[NEohioPAL]A Mike and Ike Satirical Review of the University of Akron's "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

Jeff Holland rdoughnuts at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 15:15:11 PST 2002

--0-1934362278-1036701855=:80590

WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING REVIEW HAS BEEN RATED PG-13 BY JUJU, THE LITTLE MONKEY THAT JUTS OUT OF MY FOREHEAD AND SINGS JERRY HERMAN TUNES TO ME WHEN I AM SAD AND LONELY--Jeff Holland

IKE:  How the hell we supposed ta follow that up?

MIKE:  I don't care.  I'm leaving.

I:  You ain't goin' anywhere, limey.

M:  I can't do this now.  It's too soon.

I:  Face your pain.   Grow from it.

M:  My stomach lining is now the strength of one ply toilet tissue because of that show.  I've grown enough, thank you.

I:  Okay, what is the bug up your butt over this?

PAUSE

M:  It's a one act.

I:  Oh, for the love of--

M:  Shakespeare is not supposed to be a one act!

I:  At least start out with a valid criticism!  This is nit picky.

M:  All right, I understand that, not only did Shakespeare write some of the most  beautiful language ever recorded, but he wrote a hell of a lot of it.

I:  If Kenneth Branaugh's four and a half version of Hamlet taught us anything it's that we didn't need a four and a half hour version of Hamlet.

M:  Yes, good ole Wills should have learned the value of time compression through editing, but not down to ninety minutes.

I:  Why not?

M:  Shakespearean theatre needs an intermission.

I:  Why?

M:  Because that's the way it's done!

I:  Well, someone's being particularly British this mornin.'  You're the one who's always bitchin' about too much conventional the-ater.  There's one convention thrown right inta the wood chipper.

M:  Did you even understand the plot?

I:  Yeah, a coked up fairy makes everybody fall in love with everybody else, a chick sleeps with a donkey, and the Village People do a play.

M:  Okay, I'm impressed.

I:  Don't ask for specifics.  When it comes to Shakespeare, I work best in broad generalities.

M:  So how many different kinds of amphetomines do you think the noble Mr. Goodfellow was on?

I:  Be nice.

M:  Oh, coming from you that's really funny.  Don't get me wrong.  I liked him.  He was just really . . . really . . . wired.

I:  Kinda made ya wish I'd brought the tranquilizer gun, didn't it?

M:  Oh, yes!

I:  And that boy got inta some positions that I never want to see another human being attempt EVER!!  It was funny, but scary as hell.

M:  As was Bottom in the shiny golden underwear.

I:  As is the whole concept of a chick sleeping with a donkey, even if it is bipedal and talks.

M:  As was the Village People.

I:  As was the Village People in the "Dreamgirls" costumes at the end of the show.

M:  As was Lysander being played by J.R. Ewing.

I:  As was the La-La song.

M:  Oh,  God, yes!  I tried to forget they made it a musical.

I:  I couldn't.  I will forever be haunted by La-La's.

M:  The songs aren't bad at all.  The lyrics are Shakespeares and the music is either Beethoven or 70's mellow rock, so it's fun, but why do it?

I:  Breaking convention.

M:  Shut up.

I:  Did ya think it was funny that Oberon, big burly manly man with the Han Solo thing goin' on, sang like Al Jarreau?

M:  No, I thought it was funny watching you have the siezure during the La-La song.

I:(Shuddering) Too many La-La's.

M:  The music was pretty.

I:  TOO MANY LA-LA'S.

M:  Good to know I wasn't the only one going through pain.

I:  Yeah, but I like pain.

M:  Didn't need to know that.

I:  You're missin' the point.  I didn't understand a single thing that was said during that show, the costumes were freaky, the disco lights were sending me to the astral plane, and for a comedy, it really didn't get funny until the end of the show.

M:  Then why did you like it so much?

I:  Cause it was weird, it was different, and I had a good time watching and occasionally making fun of it.  This is not for purists, unless you're a purist with a sense of humor.  Did you enjoy the show?

M:  Well, I--

I:  Did you have fun?

M:  Well, I--

I:  Is it not unlike most Shakespearean theatre you've seen?

M:   That I will give you, but it's not--  The show isn't--  I did actually sort of like it.

I:  Just too damn many la-la's.

M:  And not enough acts.

PAUSE

I:  Are we still on that?

M:  I'm sorry but I had to urinate for the last half hour of the show.

I:  Okay, we done here.

SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM IKE

Okay, we missed Rocky Horror (Grrr) so we're gonna try for another freaky musical.  Hopefully, this saturday we gonna be at Lobo a Go Go.  If not, we'll be either be drinking, watching the season one DVD set of Babylon 5, or in a Turkish prison.

