[NEohioPAL]WARNING: Theatre Cancellation Epidemic -- what gives??? (Kato Buss)

Kato Buss livchant at msn.com
Fri Mar 21 11:24:13 PST 2003

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C2EF9F.312BFC80

Theatre artists hit by disturbing outbreak.

How many local directors, designers, technicians, and actors=20
have been affected by this spring's rash of season cancellations?

Personally, I was precast (last August) in Dobama Theatre's production =
of
Raised In Captivity, due to open mid-April, only to find out that Dobama =
has
cancelled the remainder of it's season..along with other local theatres.

It has left me quite disappointed and not necessarily due to the loss of =
revenue.
As any non-union actor can tell you the flat-fee at local theatres =
hardly covers
post-show libation. I'm far more disappointed in the loss of creative =
work.

I understand there are many facets to operating a theatre and the =
decision to
"close the doors" is not an easy one. However, if I may be so bold as to =
pose
a question. Does the artistic staff and board of directors of a theatre, =
who select
a season, hire a production staff for each play, and as in my case, =
precast actors
months-and-months in advance, rely on the general pubic to fulfill their =
season?

Finally, at the risk of sounding political, could there be a worse time =
for theatres to go dark?
Has there ever been a time in recent history when our country needed the =
voice of theatre?
And to quote a "Frenchman" (in an act of utter diplomatic irony):
   =20
    "The Theatre must give us everything that is crime, love, war, or =
madness,
     if it wants to recover it's necessity. It is no wonder the Great =
Public looks=20
     to the movies for violent satisfactions, whose intentions do not =
deceive them."

oh screw it..SPIDERMAN IV opens this weekend..popcorn anyone?

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C2EF9F.312BFC80

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"v" =
/><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" />
<DIV><EM>Theatre artists hit by disturbing outbreak.</EM></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>How many local directors, designers, technicians, and actors </DIV>
<DIV>have been <EM>affected</EM> by this spring's rash of season=20
cancellations?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Personally, I was precast (last August) in Dobama Theatre's =
production=20
of</DIV>
<DIV><EM>Raised In Captivity</EM>, due to open mid-April, only to find =
out that=20
Dobama has</DIV>
<DIV>cancelled the remainder of it's season=85.along with other local=20
theatres.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>It has left me quite disappointed and not necessarily due to the =
loss of=20
revenue.</DIV>
<DIV>As any non-union actor can tell you the flat-fee at local theatres =
hardly=20
covers</DIV>
<DIV>post-show libation. I'm far more disappointed in the loss of =
creative=20
work.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I understand there are many facets to operating a theatre and the =
decision=20
to</DIV>
<DIV>"close the doors" is not an easy one. However, if I may be so bold =
as to=20
pose</DIV>
<DIV>a question. Does the artistic staff and board of directors of a =
theatre,=20
who select</DIV>
<DIV>a season, hire a production staff for each play, and as in my case, =
precast=20
actors</DIV>
<DIV>months-and-months in advance, rely on the general pubic =
to fulfill=20
their season?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Finally, at the risk of sounding political, could there be a worse =
time for=20
theatres to go dark?</DIV>
<DIV>Has there ever been a time in recent history when our country =
needed the=20
voice of theatre?</DIV>
<DIV>And to quote a "Frenchman" (in an act of utter diplomatic =
irony):</DIV>
<DIV>    </DIV>
<DIV>    "The Theatre must give us everything that =
is crime,=20
love, war, or madness,</DIV>
<DIV>     if it wants to recover it's =
necessity. It is=20
no wonder the Great Public looks </DIV>
<DIV>     to the movies for violent satisfactions, =
whose=20
intentions do not deceive them."</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>oh screw it=85.SPIDERMAN IV opens this weekend=85.popcorn =
anyone?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C2EF9F.312BFC80--