[NEohioPAL]Personal Review of Kent State Stark's ART

AdMan7601 at aol.com AdMan7601 at aol.com
Sun Sep 8 00:33:15 PDT 2002

--part1_10e.16f3f0f4.2aac2f7d_boundary

       When I leave after seeing a community theatre production, rarely do I
go with a sense of satisfaction. The same goes for college productions, and
of both types I have seen horrible and fantastic productions, some with
friends performing, others thats' cast I didn't know a soul from.
       This past Friday I was able to go see Kent State Stark's Production of
ART, and let me tell you, I am still elated. Even though I know two-thirds of
the cast, when the show started, I forgot that two of the actors where even
people I knew, let alone friends. I now only knew them as Marc and Yvan (Greg
Emannuelson and Rod Lang). That's how believable they were, and it has
nothing to do with acting. It has to do with trust. From the audience you
could feel an immense amount of trust flowing between the three actors. They
played off of each other and they acted together as a cast instead of as
three individual actors.
       Greg Emannuelson plays Marc, and completely plays the antagonizing
character with great use of sarcasm with a smile. Throughout the production
Emannuelson displayed a great amount of range, playing a character who has to
try to learn how to cope with a friend whom he thinks has gone from eccentric
to mad.
       Barry Wakser plays Serge, the man who buys a 5x4 white painting for
200,000 francs (around $57,000, i think). He played his character very
convincingly, but what stands out are his covering skills. At the end of the
production, during one of Serge's monologues, the painting that caused the
feud, started to lean to one side in slow motion, and eventually fell off the
wall. To an untrained actor, this simple action could keep the actor from
ever letting himself set foot on stage again, but Wakser covered for the
painting with ease and skill, making even myself think... "hmm...was that
supposed to happen or not?"
       The part of Yvan is played by Rod Lang, a resident of New
Philadelphia. He magnificently plays the "buffoon" character of the show who
doesn't seem capable to make a decision of his own. Lang received a lengthy
round of applause after an extremely long and quickly paced monologue, as
well as bringing several audience members to tears of laughter.
       The setting and lights, both designed by Louis Williams, resident
Technical Director of Kent Stark's Theatre, are simple yet effective. It
creates an atmosphere of a blank slate. You have no idea what the characters
are like due to the setting, you have to pay attention and figure it out.
Susan Blurton created the costume design, and her choices match the
characters.
       ART is directed by Phillip L. Robb, the resident Artistic Director of
Kent Stark's Theatre, and an associate professor of theatre at Kent State
Stark. He helped his cast bring out the best in themselves. A fine job, and
an impressive start to his season, which includes WHEN YOU COMIN BACK, RED
RYDER?, THE SECRET GARDEN, and THE LARAMIE PROJECT.
       I could go on forever about the three actors of the show, but what is
most impressive is how they work together. The characters have respect for
each other and so do the actors. This play is about friendship and the trust
that comes with it. These three actors have completely grasped and understood
that meaning.
       Go see ART. You will enjoy it.

Call (330) 244-3348 for tickets and directions, Monday-Friday, 1-5PM.
Run continues today (Sunday) at 2:30 PM and next Thursday through Saturday at
8PM and Sunday at 2:30 PM.
Kent Stark is located in Jackson Twp., 5 minutes from Canton.

--part1_10e.16f3f0f4.2aac2f7d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">       When I leave after seeing a community theatre production, rarely do I go with a sense of satisfaction. The same goes for college productions, and of both types I have seen horrible and fantastic productions, some with friends performing, others thats' cast I didn't know a soul from. <BR>
       This past Friday I was able to go see Kent State Stark's Production of ART, and let me tell you, I am still elated. Even though I know two-thirds of the cast, when the show started, I forgot that two of the actors where even people I knew, let alone friends. I now only knew them as Marc and Yvan (Greg Emannuelson and Rod Lang). That's how believable they were, and it has nothing to do with acting. It has to do with trust. From the audience you could feel an immense amount of trust flowing between the three actors. They played off of each other and they acted together as a cast instead of as three individual actors. <BR>
       Greg Emannuelson plays Marc, and completely plays the antagonizing character with great use of sarcasm with a smile. Throughout the production Emannuelson displayed a great amount of range, playing a character who has to try to learn how to cope with a friend whom he thinks has gone from eccentric to mad. <BR>
       Barry Wakser plays Serge, the man who buys a 5x4 white painting for 200,000 francs (around $57,000, i think). He played his character very convincingly, but what stands out are his covering skills. At the end of the production, during one of Serge's monologues, the painting that caused the feud, started to lean to one side in slow motion, and eventually fell off the wall. To an untrained actor, this simple action could keep the actor from ever letting himself set foot on stage again, but Wakser covered for the painting with ease and skill, making even myself think... "hmm...was that supposed to happen or not?" <BR>
       The part of Yvan is played by Rod Lang, a resident of New Philadelphia. He magnificently plays the "buffoon" character of the show who doesn't seem capable to make a decision of his own. Lang received a lengthy round of applause after an extremely long and quickly paced monologue, as well as bringing several audience members to tears of laughter. <BR>
       The setting and lights, both designed by Louis Williams, resident Technical Director of Kent Stark's Theatre, are simple yet effective. It creates an atmosphere of a blank slate. You have no idea what the characters are like due to the setting, you have to pay attention and figure it out. Susan Blurton created the costume design, and her choices match the characters. <BR>
       ART is directed by Phillip L. Robb, the resident Artistic Director of Kent Stark's Theatre, and an associate professor of theatre at Kent State Stark. He helped his cast bring out the best in themselves. A fine job, and an impressive start to his season, which includes WHEN YOU COMIN BACK, RED RYDER?, THE SECRET GARDEN, and THE LARAMIE PROJECT.<BR>
       I could go on forever about the three actors of the show, but what is most impressive is how they work together. The characters have respect for each other and so do the actors. This play is about friendship and the trust that comes with it. These three actors have completely grasped and understood that meaning. <BR>
       Go see ART. You will enjoy it.<BR>
<BR>
Call (330) 244-3348 for tickets and directions, Monday-Friday, 1-5PM.<BR>
Run continues today (Sunday) at 2:30 PM and next Thursday through Saturday at 8PM and Sunday at 2:30 PM. <BR>
Kent Stark is located in Jackson Twp., 5 minutes from Canton.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_10e.16f3f0f4.2aac2f7d_boundary--