[NEohioPAL]DELETE NOW: Not a Mike & Ike Satirical Review of Carnation City Players' "Love, Sex, and the I.R.S."

Jeff Holland rdoughnuts at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 01:34:19 PDT 2003

--0-2017458984-1050089611=:3870

WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING REVIEW IS BEING SET TO MUSIC BY JIM STEINMAN FOR HIS NEW BROADWAY MUSICAL VERSION OF "WHAT'S HAPPENING."  A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM MIKE Our little Algonquin Round Table of critics grows yet again.  I really wanted to see this production.  Apparently, it's done in three acts (Not two, like the production in Streetsboro we saw yesterday) and, let's face it, VInce Stillitano in bad drag.  Worth the price of admission alone.Unfortunately, Ike saw an episode of "Are U Hot" last week and is still in the Summa/St. Thomas Mental Ward drooling excessively and singing the theme to "The Facts of Life."  I would have asked Reginald J. Smythe-Smythe to see it with me but we're still awaiting the results of his exorcism and besides, I believe he was eaten alive by high school students recently.  As I refuse to see plays alone I decided to stay home and watch the deluxe special vista series DVD of "Dude, Where's My Car" and gave the job to the first person I could find in need of a green card. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the critical stylings of Pablo Stefanovich Tsutcheppenish!  I believe his last name is Yiddish for Ike with apologies to Leo Rosten).

PST:       Goodness, I LOOOOOVE Theatre!  And oy did I see a great show.  I had the privledge of seeing one of the most talented community theatre productions of "Love Sex and the IRS" last Saturday at Carnation City Player's Firehouse Theatre that I have ever seen of this particular production at this particular theatre.  It was so good I was able to forgive the fact that another Community theatre has already done the same show last month, although I am sure it was as good as, if not better than, the particular production I am all agoging over.   Now, I admit I may have been greateful that I wasn't watching one of the four hundred productions of "The Laramie Project" currrently on stage, as good as each of them in their own special way is!  Anyhow, what can I say about this production, it was brilliant, heart-warming and hillarious.  The actor who played the IRS Agent gave just the right mix of nerdiness and mania, and the actress who played John's Mother did a Jewish Mother routine to rival Mike Myers. (I should be shot for throwing away the program; these actors were so good they derserve to be mentioned, yet will not).  But what took my very breath away was that never have I seen a man in drag act with such conviction.  If ever I wanted to explore an alternate lifestyle I hope I could do it with the believablity, statuesque figure and shapely legs of Vincent Stillitano.  Yes, he may have looked like Ronald McDonald in drag, but if Rhonda (er Ronald, I mean) McDonald really existed.  That is what he/she would look like.

You are going to have to give me a moment.  I feel a particularly strong gush coming on.

PAUSE

Okay, my unbridled joy at even thinking of this outstanding production has been contained. (Somewhat. I need another "wet wipe") This show featured a uniformly strong cast (a rarety in Community Theatre), each actor clearly understood their role.  Moreover, the actors were each able to give strong performances without upstaging each other.  Usually I see actors getting in each others way or just sucking the life out of a show like a dehydrated vampire set upon the pre-surgical, Al Roker. . . not that there is anything wrong with that and I apologize profusely if my joke has upset any Al Roker / portly weatherperson / Food Network-Pimp fans.  That is one thing I would never, EVER want to do.

In conclusion, this is, without a doubt, the best piece of theatre I have seen in my lifetime and maybe a few previous ones. (With all due respect and appologies to Shirley McLane)  Drive, don't walk--because even though Carnation City has a beautiful space in which to perform, it may put 10 or 15 hundred miles on your odometer, not that this is a bad thing,  for you will be so filled with happiness by the end of this production it won't matter--to see Love, Sex, and the I.R.S.
ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM IKE

So this is what insulin shock is like.  Interesting.

