[NEohioPAL]The Economy Stinks and so does a lot of other things

PATMAZZ at aol.com PATMAZZ at aol.com
Tue Mar 25 15:18:55 PST 2003

I wasn't going to get involved by offering my opinion on the recent emails
dealing with the economy and such.

As many of you know I am a publicist and marketing manager for several area
theatres and such. I have been to numerous board meetings and all sorts of
discussions of why no one is buying tickets.

In opinion......
Since 9/11 things have really changed in this country and now that we are at
war it seems to be intensified.

People wanted to go be entertained when they go to the theatre. They want to
escape to world they are not accustomed to. Audiences tastes have changed. P
eople (not all) no longer want to sit through plays about dead children,
unhappy marriages, the mid east, AIDS and such. Why do you think the movie
"Chicago" has been so popular and has won so many awards? Its entertaining.
Its entertaining while still dealing with a heavy subject "Murder". This
movie was supposed to be made many years ago with Liza Minelli and Goldie
Hawn but it never happened. Now people are seeing two, three times. Its
entertaining. Its time is now!

The one theatre which I work in one season had seven shows they produced
right after 9/11  All did fair to bad box office! Why? Each show dealt with
death in one way or another and each show had dialogue about dead children.
NO ONE WANTS
THIS ANY MORE.
I'm not suggesting they do The Odd Couple or The Sound of Music. Artistic
Directors do not take "want the audience wants" into consideration. They
choose seasons which are of interest to them and NOT  their audiences. There
are plenty of plays and musicals that are older but real gems that people
want to see.

Take Cain Park this summer (2003) A great two shows FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
which people seem not to tire of and BATBOY:The musical, which sounds like a
lot of fun. The Beck Center is doing LA CAGE, a great choice, its
entertaining. They also produced MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM another great choice.
WHy is everyone doing 1776? Its not only patriotic but very entertaining.

.  Martin Freidman: I have always respected you but why another production of
INTO THE WOODS? If I'm not mistaken isn't that the third time the college has
done that show?
Three high schools are doing this spring including my alma mater Mayfield
High School. We all love SOndheim but he can be a real downer! I feel bad
about SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE being canceled, but there are so many
other musicals that can be produced that would bring people into the theatre.

The one theatre I work for has had to cancel its last show and that hurts me
greatly.
As a publicist am I NOT doing my job? What is wrong. The artistic director
only chooses show that interest the artistic director. I realize the smaller
theatres like Ensemble and Dobama are struggling but WAKE UP. Dobama's
production of THE TALE OF THE ALLERGIST'S WIFE was so successful was because
it made people laugh! It was funny.

Yes. the economy stinks , the war stinks! But if you are on a board of a
theatre or an artistic director do some research. Take a chance and do
something new , I applaud CPT for mounting a production of DISCORDIA, now
that's being creative while still being true to the world around us

Peace! Ciao! God's Blessings
Pat Mazzarino