[NEohioPAL]This Week at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music

Marci Janas pjanas at oberlin.edu
Fri May 2 16:19:10 PDT 2003

--==========01533348==========

Hello everyone!

Here is your weekly digest of news and events information from the Oberlin
Conservatory of Music.

Congratulations are again in order for Alyson Cambridge, our alumna who won =

the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions last month. I have just
learned that she has been invited to join--and has accepted--a position in
the Metropolitan Opera's Lindemann Young Artist Development Program. She
will begin this program at the Met this September.

As if that were not enough, last weekend she was the top First Prize winner =

at the Licia Albanese-Puccini Foundation International Voice Competition.
The preleminary rounds were held in New York City from April 21 - 26; the
finals were Saturday the 27th. She will receive $5,000 and most important,
will make her Alice Tully Hall debut at the Winners' Concert, November 1,
2003.

Tomorrow she leaves for six weeks at the Opera Theatre of St. Louis
Ensemble Program, where she will cover the title role in Massenet's
"Thais."   Other Oberlinians including are also in the cast. For more
information, please call me at 440-775-8328 or e-mail me at
marci.janas at oberlin.edu.

If you would love to hear another operatic Oberlin alumna in performance,
call our box office at 440-775-8169 to order your reserved tickets for
mezzo-soprano DENYCE GRAVES on Wednesday, May 7, at 8 p.m. in Finney =
Chapel.

More information can be found at:

http://www.oberlin.edu/con

Two other concerts you won't want to miss:

=3F Tuesday, May 6, at 8 p.m. in Warner Concert Hall
The Oberlin Contemporary Music Ensemble, conducted by Timothy Weiss,
in a free, live performance of composer Louis Andriessen's original score
for
the Peter Greenaway silent film M is for Man, Music and Mozart. The film,
which
will also be shown, contains adult content; viewer discretion is advised.
This performance will be presented, as a ticketed event, at The Cleveland
Museum of Art
Friday, May 9, at 7:30 p.m. Please call the Museum at 216-707-2281 for more =

information.

=3F After five years in residence at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, the
St. Petersburg String Quartet is about to embark on a series of new
adventures in good music.
To send the ensemble off properly--and to give local audiences another
extraordinary listening
experience--the Conservatory is presenting a Farewell Concert featuring the =

quartet
Friday, May 9, at 8 p.m. in Finney Chapel. The event is free and open to
the public.
Professor of Pianoforte Monique Duphil will join the ensemble in
performances of Tchaikovsky's
Trio in A minor for piano, violin, and cello, op. 50, and Dvorak's Piano
Quintet in A major.

For more Oberlin Conservatory events information, please visit our
electronic calendar at:

http://www.oberlin.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/events/cal_conservatory.pl

Have a great week!

--Marci

Marci Janas
Director of Conservatory Media Relations
Oberlin Conservatory of Music
39 West College Street
Oberlin, OH  44074
vox: 440-775-8328
fax: 440-776-3006
marci.janas at oberlin.edu
www.oberlin.edu
--==========01533348==========

Here is your weekly digest of news and events information from the Oberlin =
Conservatory of Music.

Congratulations are again in order for <bold>Alyson Cambridge</bold>, our =
Auditions last month</bold>. I have just learned that she has been invited =
to join--and <bold>has accepted--a position in the Metropolitan Opera's =
Lindemann Young Artist Development Program. She will begin this program at =
the Met this September. </bold>

As if that were not enough, last weekend s<bold>he was the top First Prize =
winner at the Licia Albanese-Puccini Foundation International Voice =
Competition.</bold>  The preleminary rounds were held in New York City from =
April 21 - 26; the finals were Saturday the 27th. She will receive $5,000 =
and most important, will make her <bold>Alice Tully Hall debut at the =
Winners' Concert, November 1, 2003.

</bold>

Tomorrow she leaves for six weeks at the <bold>Opera Theatre of St. Louis =
Ensemble Program</bold>, where she will cover the title role in Massenet's =
"Thais."   <bold>Other Oberlinians including are also in the cast.</bold> =
<bold>For more information, please call me at 440-775-8328 or e-mail me at =
marci.janas at oberlin.edu.</bold>

If you would love to hear another operatic Oberlin alumna in performance, =
call our box office at =
DENYCE GRAVES on Wednesday, May 7, at 8 p.m. in Finney Chapel.</color>

More information can be found at:

http://www.oberlin.edu/con

Two other concerts you won't want to miss:

Warner Concert Hall</bold></color>

Ensemble</bold>, conducted by Timothy Weiss,</color>

in a free, live performance of composer Louis Andriessen's original score =
for

the Peter Greenaway silent film <italic>M is for Man, Music and =
Mozart.</italic> The film, which

will also be shown, contains adult content; viewer discretion is advised.

This performance will be presented, as a ticketed event, at The Cleveland =
Museum of Art

Friday, May 9, at 7:30 p.m. Please call the Museum at 216-707-2281 for more =
information.

residence at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, the

Quartet</bold></color> is about to embark on a series of new adventures in =
good music.

To send the ensemble off properly--and to give local audiences another =
extraordinary listening

experience--the Conservatory is presenting a Farewell Concert featuring the =
quartet

Finney Chapel. </bold></color>The event is free and open to the public.

Professor of Pianoforte Monique Duphil will join the ensemble in =
performances of Tchaikovsky's

<italic>Trio in A minor for piano, violin, and cello, op. 50, </italic>and =

marci.janas at oberlin.edu

www.oberlin.edu</flushleft></fontfamily>