[NEohioPAL]CPT continues Big [Box] Series this weekend with White River Crossing

Jeff Syroney jsyroney at cptonline.org
Mon Jan 13 10:42:06 PST 2003

------=_NextPart_000_012E_01C2BAF8.BB358DA0

Cleveland Public Theatre's
Big [BOX] Series continues this weekend with

Aaron Rapljenovic
&
Robert Wesner's

White River Crossing
a multimedia dance performance

January 17, 18 & 19, 2003
Friday and Saturday 8:00pm
Sunday 3:00pm

216.631.2727
6415 Detroit Avenue
Cleveland, OH

www.cptonline.org

A Note Bout Big [BOX]

Big [BOX] is a response to the times and where we are as artists, audiences
and an arts organization. The world seems to change in unsettling ways by
the hour – from the escalation of violence in the Middle East to 55(!)
whales committing suicide on the beach at Cape Cod this past summer. Things
aren’t good. Truly, nothing is certain. Of course the arts are always the
first to respond to seismic global and cultural shifts. Unfortunately we’re
also the first to take the hit when the economy goes south. We don’t have
enough resources in the best of times, and make do with very little. Now
once again we find ourselves soldiering on through yet another hard time,
sweating every financial decision. But a bad economy doesn’t stop art from
being created. It just makes it more difficult to find the support necessary
to fully realize it. Since we have weathered all of this before we’re all
pretty savvy about employing the little resources we do have. And although
things are tough again, we are prepared to do our part in making sure that
artists have a stage.

>From what I understand, CPT was once more of a hotbed of activity with all
sorts of things happening all the time. This was the dynamic that made the
place so different and important. However, there was a casual, unpredictable
quality that proved to be a double-edged sword. On the one side, there was a
lot of original, daring and exciting work that was risky and artistically
brilliant. On the other side there was work that, however well intentioned,
was not of professional quality. Over time many artists became disenchanted
with working here and audiences disengaged from the work being done.

The past several seasons have been ones of change as we worked to
reestablish CPT in the eyes of both the artists and the public. Artists
needed more than a rough and tumble experience trying to do their work here
and audiences have grown much more sophisticated and demanding. So we raised
the bar for both artistic support and quality of work. It has proven
successful. But, in moving the theatre toward a higher-grade artistic
product we now risk losing the sense of immediacy and reckless danger that
new work in process can bring. We also risk the impression that we are a
closed shop and there is no room for the artist that wants to experiment. We
want to dispel that. We’ve got to open the doors and mix it up a little. We
don’t have much money, but we know how to use the other resources we have.

To that end we have created a new initiative called Big [BOX]. Nine week
have been set aside for new artist initiated works. Big [BOX] is about
whatever the artist wants to focus on. The curating involved is in the
selection of the artist not necessarily the art. Each artist will have a
slot to do his or her work. We open the doors, give them a key, show them
how to turn on the lights, and let them experiment. Aside from getting a
sense of the artist’s point of view and intent, we pretty much get out of
the way. We want the artist to feel free to create without the pressure of
oversight and the imposition of the particulars of our artistic vision and
sensibilities. We’re available if they need us, and invisible if they don’t.
We don’t attend auditions or rehearsals or design meetings. We let the
artist chart their own course, make their own decisions, take their own
risks.

Simone de Beauvoir called America a "big box full of surprises." What’s
inside Big [BOX]? We’re as eager as you to find out.

Randy Rollison

Artistic Director

Jeff Syroney
Director of Marketing and Public Relations
Cleveland Public Theatre
216.631.2727 ext. 203
jsyroney at cptonline.org
www.cptonline.org

