[NEohioPAL]market study - Sound Design

Richard B Ingraham rbingraham at juno.com
Tue Oct 29 12:43:40 PST 2002

Dear List Members,

I recently have been giving some thought to a new idea I had for a Sound
Design Service in the area.

I know many of the small community theatre organizations that participate
on this list, many times don't have the resources to hire a sound
designer or may only be able to hire a sound designer for productions
that require a complex sound design.

What I am proposing is to set up a small operation where I would be able
to build cues on an as needed basis for local theatres.  For example if
you were mounting a production that only required some simple scene
change music, but had one scene that required a complex series of sound
cues, then I would build only those cues for that one scene.

Another example I could think of would be if your production required
some sound effects that the theatre just didn't have access to, or could
not find.

What I would really like to achieve with this, is to be able to use the
fees coming in from this idea to build up a larger sound effects library.
 Although I now have a fairly good size sound effects library, the rule
of thumb is that you can never have too many.  If this idea takes off,
then the more orders I get, the more I can expand this library and the
more benefit it could be to the local theatre community.

I would very interested in hearing what other people on the list think
about this idea.  Particularly I'm most interested in the reactions from
local theatre producers, directors, and other designers.  But of course
I'm open to all suggestions.

Thank you in advance for any feedback and thanks to Fred for the list.

Richard B. Ingraham
Free-lance Sound Design/Engineer/Technician
RBI Computers & Audio
email at: RBIngraham at juno.com
http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com
http://www.mp3.com/rbiproductions