[NEohioPAL]A Mike & Ike Satirical Review of Tree City Players' "Our Country's Good."

Jeff Holland rdoughnuts at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 20 09:45:01 PDT 2002

--0-1277733722-1032532149=:66525

WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING REVIEW HAS BEEN RATED PG-13 BY THE ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST OF THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE.  THE SAME REVIEW WAS GIVEN TO THE ORIGINAL CAST OF CARRIE--THE MUSICAL AND THEY RATED IT XXX, EXCEPT FOR BETTY BUCKLEY, WHO HAS A THING FOR MIKE AND GAVE IT A G--Jeff Holland

WARNING:  THE  PRECEEDING WARNING WAS REWRITTEN BY J MICHAEL TROY.

IKE:  No, I ain't sayin' a damn thing.  You're on your own, limey.

MIKE:  Isaac.

I:  Forget it.  I'll keep seein' shows and makin' appropriately mockin' comments, but I am officially on a review strike!

M:  For the love of--  What is it this time?  Shannon Tweed not doing Body   Chemistry 6?

I:  The Sci-Fi Channel has cancelled Farscape!

M:(Flatly) Eek!  That news has rendered me sterile.

I:  Good thing.  That show is the most interestin,' surprisin,' consistantly entertainin' thing on television right now not created by Joss Whedon.  It's not fair.  I'm pissed, and I could really care less right now about a play that has a bunch of limey convicts doin' a PLAY!  Good God, man, what were you thinkin'?

M:  Fine.  This will be a monologue.

I:  All I'm going to say is the play was written by a woman named Timberlake Wertenbaker and Mr. and Mrs. Wertenbaker, I apologize ahead of time for this, but Good God, what were you thinkin'?  Okay, Pauline Kael, lock and load!

M:  When one used to think of Tree City Players and shows with large casts, one used to want to run screaming into the night, gouging out your eyeballs with a chisel.  Thankfully, with their move across the street to The Kent Stage, this is no longer the case and now up to six actors can be onstage with only slight discomfort.

I:  To the audience.

M:  And speaking of slight discomfort to the audience, Tree City is currently doing a production of Our Country's Good, which was without a doubt, one of the oddest theatrical experiences I've had since I took Ike to see Mumenchantz.

I:  Aw, hell, the pain's back.

M:  Sometimes it's a drama, sometimes it's a comedy, sometimes it's just eerie, most of the time it's depressing.  The show is done as individual scenes, and they're almost like little plays into and of themselves, because you have to completely adjust your emotional state for each one.

I:  I stayed at a level uninterested.

M:  I thought you weren't going to talk!

I:  I lied.  So Australia is just one big limey prison colony, huh?

M:  Well, not anymore obviously.

I:  So you actually sent your convicts, most of whom were convicted of things like stealing a sheep, to God forsaken, uncolonized hellholes.

M:  Well, we hadn't discovered the benefits of canabalism yet.

PAUSE

I:  You are kiddin,' right?

M:  Maybe.

I:  And these convicts actually did this other play.

M:  Yes, The Recruiting Officer.  It's quite funny.  I saw it in London, I believe.

I:  Done by convicts?

M:  No, professional wrestlers.  Triple H was amazing as Plume.

I:  So then this show is pretty historically accurate.

M:  Let's see.  Right names, right play, killing off the indiginant people with small pox.  Yes, I'd say pretty accurate.

I:  I had no idea Scottish men were so large and bald.

M:  It's a genetic thing.

I:  I also had no idea that there were so many identical twins back then.

M:  Be nice.  One of the actors in the original production played three characters!

I:  Yeah, but how much Jeff Holland do we really need?

CONTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:  Loyal readers.  Ike here.  Now's your chance to be a big time comedy writer and come up with the same crap we do.  I just set up a nice little insult.  Since God knows the limey ain't funny, I want you to give me his return quip.  Send your one liners to rdoughnuts at yahoo.com and put Yo, Ike! in the subject.  Deadline for entries is October 1st and the winning joke will be announced during the next review after that.  By the way, just so ya don't think you're doin' sumthin for nothin,' there will be a prize.  Dunno what yet, but it'll be cool.  We now rejoin your regularly scheduled review already in progress.

M:  And in conclusion, I'd just like to say I thought that Brent Houston Rhines did a thoroughly wonderful job as Ketch, the slightly pathetic but likeable hangman.

PAUSE

I:  Where the hell did that come from?

M:  He slipped me a C-note.

I:  You are such a whore.

MIKE AND IKE LIVE:  This Thursday night at Midnight.  In Room 28 of the basement of Guzetta Hall at the University of Akron.  ROLLING DOUGHNUTS (Comedy for the drug addled and the elderly) will be performing as part of the Theatre Guild's IMPROV-A-THON.  During the intermission, meet Mike and Ike.  Come see why they've been banned from 30 newspapers, 10 websites, and at least 2 YWCA's.

