[NEohioPAL]Review of I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE AT ACTORS' SUMMIT

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 20 16:19:09 PDT 2002

LOVE YOU, YOU’RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE PLEASANT AT
ACTORS’ SUMMIT

Roy Berko
(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)
--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--
Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

Now in its 6th smash year I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT,
NOW CHANGE Is currently Off-Broadway's longest-running
musical.  Written by Joe DiPietro and Jimmy Roberts,
the show opened on August 1, 1996.   Since then
productions have been mounted in more than 150 cities
worldwide.  Since its opening, I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE
PERFECT, NOW CHANGE has become the most
proposal-friendly show in history.   On thirteen
reported occasions a young man has taken the stage to
make a surprise proposal to his sweetheart. In all
cases, the brides-to-be accepted as the audience
roared with approval.

The show takes the audience on a musical ride through
the difficulties and joys of connecting with another
person.  It specifically probes dating, dating
rituals, romance, marriage, lovers, husbands, wives,
in-laws, sex, the effect of babies on a marriage, and
late life relationships.  The cast portrays over 50
roles in a collection of scenes and songs.

Actors’ Summit is the first local theatre to present
the review.  Though slowed down by extensive set
changes, most of which could have been eliminated by
allowing the audience to imagine the various settings
, the production is an audience pleaser.

The young cast is pleasing but uneven in their
performances.  The singing, which is the center of the
production, is generally fine, but sometimes there are
problems in vocal blending.  The musical accompaniment
is generally good, but the violin and piano sound is
shallow and on occasion the performers have precision
difficulties.

Broadway bound Jenn Goodson has both a strong singing
voice and nice comedic timing.  Her version of "Always
a Bridesmaid" was especially endearing.  Kari Kandel
has a nice singing voice.  A show highlight was her
rendition of "He Called Me," about the habit of men
forgetting to call after promising to do so.  Keith
Stevens is a delight, especially in "The Baby Song,"
portraying the idiocy associated with being a new
father.  Andrew Brelich has some good moments as in
his rendition of "Shouldn’t I Be in Love With You."
Other show highlights are "A Stud and a Babe" about
nerds finding love and "Not Tonight, I’m Busy, Busy,
Busy" about contemporary speed dating."

I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE is a delightful
concept and a perfect summertime escapist break from
world and personal problems.

I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE runs through
July 28 at Actors’ Summit at 86 Owen Brown Street in
downtown Hudson.  For tickets call 330-342-0800.