[NEohioPAL]Linda Eisenstein's Summer Plugmobile

Linda Eisenstein herone at en.com
Wed Jun 11 06:38:17 PDT 2003

Hi cyberpals -- <br><br>
Summer festival season begins this week for me --  I've got short
plays being done by the armful all summer.  I'd have to clone myself
to see them all, so if you're in the following cities and can let me know
how they went, I'd be most grateful:<br><br>
- Philadelphia, PA, June 11, 13, 14 <br>
PRETZELS & LONGING -- a comic take on lesbian bar cruising, published
in "Best Women's Stage Monologues<x-tab> </x-tab>" -- is a
featured short in Philadelphia's first Gay & Lesbian Theatre
Festival, directed by KC Nocero. It's at the Philadelphia Shakespeare
Theatre, 2112 Sansom. $12. June 11 & 13 @ 8 pm, June 14 @ 2 pm. More
info:
 eudora=3D"autourl"><font color=3D"#0000FF"><u>http://www.philagaylesbianthe=
- Seattle, WA, June 13-29<br>
PIG PATTER -- a new comic short, where 3 teen girls in a school bathroom=
 plot ways to handle sexual innuendo from a popular boy -- is being=
 premiered by Live Girls! in its Quickies Festival IV, directed by Zoe=
 Fitzgerald, and will be published later by Rain City Projects. At the Live=
 Girls! theater space in Pioneer Square, Seattle. Fri-Sat @ 8 pm, Sun @ 2=
 pm. <br><br>
- London, England, July 5 & 6 <br>
PRETZELS & LONGING will be performed along with my comic monologue=
 BALANCING ACT (the frantic confessions of a flamboyant Libra) by Short=
 & Girlie Productions. It's part of "Cock and Hen: short plays by=
 new female writers", being performed at the White Bear Theatre (a pub=
 space) at 138 Kennington Park Road, London, SE11. Tickets are =A38 /=A36=
 concessions; Sat 5th @ 2pm (<i>Pretzels & Longing</i>), Sun 6th @ 7pm=
 (both monologues).<br>
 eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.clark-smith.co.uk/hosted/shortngirlie/</a><br=
- Chicago, IL, July 7-9 <br>
Bailiwick Repertory Theatre is featuring my award-winning short A RUSTLE OF=
 WINGS (a woman has an transforming encounter with an angel in a lesbian=
 bar) in its 15th Annual Directors Festival, directed by Sara Rosen. 1229 W=
 Belmont Avenue, Chicago.  $10, 773-883-1090. Mon-Wed 7:30 pm  <a=
 href=3D"http://www.bailiwick.org/" eudora=3D"autourl"><font=
My short play HEART SMART -- a comic/dramatic encounter in a cardiac ward=
 between a 50ish wife and a 20ish mistress -- is a winner of the Ten by Ten=
 Festival at the Arts Centre of Carrboro.  300-G East Main Street,=
 Carrboro, North Carolina. <a=
 href=3D"http://www.artscenterlive.org/theater.html" eudora=3D"autourl"><fon=
t=
nt> <br><br>
- Cleveland, OH,  July 11-Aug. 10<br>
No, it's not a short play -- but I'm the composer of original music for the=
 Cleveland Shakespeare Festival production of TWELFTH NIGHT, directed by=
 Seth Gordon. The free production tours three Cleveland-area outdoor spaces,=
 from July 11-August 10, Thurs-Sun, 7 pm. <a=
 href=3D"http://www.cleveshakes.org/" eudora=3D"autourl"><font=
- Berkeley, CA,  Aug. 22-Sept. 27 <br>
ACME TEMPORARY SERVICES, a comic rant about an outrageous temp agency for=
 misfits & artists, is getting a replay by Impact Theatre, which=
 premiered it several years ago. It's since been published in <i>Even More=
 Monologues for Women by Women</i> (Heinemann). "Briefs VI: Shock and=
 Awe", a "Best of the Briefs" festival, runs for six weeks at=
 La Val's Subterranean Theatre (great pizza & beer) in Berkeley.=
 510-464-4468 <br><br>
- Fabulous news this spring: DISCORDIA, the new musical co-written by me and=
 collaborator James Levin, received a $5000 Individual Artist Fellowship=
 from the Ohio Arts Council. This is my 3rd OAC playwriting fellowship, and=
 the 2nd I've shared with James for our satirical political musicals.=
 DISCORDIA will premiere at Cleveland Public Theatre in Oct-Nov -- in a=
 large production directed by Raymond Bobgan, whose BLUE SKY TRANSMISSION: A=
 TIBETAN BOOK OF THE DEAD played last season at CPT and LaMaMa ETC in NYC.=
 More about this later. <br><br>
- In other "musical good news", our new George Sand/Sarah=
 Bernhardt musical BECOMING GEORGE -- music by me, lyrics/book by Chicago=
 writers Patti McKenny & Doug Frew -- will be featured in the Cleveland=
 Play House's NextStage Festival this fall. <br><br>
- My one-act MARLA'S DEVOTION had a delightful reading on May 27 in=
 Adelaide, Australia in the "Sundays at SAWT" series of the South=
 Australian Writers' Theatre. This popular series features free admission,=
 hot soup, crusty bread, and new plays. Before the performance, I had a=
 phone-link interview that was broadcast to the theatre audience, then=
 published in their newsletter APOLLO'S VOICE. <br><br>
I'm now the theatre columnist for <i>angle: a journal of arts + culture</i>,=
 href=3D"http://www.anglemagazine.org.=A0/" eudora=3D"autourl">. </a> My=
 June debut looks at convergence-continuum theatre and its production of Mac=
I'll be attending 3 theatre conferences this summer <br>
- Theatre Communications Group (TCG) in Milwaukee, WI, from June 11-14 -- as=
 the guest artist from the Cleveland Play House<br>
- Literary Managers & Dramaturgs of the Americas (LMDA) conference in=
 Chicago, June 26-29<br>
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE), NYC, July 31-Aug.=
 3<br>
Let me know if you're going, so we can try to hook up.<br><br>
As always, I'm happy to share scripts, synopses, sample pages, etc. -- PDF=
 by email, or print copies by post. <br><br>
Have a great summer,<br>
Linda Eisenstein<br>
--<br>
 plays at lindaeisenstein.com<br><br>