[NEohioPAL]CTC on advocacy

Rebecca Borger rborger at flamingmailbox.com
Sun Jul 27 21:55:18 PDT 2003

--Apple-Mail-2--552623533

I'm not really sure why you are asking the entire arts community to=20
vote for the convention center.  The political side of this issue is to=20=

tack on as many things as they can to their proposal so they can get=20
more support.  They say that money for the arts will come along side=20
the new convention center being passed, but that is not set at all yet.=20=

  And...even if they make a link with the arts community, they may not=20=

follow through.  What a lot of members of our community don't know is=20
that there were other convention center proposals out there.  There=20
were several developed by independent contractors that would not have=20
cost the city a dime, but our leaders have chosen the most expensive=20
one to be on the ballot.  Meanwhile, we have an education crisis in the=20=

city of Cleveland.  Where do we as artists put our support.  I,=20
personally would like to see our leaders and community address=20
education issues first.  People visiting our city will not see much of=20=

Cleveland if they build the new convention center by Tower City. =20
Shops, restaurants, everything is there, so they will stay there. =20
Think twice before voting for the new convention center and look at all=20=

of the facts
On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 01:28 AM, MargLynch at aol.com wrote:

> As most of you know, Community Partnership for Arts and Culture has=20
> been leading intensive lobbying to get public funding for arts and=20
> culture on the November ballot. =A0The various political powers that =
be=20
> have always said that public funding for arts and culture will not=20
> make it on the ballot on its own; it will have to be part of a larger=20=

> economic development package. =A0The slated package includes a=20
> convention centerm, which of course has generated a great deal of=20
> controversy and the whole proposition is currently in danger of=20
> foundering. =A0Right now, it's important to show the varioius =
political=20
> entities that the arts community has some muscle and can act as a=20
> block, so that funding for the arts won't get lost amidst politics as=20=

> usual. =A0Newsnet5 is conducting a poll about the convention center.=20=

> CPAC is asking that the arts community click on newsnet5 , vote=20
> positively in the poll, then inform cpac at cpac2001 at aol.com that=20
> you've done so. If CPAC can demonstrate that the arts community can=20
> move the poll significantly, the arts may be able to leverage a=20
> stronger voice at the negotiating table. =A0If you feel you can do =
this,=20
> please do so immediately. =A0Write to your public officials expressing=20=

> support for public funding for the arts. =A0Visit=20
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0www.SupportArtsandCulture.org to find out addresses, =
etc. =A0Thank=20
> you, the Cleveland Theater Collective

--Apple-Mail-2--552623533

I'm not really sure why you are asking the entire arts community to
vote for the convention center.  The political side of this issue is
to tack on as many things as they can to their proposal so they can
get more support.  They say that money for the arts will come along
side the new convention center being passed, but that is not set at
all yet.  And...even if they make a link with the arts community, they
may not follow through.  What a lot of members of our community don't
know is that there were other convention center proposals out there.=20
There were several developed by independent contractors that would not
have cost the city a dime, but our leaders have chosen the most
expensive one to be on the ballot.  Meanwhile, we have an education
crisis in the city of Cleveland.  Where do we as artists put our
support.  I, personally would like to see our leaders and community
address education issues first.  People visiting our city will not see
much of Cleveland if they build the new convention center by Tower
City.  Shops, restaurants, everything is there, so they will stay
there.  Think twice before voting for the new convention center and
look at all of the facts