[NEohioPAL]Cain Park produces Area Premiere of BAT BOY

Ksenia ksenia at mail.clvhts.com
Tue Jul 8 18:06:40 PDT 2003

--MS_Mac_OE_3140509841_509310_MIME_Part

For immediate release:
July 8, 2003

CAIN PARK Presents Area Premiere
BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL
July 31 to August 17

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, OH -  Cain Park continues its 2003 musical theater seaso=
with the rock-pop and campy BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL, directed by Victoria
Bussert with musical direction by Leonard DiCosimo.  Winner of =B3Best
Off-Broadway Musical,=B2 Cain Park=B9s Area Premiere of BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL
leaves no style of music =AD pop, gospel, rock, country, rap, tango, show
tunes =AD safe from being skewed in a show written especially =B3for people who
hate musicals.=B2  Cain Park previews the musical on Thursday, July 31; opens
on August 1-3; runs August 6-10, 13-16 ; and closes August 17 with a
sign-interpreted/audio-described performance.  Showtime is at 7:30pm in the
Alma Theater.  Please be advised that BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL is recommended
for adults.

Tickets for BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL are $8.50 for the preview on July 31, $10
for opening weekend on August 1-3.  There are no additional discounts for
July 31 and August 1-3.  For August 6-10 and 13-17 tickets are $18 center
and $16 sides in advance, $20/18 day of show.  Cleveland Heights residents
presenting a Recreation ID and people presenting a Military ID receive a $3
discount.  Children=B9s tickets are 50% off when attending with a parent if
all attending family members hold Cleveland Heights Recreation IDs.  A $2
discount is available when presenting a senior citizen ID, a student ID, an=
a Friends of Cain Park membership card.

Inspired by sensationalist tabloid =B3reports=B2 in the Weekly World News about
a =B3Bat Child Found in Cave=B2 BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL is a campy, biting parody
in line with the cult classics The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Little Sho=
of Horrors. =20

Harboring a heartfelt message of tolerance and acceptance of those who are
different from us, BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL=B9s story and book were written by
Keythe Farley and Brian Flemming with music and lyrics by Laurence O=B9Keefe.
The musical follows the discovery of a half-boy/half-bat creature in a cave
near Hope Falls, West Virginia.  Bat Boy is then brought to the home of
veterinarian Dr. Parker, where he is eventually accepted as a member of the
family, and taught to act like a =B3normal=B2 boy by the veterinarian=B9s wife,
Meredith, and teenage daughter, Shelley.  Bat Boy grows to love his new lif=
but when he naively tries to fit in with the narrow-minded town folk of Hop=
Falls, they turn on him prodded by the scheming of Dr. Parker, who secretly
despises Bat Boy.  Shelley and Bat Boy, who have fallen in love, run away
together but their happiness is shattered when Meredith finds them and
reveals the shocking story of Bat Boy=B9s unholy origin.

The BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL cast features:  Gary Walker as Bat Boy, Adina R.
Bloom as Meredith Parker, Scott Plate as Dr. Thomas Parker, and Emily
Krieger as Shelley Parker.  Gary Walker was seen recently as Paul in A
Chorus Line at the Porthouse Theater in addition to both West Side Story an=
Avenue X at Cain Park last summer.  Adina R. Bloom has appeared locally at
the Halle Theater, the Ensemble Theater, the Cleveland Opera, and previousl=
at Cain Park.  Scott Plate is a veteran Cleveland actor who has previously
appeared at Cain Park in West Side Story, Violet, and The Sound of Music.
Emily Krieger is a junior Musical Theatre major at Baldwin-Wallace College
who appeared in Cain Park=B9s West Side Story last summer.

Other cast members include: Phil Carroll as Rick Taylor/Lorraine/Doctor/Mr.
Dillon, Patrick Janson as Sheriff Reynolds, Hannah Laird as Ruthie
Taylor/Ned, Mitch McCarrell as Bud/Daisy/Pan, Fabio Polanco as Mrs.
Taylor/Roy/Rev. Billy Hightower/ Institute Man, and Alana Simone Purvis as
Ron Taylor/Maggie.

Cain Park=B9s production of BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL is directed by Victoria
Bussert who returns to Cain Park, her summer artistic home, for her 17th
season.  Her past Cain Park productions have included Avenue X, Side Show,
Violet, Follies, Goblin Market, Music Man, Into the Woods, Company, and Onc=
on this Island.  Nationally, her work has been seen at the Manhattan Theatr=
Club, Portland Stage, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, Cincinnati Playhouse,
Cleveland Play House, Dallas Theatre Center, Pegasus Players, Anchorage
Opera, Skylight Opera, Pennsylvania Opera Theatre, and Cleveland Opera.  Sh=
is also a resident director for the Great Lakes Theater Festival and the
director of Musical Theatre for Baldwin-Wallace College.