------=_NextPart_000_012E_01C2BAF8.BB358DA0

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#00ffff><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial size=3D5>Cleveland Public =
Theatre's=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DArial size=3D5>Big [BOX] Series =
continues this=20
weekend with</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" =
size=3D5></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" size=3D5>Aaron =
Rapljenovic</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" =
size=3D5>&</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" size=3D5>Robert =
Wesner's</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Lucida Sans" =
size=3D5></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black"><FONT =
size=3D7><FONT>White River=20
Crossing</FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black"><FONT size=3D7><FONT =
size=3D6>a=20
multimedia dance performance</FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" =
size=3D6></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" size=3D5>January 17, =
18 & 19,=20
2003</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" size=3D5>Friday and =
Saturday=20
8:00pm</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" size=3D5>Sunday =
3:00pm</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" =
size=3D6></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" size=3D6>216.631.2727 =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" size=3D6>6415 Detroit=20
Avenue</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" size=3D6>Cleveland, =
OH</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" =
size=3D6></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" size=3D6><A=20
href=3D"http://www.cptonline.org">www.cptonline.org</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" =
size=3D6></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Veljovic Black" =
size=3D6></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial size=3D1>
<P align=3Djustify><FONT size=3D3><STRONG>A Note Bout Big =
[BOX]</STRONG></FONT></P>
<P align=3Djustify>Big [BOX] is a response to the times and where we are =
as=20
artists, audiences and an arts organization. The world seems to change =
in=20
unsettling ways by the hour =96 from the escalation of violence in the =
Middle East=20
to 55(!) whales committing suicide on the beach at Cape Cod this past =
summer.=20
Things aren=92t good. Truly, nothing is certain. Of course the arts are =
always the=20
first to respond to seismic global and cultural shifts. Unfortunately =
we=92re also=20
the first to take the hit when the economy goes south. We don=92t have =
enough=20
resources in the best of times, and make do with very little. Now once =
again we=20
find ourselves soldiering on through yet another hard time, sweating =
every=20
financial decision. But a bad economy doesn=92t stop art from being =
created. It=20
just makes it more difficult to find the support necessary to fully =
realize it.=20
Since we have weathered all of this before we=92re all pretty savvy =
about=20
employing the little resources we do have. And although things are tough =
again,=20
we are prepared to do our part in making sure that artists have a stage. =
</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>From what I understand, CPT was once more of a hotbed =
of=20
activity with all sorts of things happening all the time. This was the =
dynamic=20
that made the place so different and important. However, there was a =
casual,=20
unpredictable quality that proved to be a double-edged sword. On the one =
side,=20
there was a lot of original, daring and exciting work that was risky and =

artistically brilliant. On the other side there was work that, however =
well=20
intentioned, was not of professional quality. Over time many artists =
became=20
disenchanted with working here and audiences disengaged from the work =
being=20
done.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>The past several seasons have been ones of change as =
we worked=20
to reestablish CPT in the eyes of both the artists and the public. =
Artists=20
needed more than a rough and tumble experience trying to do their work =
here and=20
audiences have grown much more sophisticated and demanding. So we raised =
the bar=20
for both artistic support and quality of work. It has proven successful. =
But, in=20
moving the theatre toward a higher-grade artistic product we now risk =
losing the=20
sense of immediacy and reckless danger that new work in process can =
bring. We=20
also risk the impression that we are a closed shop and there is no room =
for the=20
artist that wants to experiment. We want to dispel that. We=92ve got to =
open the=20
doors and mix it up a little. We don=92t have much money, but we know =
how to use=20
the other resources we have.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>To that end we have created a new initiative called =
Big [BOX].=20
Nine week have been set aside for new artist initiated works. Big [BOX] =
is about=20
whatever the artist wants to focus on. The curating involved is in the =
selection=20
of the artist not necessarily the art. Each artist will have a slot to =
do his or=20
her work. We open the doors, give them a key, show them how to turn on =
the=20
lights, and let them experiment. Aside from getting a sense of the =
artist=92s=20
point of view and intent, we pretty much get out of the way. We want the =
artist=20
to feel free to create without the pressure of oversight and the =
imposition of=20
the particulars of our artistic vision and sensibilities. We=92re =
available if=20
they need us, and invisible if they don=92t. We don=92t attend auditions =
or=20
rehearsals or design meetings. We let the artist chart their own course, =
make=20
their own decisions, take their own risks. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>Simone de Beauvoir called America a "big box full of=20
surprises." What=92s inside Big [BOX]? We=92re as eager as you to find =
out. </P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify> </P>
<P align=3Djustify>Randy Rollison</P>
<P align=3Djustify>Artistic Director</P></FONT></DIV><FONT=20
face=3D"Veljovic Black"><FONT size=3D7><FONT size=3D6>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><BR></FONT><BR></DIV></FONT></FONT>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jeff Syroney<BR>Director of Marketing and =
Public=20
Relations<BR>Cleveland Public Theatre<BR>216.631.2727 ext.=20
203<BR>jsyroney at cptonline.org<BR>www.cptonline.org</FONT> =
</P></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_012E_01C2BAF8.BB358DA0--