--0-1277733722-1032532149=:66525

<P>WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING REVIEW HAS BEEN RATED PG-13 BY THE ORIGINAL BROADWAY CAST OF THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE.  THE SAME REVIEW WAS GIVEN TO THE ORIGINAL CAST OF CARRIE--THE MUSICAL AND THEY RATED IT XXX, EXCEPT FOR BETTY BUCKLEY, WHO HAS A THING FOR MIKE AND GAVE IT A G--Jeff Holland</P>
<P>WARNING:  THE  PRECEEDING WARNING WAS REWRITTEN BY J MICHAEL TROY.</P>
<P>IKE:  No, I ain't sayin' a damn thing.  You're on your own, limey.</P>
<P>MIKE:  Isaac.</P>
<P>I:  Forget it.  I'll keep seein' shows and makin' appropriately mockin' comments, but I am officially on a review strike!</P>
<P>M:  For the love of--  What is it this time?  Shannon Tweed not doing Body   Chemistry 6?</P>
<P>I:  The Sci-Fi Channel has cancelled Farscape!</P>
<P>M:(Flatly) Eek!  That news has rendered me sterile.</P>
<P>I:  Good thing.  That show is the most interestin,' surprisin,' consistantly entertainin' thing on television right now not created by Joss Whedon.  It's not fair.  I'm pissed, and I could really care less right now about a play that has a bunch of limey convicts doin' a PLAY!  Good God, man, what were you thinkin'?</P>
<P>M:  Fine.  This will be a monologue.</P>
<P>I:  All I'm going to say is the play was written by a woman named Timberlake Wertenbaker and Mr. and Mrs. Wertenbaker, I apologize ahead of time for this, but Good God, what were <EM>you </EM>thinkin'?  Okay, Pauline Kael, lock and load!</P>
<P>M:  When one used to think of Tree City Players and shows with large casts, one used to want to run screaming into the night, gouging out your eyeballs with a chisel.  Thankfully, with their move across the street to The Kent Stage, this is no longer the case and now up to six actors can be onstage with only slight discomfort.</P>
<P>I:  To the audience.</P>
<P>M:  And speaking of slight discomfort to the audience, Tree City is currently doing a production of Our Country's Good, which was without a doubt, one of the oddest theatrical experiences I've had since I took Ike to see Mumenchantz.</P>
<P>I:  Aw, hell, the pain's back.</P>
<P>M:  Sometimes it's a drama, sometimes it's a comedy, sometimes it's just eerie, most of the time it's depressing.  The show is done as individual scenes, and they're almost like little plays into and of themselves, because you have to completely adjust your emotional state for each one.</P>
<P>I:  I stayed at a level uninterested.</P>
<P>M:  I thought you weren't going to talk!</P>
<P>I:  I lied.  So Australia is just one big limey prison colony, huh?</P>
<P>M:  Well, not anymore obviously.</P>
<P>I:  So you actually sent your convicts, most of whom were convicted of things like stealing a sheep, to God forsaken, uncolonized hellholes.</P>
<P>M:  Well, we hadn't discovered the benefits of canabalism yet.</P>
<P>PAUSE</P>
<P>I:  You are kiddin,' right?</P>
<P>M:  Maybe.</P>
<P>I:  And these convicts actually did this other play.</P>
<P>M:  Yes, The Recruiting Officer.  It's quite funny.  I saw it in London, I believe.</P>
<P>I:  Done by convicts?</P>
<P>M:  No, professional wrestlers.  Triple H was amazing as Plume.</P>
<P>I:  So then this show is pretty historically accurate.</P>
<P>M:  Let's see.  Right names, right play, killing off the indiginant people with small pox.  Yes, I'd say pretty accurate.</P>
<P>I:  I had no idea Scottish men were so large and bald.</P>
<P>M:  It's a genetic thing.</P>
<P>I:  I also had no idea that there were so many identical twins back then.</P>
<P>M:  Be nice.  One of the actors in the original production played three characters!</P>
<P>I:  Yeah, but how much Jeff Holland do we really need?</P>
<P> </P>
<P>CONTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:  Loyal readers.  Ike here.  Now's your chance to be a big time comedy writer and come up with the same crap we do.  I just set up a nice little insult.  Since God knows the limey ain't funny, I want you to give me his return quip.  Send your one liners to <A href="mailto:rdoughnuts at yahoo.com">rdoughnuts at yahoo.com</A> and put Yo, Ike! in the subject.  Deadline for entries is October 1st and the winning joke will be announced during the next review after that.  By the way, just so ya don't think you're doin' sumthin for nothin,' there will be a prize.  Dunno what yet, but it'll be cool.  We now rejoin your regularly scheduled review already in progress.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>M:  And in conclusion, I'd just like to say I thought that Brent Houston Rhines did a thoroughly wonderful job as Ketch, the slightly pathetic but likeable hangman.</P>
<P>PAUSE</P>
<P>I:  Where the hell did that come from?</P>
<P>M:  He slipped me a C-note.</P>
<P>I:  You are such a whore.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>MIKE AND IKE LIVE:  This Thursday night at Midnight.  In Room 28 of the basement of Guzetta Hall at the University of Akron.  ROLLING DOUGHNUTS (Comedy for the drug addled and the elderly) will be performing as part of the Theatre Guild's IMPROV-A-THON.  During the intermission, meet Mike and Ike.  Come see why they've been banned from 30 newspapers, 10 websites, and at least 2 YWCA's.</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
--0-1277733722-1032532149=:66525--