[NEohioPAL]Lake Co Taskforce needs help to establish cultural district

Wanda Wareham wwareham at fineartsassociation.org
Mon Nov 25 16:13:03 PST 2002

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C294A4.CEF4EAE0

To all Northeast Ohio Arts supporters:

The Lake County Community Arts and Culture Taskforce (the Taskforce)
presented its final report to the Lake County Commissioners last Thursday
the 21st of November. It was the recommendation of the Taskforce that the
Commissioners establish a Cultural District for the county, based on section
3381 of the Ohio Revised Code, and that initial funding be provided from a
percentage of an anticipated increase in Lake County's Bed Tax.

If successful, this effort will create only the third county- wide public
funding of the arts in all of Ohio. It would represent a small but
significant step in developing new sources of funding for our deserved
sector, and could lead to matching efforts that could establish a measurable
support impact that would be beneficial to a great many Lake Countians.

This is by no means a sure thing in Lake County, there are several more
narrowly focused groups also seeking this funding source from the
Commissioners (the most notable of which is the Eastlake Baseball Stadium
group, which seeks nearly the entire annual increase). The Taskforce is only
seeking approximately .4 percent of the 1.6% total increase, which would add
up to about $130,000 annually. As you can imagine, even this small amount
would be welcomed in the non profit arts sector, which our survey indicates
as generating more than $30mil annually for the Lake county Economy.

I'm calling on all Lake County individuals who receive this message to
contact Commissioner

Dan Troy at the Commissioners office at:

lccomm at lakecountyohio.org

or phone in at 440- 350-2752

to voice your support for the creation of the Cultural commission and its
funding. It will take all of our voices to make history happen in Lake
County! I also ask non residents of Lake county to consider contacting the
Commissioners to impress upon them the significance of the courageous and
fair- minded act they are considering.

This is a challenging time for our sector, we can only hope that the powers
that be acknowledge and support the idea that arts and culture drive their
economy and are a key to community prosperity.

Thanks,

Charlie Lawrence

Executive Director

Fine Arts Association

ps, if you would like a copy of the report please contact me at this
address.

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C294A4.CEF4EAE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>To all Northeast Ohio Arts supporters:</P>
<P>The Lake County Community Arts and Culture Taskforce (the Taskforce)=20
presented its final report to the Lake County Commissioners last =
Thursday the=20
21st of November. It was the recommendation of the Taskforce that the=20
Commissioners establish a Cultural District for the county, based on =
section=20
3381 of the Ohio Revised Code, and that initial funding be provided from =
a=20
percentage of an anticipated increase in Lake County's Bed Tax. </P>
<P>If successful, this effort will create only the third county- wide =
public=20
funding of the arts in all of Ohio. It would represent a small but =
significant=20
step in developing new sources of funding for our deserved sector, and =
could=20
lead to matching efforts that could establish a measurable support =
impact that=20
would be beneficial to a great many Lake Countians.</P>
<P>This is by no means a sure thing in Lake County, there are several =
more=20
narrowly focused groups also seeking this funding source from the =
Commissioners=20
(the most notable of which is the Eastlake Baseball Stadium group, which =
seeks=20
nearly the entire annual increase). The Taskforce is only seeking =
approximately=20
.4 percent of the 1.6% total increase, which would add up to about =
$130,000=20
annually. As you can imagine, even this small amount would be welcomed =
in the=20
non profit arts sector, which our survey indicates as generating more =
than=20
$30mil annually for the Lake county Economy.</P>
<P>I'm calling on all Lake County individuals who receive this message =
to=20
contact Commissioner</P>
<P>Dan Troy at the Commissioners office at:</P>
<P>lccomm at lakecountyohio.org</P>
<P>or phone in at 440- 350-2752</P>
<P>to voice your support for the creation of the Cultural commission and =
its=20
funding. It will take all of our voices to make history happen in Lake =
County! I=20
also ask non residents of Lake county to consider contacting the =
Commissioners=20
to impress upon them the significance of the courageous and fair- minded =
act=20
they are considering.</P>
<P>This is a challenging time for our sector, we can only hope that the =
powers=20
that be acknowledge and support the idea that arts and culture drive =
their=20
economy and are a key to community prosperity.</P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P>Charlie Lawrence</P>
<P>Executive Director</P>
<P>Fine Arts Association</P>
<P>ps, if you would like a copy of the report please contact me at this=20
address.</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C294A4.CEF4EAE0--