Victoria Bussert is joined by: Leonard DiCosimo, music director; Janiece
Kelley-Kiteley, choreographer; Russ Borski, scenic designer; Diane Ferry
Williams, lighting designer; Terry Pieritz, costume designer; Stan Kozak,
sound designer; Corrie Purdum, stage manager (July 7-August 17); and Joanna
May Hunkins, assistant director.

Tickets for Cain Park events are available at the Cain Park Ticket Office,
by mail, in person, by phone 216.371.3000 or by FAX 216.371.6995 (please
include full name, address, phone number credit card number and signature).
All major credit cards are accepted.  Tickets are also available at all
Ticketmaster outlets, and Ticketmaster Charge-By-Phone 216.241.5555 or
330.945.9400 in Akron and online at www.ticketmaster.com.

BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL is made possible in part through promotional support b=
WKSU 89.7 FM, Dottie=B9s Dinner, Big Fun, and Heights Garden Center.  Cain
Park 2003 season sponsors are the Inter-Continental Hotel, Motorcars, Nexte=
Retail Stores, and the Ohio Arts Council.

Cain Park, a municipally owned and operated summer arts park and one of the
nation=B9s oldest landmark outdoor theaters, is produced by the City of
Cleveland Heights and is located on the south side of Superior Road between
Lee and South Taylor Roads.  Parking for all Cain Park productions is free
and located on the surrounding side streets.  For more information about
this concert and all Cain Park events please visit www.cainpark.com.

###
CONTACT: KSENIA ROSHCHAKOVSKY, Public Relations and Marketing, or NICOLE
MCGOVERN, Public Relations Assistant 216.371.3000 or e-mail
ksenia at clvhts.com.

