[NEohioPAL]West Side Story/Star Beacon *****review

Scream2996 at aol.com Scream2996 at aol.com
Mon Jul 21 14:59:36 PDT 2003

--part1_1e.15dc60c0.2c4d6617_boundary

'West Side Story' at the Straw Hat Theatre

Star Beacon
By ROGER SMITH

Brush up your Shakespeare =E2=80=94 namely Romeo and Juliet =E2=80=94 if you=
're going to see=20
Straw Hat Theatre's production of "West Side Story." As most folks know,=20
"West Side Story" is a modern telling of the story of star cross'd lovers in=
=20
Shakespeare's day.=20

It has been my experience to find that productions of "West Side Story" in=20
community theaters are either very bad or very good =E2=80=94 no in between.=
 This show=20
on the grounds of the Ashtabula Arts Center falls into the latter category,=20
with the choreography leading the way for rousing rounds of applause.

A disciplined chorus and troupe of dancers is required for a show of such=20
magnitude, and "West Side Story" boasts a well-rehearsed group of young peop=
le.=20
The execution of Meryl Murman's choreography is excellent, displaying what a=
=20
talent Ms. Murman has for creativity.=20

There are so very many talented young people in this musical drama. Usually,=
=20
I know most of the players in the local productions. However, I had to pull=20
aside a director and ask some names because there is a brand new crop of tal=
ent=20
on the stage in this show.=20

Though all of the actors were good, some had the opportunity to be in the=20
limelight of the evening. Those that particularly impressed me were Justin N=
igro,=20
Anneli Curnock, Jamie Langton, Marc Hudson, Anna Maria Kovats, Jarrod=20
Sickles, Neil Meloro and Nick Meloro. As Jets or Sharks or their girlfriends=
, these=20
young people were the nuts and bolts of the show, laying the foundation for=20
others to do their jobs well, too. Caitlin Dubsky (Maria) and Jacob Lowe (To=
ny)=20
played and sang their respective roles with expertise and class, remaining=20
strong and steady throughout the entire 2 and one-half hour production. Stan=
ding=20
right beside them and giving their delightful bests were Kimberly L. Godfrey=
=20
(Anita) and Phillip Werman (Bernardo).=20
Outstanding in their dance duet as Pepe and Marguerita, Randy Prill and Cara=
=20
Seymour gave a truly professional performance.=20

The show is well worth seeing. Most of the audience will remember most of th=
e=20
music, but you're asked to hum along quietly, please. "West Side Story"=20
continues each night this weekend and Thursday, Friday and Saturday of next=20
weekend. Curtain time is 8:00 p.m.=20

Tickets may be reserved by phoning the Arts Center box office at 440-964-339=
6.

--part1_1e.15dc60c0.2c4d6617_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">'</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-C=
OLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D4 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><B>We=
st Side Story' at the Straw Hat Theatre
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Star Beacon</FONT><FONT  COL=
OR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSE=
RIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"></B><BR>
By ROGER SMITH
<BR>
<BR>
Brush up your Shakespeare =E2=80=94 namely Romeo and Juliet =E2=80=94 if you=
're going to see Straw Hat Theatre's production of "West Side Story." As mos=
t folks know, "West Side Story" is a modern telling of the story of star cro=
ss'd lovers in Shakespeare's day.=20
<BR>
<BR>
It has been my experience to find that productions of "West Side Story" in c=
ommunity theaters are either very bad or very good =E2=80=94 no in between.=20=
This show on the grounds of the Ashtabula Arts Center falls into the latter=20=
category, with the choreography leading the way for rousing rounds of applau=
se.

<BR>
<BR>
A disciplined chorus and troupe of dancers is required for a show of such ma=
gnitude, and "West Side Story" boasts a well-rehearsed group of young people=
. The execution of Meryl Murman's choreography is excellent, displaying what=
 a talent Ms. Murman has for creativity.=20
<BR>
<BR>
There are so very many talented young people in this musical drama. Usually,=
 I know most of the players in the local productions. However, I had to pull=
 aside a director and ask some names because there is a brand new crop of ta=
lent on the stage in this show.=20

Though all of the actors were good, some had the opportunity to be in the li=
melight of the evening. Those that particularly impressed me were Justin Nig=
ro, Anneli Curnock, Jamie Langton, Marc Hudson, Anna Maria Kovats, Jarrod Si=
ckles, Neil Meloro and Nick Meloro. As Jets or Sharks or their girlfriends,=20=
these young people were the nuts and bolts of the show, laying the foundatio=
n for others to do their jobs well, too. Caitlin Dubsky (Maria) and Jacob Lo=
we (Tony) played and sang their respective roles with expertise and class, r=
emaining strong and steady throughout the entire 2 and one-half hour product=
ion. Standing right beside them and giving their delightful bests were Kimbe=
rly L. Godfrey (Anita) and Phillip Werman (Bernardo). <BR>
Outstanding in their dance duet as Pepe and Marguerita, Randy Prill and Cara=
 Seymour gave a truly professional performance. <BR>
<BR>
The show is well worth seeing. Most of the audience will remember most of th=
e music, but you're asked to hum along quietly, please. "West Side Story" co=
ntinues each night this weekend and Thursday, Friday and Saturday of next we=
ekend. Curtain time is 8:00 p.m.=20

Tickets may be reserved by phoning the Arts Center box office at 440-964-339=
6.
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>