[NEohioPAL]A Mike and Ike Satirical Review of Tree City Players' "The Good Doctor."

Jeff Holland rdoughnuts at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 08:54:06 PDT 2002

--0-481299412-1024925220=:73957

WARNING:  The following review has been rated PG-13 by some guy named Ken, who lives in a nice three story colonial just outside of Lodi.  He didn't like the language, his lovely wife of 37 years Enid didn't like the themes, and neither of them liked the jokes.  You have been warned

Ike:  Monica Breedlove!  Monica Breedlove!  Monica Breedlove!

Mike:  What the hell are you doing?

I:  Well, I didn't git any in last time.  I gotta catch up!

M:  I could have worked with Joe Bob Briggs but no, you had to find the Golden Ticket first.

I:  Okay, first off:  What in the name of Tony Dow happened to Tree City Players?

M:  So many jokes; so many people to anger.  What do you mean?

I:  Last time we saw a show there,  weren't we in a basement?

M:  No.

I:  Weren't the walls green?

M:  No.

I:  Weren't we across the street?

M:  Oh, good!  There's one brain cell left!  Yes, Tree City Players moved across the street into the old Kent Cinema.  What was two movie theatres is now one big stage suitable for plays, concerts, and pagan rituals.  This is a great thing for TCP because it will allow them to do plays they could never do back in the old matchbox--I mean blackbox.

I:  Damn.  They doin' pretty good since Holland left.

M:  Interesting, isn't it

I:  So what'd we see again?

M:(Pause) The Good Doctor.

I:  Which was only one short sketch!

M:  Well,  it's based on stories by Anton Chekhov.

I:  The guy from Star Trek?

M:(Longer pause) I hope to God you're kidding.

I:  The world will never know.  I think Neil Simon coulda picked a better title.  I mean, I hear that title I expect to see a show about a good doctor, or a horrible doctor if you're goin' for irony, not nine different stories connected by a writer who doesn't know how to shut up.  Then again, look who wrote it.

M:  You have a better title?

I:  Well,  if I had to go with something from just one of the stories I'd pick "Hot Phlegm a Flyin'."  Otherwise, I'd go with something like "Accents on Parade!" or better yet, "From Russia, With Angst."

M:  That would be Chekhov's contribution.

I:  And these were supposedly comedies to begin with.

M:  That's what they tell me.

I:  And who are they, ninety year old Russian immigrants?

M:  Well,  yes,  actually.

I:  Oh.  Most of the stories are pretty damn funny,  except for the third one which is cruel,  depressin' and beyond out of place in this show.  I think Simon was re-watching Max Dugan Returns when he decided to use this one.  It's just wrong.

M:  My personal favorite was "The Seduction."  It wasn't that hysterically funny, but the ending was quite unexpected and surprisingly sweet.

I:  I loved the two old guys arguing over what's the better lunch.  That's one people are either going to hurt after from laughing so hard or they're gonna hate it with a passion.

M:  What about "The Drowned Man?"

I:  If ya had ta name this after one of the stories, that should have been the title.  Much better story.  Way too strange.

M:  The 25 characters in the show are all played by 6 actors.

I:  And one of them, G.A. Taggett, only plays two, the writer and the seducer.  I wonder if that's how Simon got Marsha Mason.

M:  Watch it!

I:  Taggett makes the writer an extremely likeable character, which is good because he spends a helluva lot of time babblin' about nuthin.'

M:  The rest of the cast, including Bill Wolski, Jamie Hoffman, David White, Jenna Messina, and Greg Bealer,  handle the characters, costume changes, and accents quite well.  It's almost worth the price of admission to see Wolski's slow motion sneeze.

I:  You know, almost that entire cast has worked with Holland, too.

M:  God, those poor poor people.

EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS REVIEW OF NORTH CANTON PLAYHOUSE' "BUTTER-FLIES ARE FREE"

I:  Oh, come on, man!  Farscape's startin'!

M:  We're doing this!

I:  The play ended yesterday!  What the hell's the point?

M:  This is Brian's last play before he goes to LA to pursue a career in pornography, and it deserves to have some sort of record!

I:  Fine!  Let me handle this.  Blind guy falls in love with his flighty neighbor.  There are complications.   It has a happy ending.  I totally bought the blindness.  Didn't buy the love affair at all (It happens in a day, for God's sake).  The relationship he has with his mother is much more interestin' than the one he has with his girlfriend.  The cast is great (Even the guy doing the Chuck Barris imitation) but the whole thing plays like an extended episode of "Love, American Style."  There ya go, good luck in LA,  I'm gonna go watch my show.

Pause

M:  I wonder if Richard Roper's busy.

