[NEohioPAL]"I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT..." at Actors Summit Cleveland Jewish News Review

Thackaberr at aol.com Thackaberr at aol.com
Tue Jul 23 09:11:42 PDT 2002

--part1_37.2acb2e2f.2a6eba54_boundary

Entertaining musical revue
roasts modern relationships

By FRAN HELLER Freelance Writer

Dating and mating rituals may not have changed very much since Adam first met
Eve.

Or so, "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" would have us believe. This
clever musical revue about the trials and tribulations of modern
relationships is at Actors' Summit in Hudson, Ohio, through July 28.
The entertaining show, with book and lyrics by Joe DiPietro and music by
Jimmy Roberts, may not tell us anything we already didn't know about how men
and women connect in an angst-filled, neurotic age, but it provides a lot of
chuckles along the way.

What director A. Neil Thackaberry's production lacks in polish, including a
lackluster musical combo and some clunky scene changes, is more than
compensated for by a skilled quartet of actors whose well-honed comedic
talents overshadow any variance in vocal abilities.

Andrew Brelich, Jenn Goodson, Kari Kandel and Keith Stevens play a variety of
men and women. Appearing in short scenes, some more humorous than others, the
quartet navigate the emotional minefield of love and marriage. Some 30
vignettes ranging from the first date, upended expectations and fear of
commitment, through wedding bells, child rearing and divorce, make the show
too long, and the format wears thin, particularly in the less funny second
act.

Stevens and Goodson are a perfect pair in a satirical takeoff on dating, in
which the too-busy couple fast forward from their first meeting to the end of
the relationship. They are joined by Kandel and Brelich in an amusing takeoff
on an engagement celebration in which parents' giddy expectations of wedding
bells are foiled by their not-quite-ready-to-commit son and
my-career-comes-first future daughter- in-law.

Goodson, a recent graduate of Baldwin-Wallace College and a fine musical
comedy actress, is a riot in the not-so-undesirable state of being "Always a
Bridesmaid." Stevens is equally droll as a one-armed convict and serial
killer who, incarcerated for life and still single at 50, scares a reluctant
couple straight to the altar in an interfaith singles gathering at the local
state prison.

Robert Stegmiller's minimalist set serves in a variety of inventive ways,
including four chairs on wheels that simulate the family car. The intimacy of
the theatre suits the chamber musical revue well and it is a credit to the
actors that every word of the fast-flying lyrics could be heard without
miking. With as many costume changes as scenes, Mary Jo Alexander's design
palette is a running source of delight.

"I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" opened off-Broadway in 1996 and is
now the longest running musical revue in off-Broadway history.
It's a fun show and it resonates at whatever stage of the mating game you're
in.

Actors' Summit Theater is located at 86 Owen Brown Street in downtown Hudson.
For information and tickets, call 1-330-342-0800 or visit the website at
www.actorssummit.org

--part1_37.2acb2e2f.2a6eba54_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><P ALIGN=CENTER><FONT  COLOR="#000080" SIZE=5 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Gill Sans" LANG="0"><B>Entertaining musical revue
<BR>roasts modern relationships</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000080" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Gill Sans" LANG="0"></B>
<BR><P ALIGN=LEFT>
<BR>By FRAN HELLER Freelance Writer
<BR>
<BR>Dating and mating rituals may not have changed very much since Adam first met Eve.
<BR>
<BR>Or so, "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" would have us believe. This clever musical revue about the trials and tribulations of modern relationships is at Actors' Summit in Hudson, Ohio, through July 28.
<BR>The entertaining show, with book and lyrics by Joe DiPietro and music by Jimmy Roberts, may not tell us anything we already didn't know about how men and women connect in an angst-filled, neurotic age, but it provides a lot of chuckles along the way.
<BR>
<BR>What director A. Neil Thackaberry's production lacks in polish, including a lackluster musical combo and some clunky scene changes, is more than compensated for by a skilled quartet of actors whose well-honed comedic talents overshadow any variance in vocal abilities.
<BR>
<BR>Andrew Brelich, Jenn Goodson, Kari Kandel and Keith Stevens play a variety of men and women. Appearing in short scenes, some more humorous than others, the quartet navigate the emotional minefield of love and marriage. Some 30 vignettes ranging from the first date, upended expectations and fear of commitment, through wedding bells, child rearing and divorce, make the show too long, and the format wears thin, particularly in the less funny second act.
<BR>
<BR>Stevens and Goodson are a perfect pair in a satirical takeoff on dating, in which the too-busy couple fast forward from their first meeting to the end of the relationship. They are joined by Kandel and Brelich in an amusing takeoff on an engagement celebration in which parents' giddy expectations of wedding bells are foiled by their not-quite-ready-to-commit son and my-career-comes-first future daughter- in-law.
<BR>
<BR>Goodson, a recent graduate of Baldwin-Wallace College and a fine musical comedy actress, is a riot in the not-so-undesirable state of being "Always a Bridesmaid." Stevens is equally droll as a one-armed convict and serial killer who, incarcerated for life and still single at 50, scares a reluctant couple straight to the altar in an interfaith singles gathering at the local state prison.
<BR>
<BR>Robert Stegmiller's minimalist set serves in a variety of inventive ways, including four chairs on wheels that simulate the family car. The intimacy of the theatre suits the chamber musical revue well and it is a credit to the actors that every word of the fast-flying lyrics could be heard without miking. With as many costume changes as scenes, Mary Jo Alexander's design palette is a running source of delight.
<BR>
<BR>"I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" opened off-Broadway in 1996 and is now the longest running musical revue in off-Broadway history.
<BR>It's a fun show and it resonates at whatever stage of the mating game you're in.
<BR>
<BR>Actors' Summit Theater is located at 86 Owen Brown Street in downtown Hudson. For information and tickets, call 1-330-342-0800 or visit the website at www.actorssummit.org</P></P></FONT></HTML>

--part1_37.2acb2e2f.2a6eba54_boundary--