[NEohioPAL]New Play by Park Goist to be Presented at CHUH Library March 23rd

Elaine Mosbrook emosbrook at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 12:37:46 PST 2003

--0-1323441370-1047320014=:35913

FAIRFAX NEIGHBORHOOD NETWORK

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

March 6, 2003

Just Say No to Willliam Faulkner will be premiered at the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Main Library on March 23, 2003 at 2:00 PM. Park Goist, Cleveland Heights playwright, has written this play especially to supplement the Northcoast Neighbors Read-a-Book event featured throughout Northeast Ohio for the second year in a row.

The play is based upon an actual incident of an effort by a local school to ban Faulkner’s As I Lay Dying from its classrooms. It brings to mind eerie thoughts of how the current book reading choice of Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury, really could come to pass. Anyone who has read, and been horrified, by the events pictured in the future world of Fahrenheit 451 must be concerned that such book banning (and eventual burning) must never happen here. First Amendment rights are the issue in Goist’s play.

.This production represents the second collaboration by the CH-UH Library and the Fairfax Neighborhood Network during the Read-a-Book period. Last year’s production, The Trial of Tom Robinson, based on To Kill a Mockingbird, played to a full house in the Cleveland Heights Court and won the 2002 Community Vision Award from the Heights Community Congress.

Just Say No to William Faulkner is being directed by local director Margot Cohen and features a cast of local actors with credits throughout the Cleveland area.

The public is invited to attend this free of charge production.

Contact:

Elaine G. Mosbrook

Fairfax Neighborhood Network

2957 Coleridge Road

Cleveland Heights OH 44118

216/932-8730

emosbrook at yahoo.com

Background Information - Fairfax Neighborhood Network

Fairfax Neighborhood Network was formed three years ago in response to the closing of the Cleveland Heights YMCA. The organization consists of area citizens and pledges to promote opportunities for community interaction and growth through recreational, educational and social activities.

Since its inception, the organization assisted the library in its efforts to purchase the building and has endorsed its campaign to establish a cultural arts center in that space. In addition to its support of the library, FNN has provided support to such local organizations as Reaching Heights, Heights Community Congress and the Heights Arts Collaborative.

Fairfax Neighborhood Network’s current major goal is to establish a community park at the Fairfax Elementary School play area with the help of the Board of Education and the Fairfax PTA. The Gazebo at Fairfax will provide space for families to come together in recreational, cultural and sports activities. Look for much more information about The Gazebo, to be available shortly.

--0-1323441370-1047320014=:35913

<B><FONT face=Arial color=#008000 size=5>
<P>FAIRFAX NEIGHBORHOOD NETWORK </P></B><B>
<P>PRESS RELEASE</P></B></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=5></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=4>
<P>For Immediate Release</P>
<P>March 6, 2003</P></FONT><I><FONT face=Arial>
<P>Just Say No to Willliam Faulkner</I> will be premiered at the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Main Library on March 23, 2003 at 2:00 PM. Park Goist, Cleveland Heights playwright, has written this play especially to supplement the Northcoast Neighbors Read-a-Book event featured throughout Northeast Ohio for the second year in a row. </P>
<P>The play is based upon an actual incident of an effort by a local school to ban Faulkner’s <I>As I Lay Dying</I> from its classrooms. It brings to mind eerie thoughts of how the current book reading choice of <I>Fahrenheit 451,</I> by Ray Bradbury, really could come to pass. Anyone who has read, and been horrified, by the events pictured in the future world of <I>Fahrenheit 451</I> must be concerned that such book banning (and eventual burning) must never happen here. First Amendment rights are the issue in Goist’s play.</P>
<P>.This production represents the second collaboration by the CH-UH Library and the Fairfax Neighborhood Network during the Read-a-Book period. Last year’s production, <I>The Trial of Tom Robinson,</I> based on <I>To Kill a Mockingbird,</I> played to a full house in the Cleveland Heights Court and won the 2002 Community Vision Award from the Heights Community Congress.</P><I>
<P>Just Say No to William Faulkner</I> is being directed by local director Margot Cohen and features a cast of local actors with credits throughout the Cleveland area. </P>
<P>The public is invited to attend this free of charge production.</P>
<P>Contact:</P>
<P>Elaine G. Mosbrook</P>
<P>Fairfax Neighborhood Network</P>
<P>2957 Coleridge Road</P>
<P>Cleveland Heights OH 44118</P>
<P>216/932-8730</P>
<P>emosbrook at yahoo.com</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Background Information - Fairfax Neighborhood Network </P></B>
<P>Fairfax Neighborhood Network was formed three years ago in response to the closing of the Cleveland Heights YMCA. The organization consists of area citizens and pledges to promote opportunities for community interaction and growth through recreational, educational and social activities. </P>
<P>Since its inception, the organization assisted the library in its efforts to purchase the building and has endorsed its campaign to establish a cultural arts center in that space. In addition to its support of the library, FNN has provided support to such local organizations as Reaching Heights, Heights Community Congress and the Heights Arts Collaborative.</P>
<P>Fairfax Neighborhood Network’s current major goal is to establish a community park at the Fairfax Elementary School play area with the help of the Board of Education and the Fairfax PTA. The Gazebo at Fairfax will provide space for families to come together in recreational, cultural and sports activities. Look for much more information about The Gazebo, to be available shortly.</P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
--0-1323441370-1047320014=:35913--