ROLLING DOUGNUTS
F**cking with America's head since the early 90's

--0-481299412-1024925220=:73957

<P>WARNING:  The following review has been rated PG-13 by some guy named Ken, who lives in a nice three story colonial just outside of Lodi.  He didn't like the language, his lovely wife of 37 years Enid didn't like the themes, and neither of them liked the jokes.  You have been warned</P>
<P>Ike:  Monica Breedlove!  Monica Breedlove!  Monica Breedlove!</P>
<P>Mike:  What the hell are you doing?</P>
<P>I:  Well, I didn't git any in last time.  I gotta catch up!</P>
<P>M:  I could have worked with Joe Bob Briggs but no, you had to find the Golden Ticket first.</P>
<P>I:  Okay, first off:  What in the name of Tony Dow happened to Tree City Players?</P>
<P>M:  So many jokes; so many people to anger.  What do you mean?</P>
<P>I:  Last time we saw a show there,  weren't we in a basement?</P>
<P>M:  No.</P>
<P>I:  Weren't the walls green?</P>
<P>M:  No.</P>
<P>I:  Weren't we across the street?</P>
<P>M:  Oh, good!  There's one brain cell left!  Yes, Tree City Players moved across the street into the old Kent Cinema.  What <EM>was</EM> two movie theatres is now one big stage suitable for plays, concerts, and pagan rituals.  This is a great thing for TCP because it will allow them to do plays they could never do back in the old matchbox--I mean blackbox.</P>
<P>I:  Damn.  They doin' pretty good since Holland left.</P>
<P>M:  Interesting, isn't it</P>
<P>I:  So what'd we see again?</P>
<P>M:(Pause) The Good Doctor.</P>
<P>I:  Which was only one short sketch!</P>
<P>M:  Well,  it's based on stories by Anton Chekhov.</P>
<P>I:  The guy from Star Trek?</P>
<P>M:(Longer pause) I hope to God you're kidding.</P>
<P>I:  The world will never know.  I think Neil Simon coulda picked a better title.  I mean, I hear that title I expect to see a show about a good doctor, or a horrible doctor if you're goin' for irony, not nine different stories connected by a writer who doesn't know how to shut up.  Then again, look who wrote it.</P>
<P>M:  You have a better title?</P>
<P>I:  Well,  if I had to go with something from just one of the stories I'd pick "Hot Phlegm a Flyin'."  Otherwise, I'd go with something like "Accents on Parade!" or better yet, "From Russia, With Angst."</P>
<P>M:  That would be Chekhov's contribution.</P>
<P>I:  And these were supposedly comedies to begin with.</P>
<P>M:  That's what they tell me.</P>
<P>I:  And who are they, ninety year old Russian immigrants?</P>
<P>M:  Well,  yes,  actually.</P>
<P>I:  Oh.  Most of the stories are pretty damn funny,  except for the third one which is cruel,  depressin' and beyond out of place in this show.  I think Simon was re-watching Max Dugan Returns when he decided to use this one.  It's just wrong.</P>
<P>M:  My personal favorite was "The Seduction."  It wasn't that hysterically funny, but the ending was quite unexpected and surprisingly sweet.</P>
<P>I:  I loved the two old guys arguing over what's the better lunch.  That's one people are either going to hurt after from laughing so hard or they're gonna hate it with a passion.</P>
<P>M:  What about "The Drowned Man?"</P>
<P>I:  If ya had ta name this after one of the stories, <EM>that </EM>should have been the title.  Much better story.  Way too strange.</P>
<P>M:  The 25 characters in the show are all played by 6 actors.</P>
<P>I:  And one of them, G.A. Taggett, only plays two, the writer and the seducer.  I wonder if that's how Simon got Marsha Mason.</P>
<P>M:  Watch it!</P>
<P>I:  Taggett makes the writer an extremely likeable character, which is good because he spends a helluva lot of time babblin' about nuthin.'</P>
<P>M:  The rest of the cast, including Bill Wolski, Jamie Hoffman, David White, Jenna Messina, and Greg Bealer,  handle the characters, costume changes, and accents quite well.  It's almost worth the price of admission to see Wolski's slow motion sneeze.</P>
<P>I:  You know, almost that entire cast has worked with Holland, too.</P>
<P>M:  God, those poor poor people.</P>
<P>EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS REVIEW OF NORTH CANTON PLAYHOUSE' "BUTTER-FLIES ARE FREE"</P>
<P>I:  Oh, come on, man!  Farscape's startin'! </P>
<P>M:  We're doing this!</P>
<P>I:  The play ended yesterday!  What the hell's the point?</P>
<P>M:  This is Brian's last play before he goes to LA to pursue a career in pornography, and it deserves to have some sort of record!</P>
<P>I:  Fine!  Let me handle this.  Blind guy falls in love with his flighty neighbor.  There are complications.   It has a happy ending.  I totally bought the blindness.  Didn't buy the love affair at all (It happens in a day, for God's sake).  The relationship he has with his mother is much more interestin' than the one he has with his girlfriend.  The cast is great (Even the guy doing the Chuck Barris imitation) but the whole thing plays like an extended episode of "Love, American Style."  There ya go, good luck in LA,  I'm gonna go watch my show.</P>
<P>Pause</P>
--0-481299412-1024925220=:73957--