--MS_Mac_OE_3140509841_509310_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Cain Park produces Area Premiere of BAT BOY</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT SIZE=3D"4"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">For immediate release:<BR>
July 8, 2003<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><H1>CAIN PARK Presents Area Premiere <BR>
</H1><FONT SIZE=3D"6"><B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL</I>  <BR>
</B></FONT><H1>July 31 to August 17<BR>
<BR>
</H1><FONT SIZE=3D"4">CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, OH -  Cain Park continues its 2=
003 musical theater season with the rock-pop and campy <B><I>BAT BOY: THE MU=
SICAL</I></B>, directed by Victoria Bussert with musical direction by Leonar=
d DiCosimo.  Winner of =B3Best Off-Broadway Musical,=B2 Cain Park=B9s Area Pr=
emiere of <B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL</I></B> leaves no style of music =AD pop,=
 gospel, rock, country, rap, tango, show tunes =AD safe from being skewed in a=
 show written especially =B3for people who hate musicals.=B2  Cain Park<B> =
</B>previews the musical on Thursday, July 31; opens on August 1-3; runs Aug=
ust 6-10, 13-16 ; and closes August 17 with a sign-interpreted/audio-describ=
ed performance.  Showtime is at 7:30pm in the Alma Theater.  Pleas=
e be advised that <B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL</I></B> is recommended for adul=
ts.<BR>
<BR>
Tickets for <B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL</I></B> are $8.50 for the preview on=
 July 31, $10 for opening weekend on August 1-3.  There are no addition=
al discounts for July 31 and August 1-3.  For August 6-10 and 13-17 tic=
kets are $18 center and $16 sides in advance, $20/18 day of show.  Clev=
eland Heights residents presenting a Recreation ID and people presenting a M=
ilitary ID receive a $3 discount.  Children=B9s tickets are 50% off when =
attending with a parent if all attending family members hold Cleveland Heigh=
ts Recreation IDs.  A $2 discount is available when presenting a senior=
 citizen ID, a student ID, and a Friends of Cain Park membership card. <BR>
<BR>
Inspired by sensationalist tabloid =B3reports=B2 in the <I>Weekly World News </=
I>about a =B3Bat Child Found in Cave=B2 <B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL </I></B>is a =
campy, biting parody in line with the cult classics <I>The Rocky Horror Pict=
ure Show</I> and <I>Little Shop of Horrors</I>.  <BR>
<BR>
Harboring a heartfelt message of tolerance and acceptance of those who are =
different from us, <B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL=B9s</I></B> story and book were =
written by Keythe Farley and Brian Flemming with music and lyrics by Laurenc=
e O=B9Keefe.  The musical<B><I> </I></B>follows the discovery of a half-b=
oy/half-bat creature in a cave near Hope Falls, West Virginia.  Bat Boy=
 is then brought to the home of veterinarian Dr. Parker, where he is eventua=
lly accepted as a member of the family, and taught to act like a =B3normal=B2 bo=
y by the veterinarian=B9s wife, Meredith, and teenage daughter, Shelley. &nbsp=
;Bat Boy grows to love his new life but when he naively tries to fit in with=
 the narrow-minded town folk of Hope Falls, they turn on him prodded by the =
scheming of Dr. Parker, who secretly despises Bat Boy.  Shelley and Bat=
 Boy, who have fallen in love, run away together but their happiness is shat=
tered when Meredith finds them and reveals the shocking story of Bat Boy=B9s u=
nholy origin.  <BR>
<BR>
The <B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL </I></B>cast features:  Gary Walker as =
Bat Boy, Adina R. Bloom as Meredith Parker, Scott Plate as Dr. Thomas Parker=
, and Emily Krieger as Shelley Parker.  Gary Walker was seen recently a=
s Paul in <I>A Chorus Line</I> at the Porthouse Theater in addition to both =
<I>West Side Story</I> and <I>Avenue X</I> at Cain Park last summer.  A=
dina R. Bloom has appeared locally at the Halle Theater, the Ensemble Theate=
r, the Cleveland Opera, and previously at Cain Park.  Scott Plate is a =
veteran Cleveland actor who has previously appeared at Cain Park in <I>West =
Side Story</I>, <I>Violet</I>, and <I>The</I> <I>Sound of Music</I>.  E=
mily Krieger is a junior Musical Theatre major at Baldwin-Wallace College wh=
o appeared in Cain Park=B9s <I>West Side Story</I> last summer.<BR>
<BR>
Other cast members include: Phil Carroll as Rick Taylor/Lorraine/Doctor/Mr.=
 Dillon, Patrick Janson as Sheriff Reynolds, Hannah Laird as Ruthie Taylor/N=
ed, Mitch McCarrell as Bud/Daisy/Pan, Fabio Polanco as Mrs. Taylor/Roy/Rev. =
Billy Hightower/ Institute Man, and Alana Simone Purvis as Ron Taylor/Maggie=
.<BR>
<BR>
Cain Park=B9s production of <B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL </I></B>is directed by=
 Victoria Bussert who returns to Cain Park, her summer artistic home, for he=
r 17th season.  Her past Cain Park productions have included <I>Avenue =
X</I>, <I>Side Show</I>, <I>Violet</I>, <I>Follies</I>, <I>Goblin Market</I>=
, <I>Music Man</I>, <I>Into the Woods</I>, <I>Company</I>, and <I>Once on th=
is Island</I>.  Nationally, her work has been seen at the Manhattan The=
atre Club, Portland Stage, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, Cincinnati Playho=
use, Cleveland Play House, Dallas Theatre Center, Pegasus Players, Anchorage=
 Opera, Skylight Opera, Pennsylvania Opera Theatre, and Cleveland Opera. &nb=
sp;She is also a resident director for the Great Lakes Theater Festival and =
the director of Musical Theatre for Baldwin-Wallace College.<BR>
<BR>
Victoria Bussert is joined by: Leonard DiCosimo,<B> </B>music director; Jan=
iece Kelley-Kiteley, choreographer; Russ Borski, scenic designer; Diane Ferr=
y Williams, lighting designer; Terry Pieritz, costume designer; Stan Kozak, =
sound designer; Corrie Purdum, stage manager (July 7-August 17); and Joanna =
May Hunkins, assistant director.<BR>
<BR>
Tickets for Cain Park events are available at the Cain Park Ticket Office, =
by mail, in person, by phone 216.371.3000 or by FAX 216.371.6995 (please inc=
lude full name, address, phone number credit card number and signature). &nb=
sp;All major credit cards are accepted.  Tickets are also available at =
all Ticketmaster outlets, and Ticketmaster Charge-By-Phone 216.241.5555 or 3=
30.945.9400 in Akron and online at www.ticketmaster.com.<BR>
<BR>
<B><I>BAT BOY: THE MUSICAL </I></B>is made possible in part through promoti=
onal support by WKSU 89.7 FM, Dottie=B9s Dinner, Big Fun, and Heights Garden C=
enter.  Cain Park 2003 season sponsors are the Inter-Continental Hotel,=
 Motorcars, Nextel Retail Stores, and the Ohio Arts Council.<BR>
<BR>
Cain Park, a municipally owned and operated summer arts park and one of the=
 nation=B9s oldest landmark outdoor theaters, is produced by the City of Cleve=
land Heights and is located on the south side of Superior Road between Lee a=
nd South Taylor Roads.  Parking for all Cain Park productions is free a=
nd located on the surrounding side streets.  For more information about=
 this concert and all Cain Park events please visit www.cainpark.com.<BR>
<BR>
###<BR>
CONTACT: KSENIA ROSHCHAKOVSKY, Public Relations and Marketing, or NICOLE MC=
GOVERN, Public Relations Assistant 216.371.3000 or e-mail ksenia at clvhts.com.=
<BR>
</FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3140509841_509310_MIME_Part--