[NEohioPAL]CTC on the state of theater in Cleveland

MargLynch at aol.com MargLynch at aol.com
Wed Apr 2 09:16:54 PST 2003

--part1_1c8.7aa855e.2bbc0949_boundary

CTC on the State of Theater in Cleveland

There have been postings on the NEOhioPal list relating to the general state
of theater and the arts in Cleveland.  We at CTC wanted to share some
information and perspective about various initiatives going on right now.

1.  Advocacy:  CPAC, Community Partnership for Arts and Culture, is
spearheading the effort to get public funding for the arts on a countywide
ballot as early as November.

What we can do: Write to our county commissioners indicating support for
public funding for the arts.  REGISTER TO VOTE.

2.  Research: With the help of a consortium of local funders, the Urban
Institute Office of Public Affairs has been conducting research in Cleveland
on patterns of support for artists and public attitudes toward artists, with
recommendations for enhancing support for artists and their work.  This
information complements research that CPAC has already conducted about
patterns of participation in the arts in Cleveland.  CPAC will spearhead a
planning process for implementing the recommendations.  The research will be
reported on www.usartistsreport.org.

What we can do: Check out the report; watch for CPAC's announcements about
the planning and implementation processes.

3.  Entrepreneurship: CPAC has sponsored artist-as-entrepreneur workshops.
COSE, the Greater Cleveland Growth Association's Council on Small
Enterprises, will award funds to an artist-driven "business plan" this year.
The project is explained on www.cosechallenge.org.

What we can do: Take advantage of such opportunities.

4.  Forums: The Cleveland Theater Collective held a forum for theater artists
in November. Another forum will be announced shortly for early May.  These
forums will be organized around timely topics and are open to the entire
theater community.  They present opportunities for theater artists to come
together to discuss and to develop action plans around topics that affect us
all.

What we can do: Participate in such forums, discussions, events.  Contact CTC
about volunteering to help implement the ideas that come out of these
discussions.  There are more ideas than two people could possibly follow
through on alone.  Join CTC (www.ctcollective.org) to keep informed but also
to signal to funders that the theater community is engaged and active.

5.  Cooperation: The Cleveland Theater Collective is hosting a series of
conversations among representatives of various theaters in northeast Ohio to
discuss ways of sharing resources and cooperating on marketing and other
communication endeavors.

What we can do: Keep posted for the announcement of action plans.

--part1_1c8.7aa855e.2bbc0949_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>CTC on the State of Theat=
er in Cleveland
<BR>
<BR>There have been postings on the NEOhioPal list relating to the general s=
tate of theater and the arts in Cleveland.  We at CTC wanted to share s=
ome information and perspective about various initiatives going on right now=
.
<BR>
<BR>1.  Advocacy:  CPAC, Community Partnership for Arts and Culture, is=
 spearheading the effort to get public funding for the arts on a countywide=20=
ballot as early as November.
<BR>
<BR><B>What we can do: Write to our county commissioners indicating support=20=
for public funding for the arts.  REGISTER TO VOTE.</B>
<BR>
<BR>2.  Research: With the help of a consortium of local funders, the Urban=20=
Institute Office of Public Affairs has been conducting research in Cleveland=
 on patterns of support for artists and public attitudes toward artists, wit=
h recommendations for enhancing support for artists and their work.  Th=
is information complements research that CPAC has already conducted about pa=
tterns of participation in the arts in Cleveland.  CPAC will spearhead=20=
a planning process for implementing the recommendations.  The research=20=
will be reported on www.usartistsreport.org.
<BR>
<BR><B>What we can do: Check out the report; watch for CPAC's announcements=20=
about the planning and implementation processes.</B>
<BR>
<BR>3.  Entrepreneurship: CPAC has sponsored artist-as-entrepreneur workshop=
s.  COSE, the Greater Cleveland Growth Association's Council on Small E=
nterprises, will award funds to an artist-driven "business plan" this year.=20=
 The project is explained on www.cosechallenge.org.
<BR>
<BR><B>What we can do: Take advantage of such opportunities.</B>
<BR>
<BR>4.  Forums: The Cleveland Theater Collective held a forum for theater ar=
tists in November. Another forum will be announced shortly for early May. &n=
bsp;These forums will be organized around timely topics and are open to the=20=
entire theater community.  They present opportunities for theater artis=
ts to come together to discuss and to develop action plans around topics tha=
t affect us all.
<BR>
<BR><B>What we can do: Participate in such forums, discussions, events. &nbs=
p;Contact CTC about volunteering to help implement the ideas that come out o=
f these discussions.  There are more ideas than two people could possib=
ly follow through on alone.  Join CTC (www.ctcollective.org) to keep in=
formed but also to signal to funders that the theater community is engaged a=
nd active.</B>
<BR>
<BR>5.  Cooperation: The Cleveland Theater Collective is hosting a series of=
 conversations among representatives of various theaters in northeast Ohio t=
o discuss ways of sharing resources and cooperating on marketing and other c=
ommunication endeavors.
<BR>
<BR><B>What we can do: Keep posted for the announcement of action plans.</B>=
</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1c8.7aa855e.2bbc0949_boundary--