--0-2017458984-1050089611=:3870

<DIV><STRONG>WARNING:  THE FOLLOWING REVIEW IS BEING SET TO MUSIC BY JIM STEINMAN FOR HIS NEW BROADWAY MUSICAL VERSION OF "WHAT'S HAPPENING."</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><EM></EM></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV>A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM MIKE</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Our little Algonquin Round Table of critics grows yet again.  I really wanted to see this production.  Apparently, it's done in three acts (Not two, like the production in Streetsboro we saw yesterday) and, let's face it, VInce Stillitano in bad drag.  Worth the price of admission alone.</DIV>
<DIV>Unfortunately, Ike saw an episode of "Are U Hot" last week and is still in the Summa/St. Thomas Mental Ward drooling excessively and singing the theme to "The Facts of Life."  I would have asked Reginald J. Smythe-Smythe to see it with me but we're still awaiting the results of his exorcism and besides, I believe he was eaten alive by high school students recently.  As I refuse to see plays alone I decided to stay home and watch the deluxe special vista series DVD of "Dude, Where's My Car" and gave the job to the first person I could find in need of a green card.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the critical stylings of Pablo Stefanovich Tsutcheppenish!  I believe his last name is Yiddish for Ike with apologies to Leo Rosten).<BR><BR>PST:       Goodness, I LOOOOOVE Theatre!  And oy did I see a great show.  I had the privledge of seeing one of the most talented community theatre productions of "Love Sex and the IRS" last Saturday at Carnation City Player's Firehouse Theatre that I have ever seen of this particular production at this particular theatre.  It was so good I was able to forgive the fact that another Community theatre has already done the same show last month, although I am sure it was as good as, if not better than, the particular production I am all agoging over.   Now, I admit I may have been greateful that I wasn't watching one of the four hundred productions of "The Laramie Project" currrently on stage, as good as each of them in their own special way is!  </DIV>
<DIV>Anyhow, what can I say about this production, it was brilliant, heart-warming and hillarious.  The actor who played the IRS Agent gave just the right mix of nerdiness and mania, and the actress who played John's Mother did a Jewish Mother routine to rival Mike Myers. (I should be shot for throwing away the program; these actors were so good they derserve to be mentioned, yet will not).  But what took my very breath away was that <U>never</U> have I seen a man in drag act with such conviction.  If ever I wanted to explore an alternate lifestyle I hope I could do it with the believablity, statuesque figure and shapely legs of Vincent Stillitano.  Yes, he may have looked like Ronald McDonald in drag, but if Rhonda (er Ronald, I mean) McDonald really existed.  That is what he/she would look like.  <BR>  <BR>You are going to have to give me a moment.  I feel a particularly strong gush coming on.<BR>  <BR>PAUSE<BR>  <BR>Okay, my unbridled joy at even thinking of this outstanding production has been contained. (Somewhat. I need another "wet wipe") This show featured a uniformly strong cast (a rarety in Community Theatre), each actor clearly understood their role.  Moreover, the actors were each able to give strong performances without upstaging each other.  Usually I see actors getting in each others way or just sucking the life out of a show like a dehydrated vampire set upon the pre-surgical, Al Roker. . . not that there is anything wrong with that and I apologize profusely if my joke has upset any Al Roker / portly weatherperson / Food Network-Pimp fans.  That is one thing I would never, EVER want to do.<BR>  <BR>In conclusion, this is, without a doubt, the best piece of theatre I have seen in my lifetime and maybe a few previous ones. (With all due respect and appologies to Shirley McLane)  Drive, don't walk--because even though Carnation City has a beautiful space in which to perform, it may put 10 or 15 hundred miles on your odometer, not that this is a bad thing,  for you will be so filled with happiness by the end of this production it won't matter--to see Love, Sex, and the I.R.S. </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P>ANOTHER MESSAGE FROM IKE</P>
<P>So this is what insulin shock is like.  Interesting.</P>
--0-2017458984-1050089611=:3870--