite good.</P>
<P>I:  The guy playing George W. did it better than the man himself.  Only minor problem I had was a couple of the actors, and I don't know if this is cause of nervousness or palsy, kept shifting their weight around when they would stand still.  </P>
<P>M:  I didn't notice that.</P>
<P>I:  It was almost hypnotic.  One of 'em was doin' it so much I was waitin' for him to spontaneously combust.</P>
<P>M:  So, overall, did you like it?</P>
<P>I:  Yeah, I did.  Best part of all, no Monica Breedlove.</P>
<P>M:  I was wondering how you were going to work her into this one.</P>
<P>(Pause)</P>
<P>I:  So Steinman has Dance of the Vampires this year and Batman next year right?</P>
<P>M:  I believe so.</P>
<P>I:  Know what he's doing after that?</P>
<P>M:  No.</P>
<P>I:  H.R. PufnStuf.</P>
<P>M:  Shut up.</P>
<P> </P>