[NEohioPAL]The Economy Stinks and so on

VICTORIA KORKOSZ vickisis at prodigy.net
Wed Apr 2 09:17:52 PST 2003

--0-729453790-1049294100=:52891

Hi, Friends...while I have never responded to any of the threads published on this fine list, everyone's thoughtful comments caused me to add my two cents...
I am a professional fund raiser and have worked with all aspects of non-profit charitable organizations for eleven years, both arts organizations and social service organizations. I am also a local actress and singer and have been associated with many of the fine theatres being threatened in this environment.  The economy certainly DOES stink and so does the general arts funding support in this country, certainly not just in Cleveland, it is a nationwide problem that has been growing yearly with the threat of National Endowment cuts. That being said, all charitable organziations are facing cuts in programs that have been "staples" for as long as most of us can remember, programs such as Head Start for children, senior nutrition programs, health-screening and testing programs, food banks and family food centers just to name a few...all non-profit organizations that I am affiliated have been forced to look at their bottom-ine and make cuts in several fundamental programs, including arts' programs for children and teens.
The challenge of raising funds to support arts programs will continue to grow with the sinking economy...whatever happens in Iraq will still lead to the so-called "humanitarian relief" that this nation will have to fund..look for greater funding cuts in the future.
The challenge now is not for arts organizations to abandon their missions and reshape their visions, but to work to develop creative fund raising techniques with a solid resource development plan...easier said than done, of course, but Lissy Gulick brings up some fine points...while collaboration between organizaitons may not be possible, cooperation certainly can be...perhaps sharing space, marketing resources, fund raising resources and some long-term fiscal planning (such as endowment programs) could lead to new ways of raising money and maintaining programming.
Look again at how you are raising funds...revenue cannot just come from ticket sales and I'm afraid that local foundations are rapidly tapping out...is your Board a fund-raising arm?  If they aren't they need to be...consider board training (share the cost with another organization..that would be worth a few sheckles to save a season), consider a strategic development plan that includes endowment...have all of your major donors been approached for a long-term, important gift, or do you barrage them with media several times a year sending "red alert" messages without proving your financial solvency...these are not easy questions but these are not easy times...
I encourage everyone associated with an arts organization, either as staff, board members, performers or consultants, to creatively approach fund raising and come up with new, shared ideas...above all, keep the faith.  The arts may not be bread on the table but is certainly food for our souls...Peace
Vicki Karnafel Korkosz
Director and Fund Raising Advisor
VK and Associates
216-496-3818
vickisis at prodigy.net
LissyGulick at aol.com wrote:Dear Ones,
Following this thread has been extremely interesting -- and I hope to
contribute another dimension to the discussion, hopefully to spur us artistic
types into some creative brainstorming and problem-solving re: our economic
dilemma.
I am a rabidly-loyal native Clevelander and locally-known performer (see
link below). As well, for the past 25 years, I have had the privilege (and
usually, pleasure!) of serving on the board of a charitable foundation which
has lent heavy support to the arts in northeast Ohio (I am the foundation's
resident squeaky wheel when it comes to supporting the arts in northeast
Ohio).
Our final 2002 grant-making meeting was one of the longest, and THE most
heavy-hearted, that I can remember: because the foundation's portfolio had
taken a dive just like every one else's, we were not able to fund, or fully
support, the organizations (arts and others) that we most wanted to. We had
to reduce or in some cases eliminate grants we would otherwise readily have
funded; worse, we had to turn down requests from several new artistic
organizations. As the local-artist and arts-activist, that really HURT!
But faced with the choice between funding EITHER a beloved arts
organization, OR a crucial social-service provider-- I had to think like the
rabidly-loyal Clevelander.
The question now is, how can we step into both roles at the same time?
Can't we put on both the local-artist's and the loyal-resident's ballcaps (as
well as our thinking caps) and generate some creative solutions?
For starters, using the model of an umbrella organization such as Greater
Cleveland Community Shares, I am wondering if at least some local producing
entities could form some sort of consortium, under one roof. Expenses and
talent could be shared and pooled instead of duplicated. One medium-sized
foundation grant to one such an entity would go a lot farther, and have far
more impact, than the same money split among, say, three producers -- and
(wearing my "foundation" ballcap) it sure beats having to turn down a fourth!

