[NEohioPAL]Super Rave Review of The Rocky Horror Show at The Players Guild!

VanBrujah at aol.com VanBrujah at aol.com
Tue Oct 29 14:40:23 PST 2002

As seen in today's Akron Beacon Journal....

`Rocky Horror' is healthy dose of raunchy fun

Live version of cult-classic movie doesn't hold back on the kinky content or audience antics
By Kerry Clawson

Halloween doesn't get weirder than the live production of The Rocky Horror Show at the Players Guild of Canton. The show's totally uninhibited, young cast makes for a truly authentic Rocky experience.

This is a frantically funny musical with a six-piece band that really rocks. The Players Guild has chosen a risky undertaking that might raise some eyebrows; the cast hasn't softened the kinky content one bit.

The goal in choosing the raunchy musical, whose 1975 film spun off into a cult classic, was to draw new, younger audiences to the theater. From the looks of Sunday's predominantly young audience, it's working.

The energy in the room, even before the show, made it feel like a party.

This show isn't for the faint of heart. Chances are, if you haven't seen the movie, you're not going to adequately understand or appreciate this live stage production.

It's more crazily crude than the movie, providing a more visceral experience. The Players Guild helps everyone become part of the fun by selling prop kits, to be used at appropriate moments in the show. Those items range from flashlights to toilet paper.

And the theater is encouraging everyone to make a mess. After Sunday night's production, the rows were thoroughly littered with toilet paper, confetti and playing cards.

Anyone who tries to take The Rocky Horror Show seriously should know it is total camp. It spoofs rock 'n' roll, horror stories and transvestites. There's really not much of a story here, but that's not the point.

In this show, all of the obscenities and insults the audience yells out are just as important as what's happening onstage. Fans who know every line inside out were just as funny Sunday night as the talented folks onstage.

The cast has captured the spirit of the show amazingly well. It's impressive how these actors can carry on naturally as audience members scream at them, neither obviously anticipating the barbs nor pausing too long when they happen.

That's a testimony to great directing by Amy Sima and a strongly cohesive cast.

Zac Hudak, who plays transvestite Frank-N-Furter, looks like he was born to wear stilettos. He's totally at ease prancing, dancing and cavorting about the stage in women's clothing. The Players Guild has updated the movie transvestite's corset and bikini with pleather hot pants (very short shorts), a bustier, fishnets and dangerously high heels.

It's good that Hudak hasn't tried to replicate Tim Curry's rather threatening Frank-N-Furter from the movie. Hudak brings his own, friskier interpretation to the Players Guild stage.

Alisa Ledyard and Joseph Wolford are convincingly funny as prudes Janet and Brad, who spend most of their time at Frank-N-Furter's castle in their underwear.

Jennica McCleary and Melissa Day have plenty of attitude as Magenta and Columbia. McCleary does double duty as choreographer, with her liveliest number being the infamous Let's Do the Time Warp.

Mark Christine is an oversized, buff baby as Rocky. But even his libido kicks in later in the story.

The phantom chorus is great fun, too, featuring seven actors and actresses in plenty of pleather and other club wear.

This show's demented sex scenes go beyond risque. The language is also harsh, intended for only mature audiences. I wouldn't recommend the show for children younger than high-school age.

The Rocky Horror Show, which debuted on Broadway in 1975, ran only 32 performances then. Its revival in 2000, which originally starred Joan Jett as Columbia, ran 10 months, closed because of Sept. 11, then opened again for about two months, closing last January.

>From the looks of the Players Guild's performance, the rock 'n' roll show is alive and well in Northeast Ohio.
The show runs through Thursday, October 31 with 8 PM performances Tuesday, Oct. 29 and Wednesday, Oct.30.  There will be TWO shows on Thursday, Oct. 31, at 7 and 11 PM.

Call the box office at 330-453-7617 to order your tickets now! Box office hours are 10-2, Monday-Saturday.
The box office will also open one hour before curtain time.
For additional information, be sure to check out our website at www.playersguildtheatre.com or call the main office at 330-453-7619. Tickets are $15.