--0-1934362278-1036701855=:80590

<P>WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING REVIEW HAS BEEN RATED PG-13 BY JUJU, THE LITTLE MONKEY THAT JUTS OUT OF MY FOREHEAD AND SINGS JERRY HERMAN TUNES TO ME WHEN I AM SAD AND LONELY--Jeff Holland</P>
<P>IKE:  How the hell we supposed ta follow <EM>that </EM>up?</P>
<P>MIKE:  I don't care.  I'm leaving.</P>
<P>I:  You ain't goin' anywhere, limey.</P>
<P>M:  I can't do this now.  It's too soon.</P>
<P>I:  Face your pain.   Grow from it.</P>
<P>M:  My stomach lining is now the strength of one ply toilet tissue because of that show.  I've grown enough, thank you.</P>
<P>I:  Okay, what is the bug up your butt over this?</P>
<P>PAUSE</P>
<P>M:  It's a one act.</P>
<P>I:  Oh, for the love of--</P>
<P>M:  Shakespeare is not supposed to be a one act!</P>
<P>I:  At least start out with a valid criticism!  This is nit picky.</P>
<P>M:  All right, I understand that, not only did Shakespeare write some of the most  beautiful language ever recorded, but he wrote a hell of a lot of it.</P>
<P>I:  If Kenneth Branaugh's four and a half version of Hamlet taught us anything it's that we didn't need a four and a half hour version of Hamlet.</P>
<P>M:  Yes, good ole Wills should have learned the value of time compression through editing, but not down to ninety minutes.</P>
<P>I:  Why not?</P>
<P>M:  Shakespearean theatre needs an intermission.</P>
<P>I:  Why?</P>
<P>M:  Because that's the way it's done!</P>
<P>I:  Well, someone's being particularly British this mornin.'  You're the one who's always bitchin' about too much conventional the-ater.  There's one convention thrown right inta the wood chipper.</P>
<P>M:  Did you even understand the plot?</P>
<P>I:  Yeah, a coked up fairy makes everybody fall in love with everybody else, a chick sleeps with a donkey, and the Village People do a play.</P>
<P>M:  Okay, I'm impressed.</P>
<P>I:  Don't ask for specifics.  When it comes to Shakespeare, I work best in broad generalities.</P>
<P>M:  So how many different kinds of amphetomines do you think the noble Mr. Goodfellow was on?</P>
<P>I:  Be nice.</P>
<P>M:  Oh, coming from you that's really funny.  Don't get me wrong.  I liked him.  He was just really . . . really . . . wired.</P>
<P>I:  Kinda made ya wish I'd brought the tranquilizer gun, didn't it?</P>
<P>M:  Oh, yes!</P>
<P>I:  And that boy got inta some positions that I never want to see another human being attempt EVER!!  It was funny, but scary as hell.</P>
<P>M:  As was Bottom in the shiny golden underwear.</P>
<P>I:  As is the whole concept of a chick sleeping with a donkey, even if it is bipedal and talks.</P>
<P>M:  As was the Village People.</P>
<P>I:  As was the Village People in the "Dreamgirls" costumes at the end of the show.</P>
<P>M:  As was Lysander being played by J.R. Ewing.</P>
<P>I:  As was the La-La song.</P>
<P>M:  Oh,  God, yes!  I tried to forget they made it a musical.</P>
<P>I:  I couldn't.  I will forever be haunted by La-La's.</P>
<P>M:  The songs aren't bad at all.  The lyrics are Shakespeares and the music is either Beethoven or 70's mellow rock, so it's fun, but why do it?</P>
<P>I:  Breaking convention.</P>
<P>M:  Shut up.</P>
<P>I:  Did ya think it was funny that Oberon, big burly manly man with the Han Solo thing goin' on, sang like Al Jarreau?</P>
<P>M:  No, I thought it was funny watching you have the siezure during the La-La song.</P>
<P>I:(Shuddering) Too many La-La's.</P>
<P>M:  The music was pretty.</P>
<P>I:  TOO MANY LA-LA'S.</P>
<P>M:  Good to know I wasn't the only one going through pain.</P>
<P>I:  Yeah, but I like pain.</P>
<P>M:  Didn't need to know that.</P>
<P>I:  You're missin' the point.  I didn't understand a single thing that was said during that show, the costumes were freaky, the disco lights were sending me to the astral plane, and for a comedy, it really didn't get funny until the end of the show.</P>
<P>M:  Then why did you like it so much?</P>
<P>I:  Cause it was weird, it was different, and I had a good time watching and occasionally making fun of it.  This is not for purists, unless you're a purist with a sense of humor.  Did you enjoy the show?</P>
<P>M:  Well, I--</P>
<P>I:  Did you have fun?</P>
<P>M:  Well, I--</P>
<P>I:  Is it not unlike most Shakespearean theatre you've seen?</P>
<P>M:   That I will give you, but it's not--  The show isn't--  I did actually sort of like it.</P>
<P>I:  Just too damn many la-la's.</P>
<P>M:  And not enough acts.</P>
<P>PAUSE</P>
<P>I:  Are we still on that?</P>
<P>M:  I'm sorry but I had to urinate for the last half hour of the show.</P>
<P>I:  Okay, we done here.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM IKE</P>
--0-1934362278-1036701855=:80590--