Yours in the faith,

Lissy Gulick

http://www.geocities.com/lissygulick/Lissy_Gulick.html
--0-729453790-1049294100=:52891

<P>Hi, Friends...while I have never responded to any of the threads published on this fine list, everyone's thoughtful comments caused me to add my two cents...
<P>I am a professional fund raiser and have worked with all aspects of non-profit charitable organizations for eleven years, both arts organizations and social service organizations. I am also a local actress and singer and have been associated with many of the fine theatres being threatened in this environment.  The economy certainly DOES stink and so does the general arts funding support in this country, certainly not just in Cleveland, it is a nationwide problem that has been growing yearly with the threat of National Endowment cuts. That being said, all charitable organziations are facing cuts in programs that have been "staples" for as long as most of us can remember, programs such as Head Start for children, senior nutrition programs, health-screening and testing programs, food banks and family food centers just to name a few...all non-profit organizations that I am affiliated have been forced to look at their bottom-ine and make cuts in several fundamental programs, including arts' programs for children and teens.
<P>The challenge of raising funds to support arts programs will continue to grow with the sinking economy...whatever happens in Iraq will still lead to the so-called "humanitarian relief" that this nation will have to fund..look for greater funding cuts in the future.
<P>The challenge now is not for arts organizations to abandon their missions and reshape their visions, but to work to develop creative fund raising techniques with a solid resource development plan...easier said than done, of course, but Lissy Gulick brings up some fine points...while collaboration between organizaitons may not be possible, <EM>cooperation </EM>certainly can be...perhaps sharing space, marketing resources, fund raising resources and some long-term fiscal planning (such as endowment programs) could lead to new ways of raising money and maintaining programming.
<P>Look again at how you are raising funds...revenue cannot just come from ticket sales and I'm afraid that local foundations are rapidly tapping out...is your Board a fund-raising arm?  If they aren't they need to be...consider board training (share the cost with another organization..that would be worth a few sheckles to save a season), consider a strategic development plan that includes endowment...have all of your major donors been approached for a long-term, important gift, or do you barrage them with media several times a year sending "red alert" messages without proving your financial solvency...these are not easy questions but these are not easy times...
<P>I encourage everyone associated with an arts organization, either as staff, board members, performers or consultants, to creatively approach fund raising and come up with new, <EM>shared </EM>ideas...above all, keep the faith.  The arts may not be bread on the table but is certainly food for our souls...Peace
<P>Vicki Karnafel Korkosz
<P>Director and Fund Raising Advisor
<P>VK and Associates
<P>216-496-3818
<P><A href="mailto:vickisis at prodigy.net">vickisis at prodigy.net</A>
<P><STRONG><EM>LissyGulick at aol.com</EM></STRONG> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Dear Ones,<BR>Following this thread has been extremely interesting -- and I hope to <BR>contribute another dimension to the discussion, hopefully to spur us artistic <BR>types into some creative brainstorming and problem-solving re: our economic <BR>dilemma.<BR>I am a rabidly-loyal native Clevelander and locally-known performer (see <BR>link below). As well, for the past 25 years, I have had the privilege (and <BR>usually, pleasure!) of serving on the board of a charitable foundation which <BR>has lent heavy support to the arts in northeast Ohio (I am the foundation's <BR>resident squeaky wheel when it comes to supporting the arts in northeast <BR>Ohio).<BR>Our final 2002 grant-making meeting was one of the longest, and THE most <BR>heavy-hearted, that I can remember: because the foundation's portfolio had <BR>taken a dive just like every one else's, we were not able to fund, or fully <BR>support, the organizations (arts and others) that we most wanted to. We had <BR>to reduce or in some cases eliminate grants we would otherwise readily have <BR>funded; worse, we had to turn down requests from several new artistic <BR>organizations. As the local-artist and arts-activist, that really HURT!<BR>But faced with the choice between funding EITHER a beloved arts <BR>organization, OR a crucial social-service provider-- I had to think like the <BR>rabidly-loyal Clevelander. <BR>The question now is, how can we step into both roles at the same time? <BR>Can't we put on both the local-artist's and the loyal-resident's ballcaps (as <BR>well as our thinking caps) and generate some creative solutions? <BR>For starters, using the model of an umbrella organization such as Greater <BR>Cleveland Community Shares, I am wondering if at least some local producing <BR>entities could form some sort of consortium, under one roof. Expenses and <BR>talent could be shared and pooled instead of duplicated. One medium-sized <BR>foundation grant to one such an entity would go a lot farther, and have far <BR>more impact, than the same money split among, say, three producers -- and <BR>(wearing my "foundation" ballcap) it sure beats having to turn down a fourth!<BR><BR><BR>Yours in the faith,<BR><BR><BR><A href="http://www.geocities.com/lissygulick/Lissy_Gulick.html">Lissy Gulick<BR></A><BR>http://www.geocities.com/lissygulick/Lissy_Gulick.html<BR>_______________________________________________<BR>Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the person in the "from" or "reply-to" header.<BR><BR>NEohioPAL mailing list<BR>NEohioPAL at lists.fredsternfeld.com<BR>http://lists.fredsternfeld.com/mailman/listinfo/neohiopal<BR>http://www.fredsternfeld.com</BLOCKQUOTE>
--0-729453790-1049294100=:52891--