[NEohioPAL]Arts Classes at Forest Lodge In Akron

Suzanne Graham thebardsquad at msn.com
Wed Oct 15 03:26:04 PDT 2003

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C392E5.362A1700

 Some classes begin Oct 26.  Class size is limited so register right away=
!
AWAKEN!
As the changing leaves usher in a season of sleep, the Akron Recreation B=
ureau offers a new awakening to the community.  This fall, the City of Ak=
ron is revealing a new direction for Forest Lodge Community Center.  The =
Center, now known as the Forest Lodge Community Art Center offers a varie=
ty of programming to bring the fine arts to our community.
In our first session of classes, we are offering programming in theatre a=
nd performance, movement, creative writing, and acting for non-actors.  w=
e are also featuring a chat space designated for young adults and a multi=
-generational drumming circle. Classes are intended for a variety of ages=
 from youth to older adults.   =20
Classes are taught in a relaxed and accessible atmosphere, inviting stude=
nts to learn and grow in programming designed to accommodate experience l=
evels from beginner to advanced.  Through our commitment to offering oppo=
rtunity to both the artist and the student, the Center offers high qualit=
y programming at a reasonable cost, With instructors whose qualifications=
 include Artistic Directors, Screenwriters, Award winning playwrights, Br=
oadway choreographers and professional actors, we strive to make accessib=
le a diverse source of education in your own backyard.  =20
 =20
Watch for our spotlight to shine on the visual arts in our next session b=
eginning January 4.
Classes begin as early as October 27, so call or mail in your registratio=
n right away to register.  Class sizes are limited so register immediatel=
y!
 =20
Awaken your mind, awaken your spirit, and awaken your creativity!
 =20
Introduction to Acting-Adult/OlderAdult
Instructor: Adam Hoffman
Fee- $56
Nov 5- Dec 10
Tuesdays 10:30-12
Adult/Older Adult
This class teaches up-and-coming thespians the fundamental tools of actin=
g. The students will learn, through games and exercises, how to tap into =
the three major elements of acting: the voice, the body, and the imaginat=
ion. This class is useful for adults and older adults who have always wan=
ted to "try out" the boards. Students will learn to comfortable on the st=
age, to be able to make strong, committed acting choices, to vocally proj=
ect, and to learn basic acting technique.
 =20
Introduction to Improvisation for Homeschoolers
Instructor: Adam Hoffman
Fee $56
Nov 5- Dec 10
Wednesdays 10:30-12
Youth Ages 10-16
Students will learn the rules and nature of improvisational acting. Throu=
gh games, scenes, and exercises, the class will discover the joys of taki=
ng risks in acting, trusting theatrical instinct, and to create drama or =
comedy spontaneously. This class is movement based. Students will learn t=
he fundamental rules of improv ( no questions, stay in the present, etc) =
and will be taught skills that will allow them to approach "regular" acti=
ng in a more energetic and exciting way. A major goal is to allow the stu=
dents to become comfortable on stage without the support of a script.
 =20
Beginning Acting- Ingenue Theatre
Instructor: John Moore/ Whitney Newberry
Fee $25
Nov 8-Dec 13
Saturdays 11-12:30 p.m.
Youth Ages 8-12
An excellent class for young people who want to see what acting is all ab=
out in a relaxing, non-intimidating environment.  This introductory six-w=
eek class will guide students through the development of physical, vocal,=
 and mental exercises for the stage. Emphasizing preparation and improvis=
ation, this class is appropriate for beginners or more advanced students =
who wish to brush up on their acting skills.  =20
A presentation for families will be held during the final session of the =
class.  Come discover your inner star in this fun and energizing class!
 =20
Act Teen Technique
Instructor: Bil Pfuderer
Fee  $70
Nov 1-Dec 13
Saturdays 9-11 a.m.
Teens 16-19
A course especially designed to give talented teens (16-19) advanced expe=
rience and coaching in solo and group scene study.  Preparation will bene=
fit students with pieces developed for contests, auditions, and college e=
ntrance competition.  The course will cover elements of preparation, conf=
idence, poise, and presentation.
 =20
Acting for Non- Actors
Instructor: Bil Pfuderer
Fee  $75
Nov 1-Dec 13
Saturdays 1-3 p.m.
Adult/ Older Adult
A course designed for anyone who must appear before an audience.  It will=
 help develop confidence and poise, effective speaking skills, and give p=
ointers on how to conquer jittery nerves.  The skills gained in this cour=
se can be carried over into everyday living whether a teacher, a CEO, sal=
esperson, PTA President, or housewife.  In our lives we are all actors pl=
aying a variety of roles and our success can be based on how well we can =
convincingly and effectively convey our ideas to others.  The course will=
 deal with effective speech organization, speaking poise, diction, non-ve=
rbal communication, and in dealing effectively with public situations.
 =20
Dance and Movement Creativity for Performers
Instructor: Christine Martin
Fee- $55
Oct 27-Dec 8
Mondays 6:30-7:30 p.m.
15- Adult
Actors and singers!  Here is your chance to hone your marketable skills a=
nd prepare yourself better for choreography and stage movement.  The clas=
s will employ basic jazz technique and movement improvisations to help st=
udents improve their coordination, flexibility, core strength, and dance =
technique.  In addition, students will be able to build on often overlook=
ed areas such as breath support and control, warming up, use of visual im=
agery, rhythm, spatial awareness, and physical confidence that will give =
them the edge in auditions and performances.  This class is designed for =
less-experienced (or experience-less) performers who want to dance!  Part=
icipants will want to bring a workout mat or towel for floor work and wea=
r comfortable, easy-moving clothing.  Ballet slippers or jazz shoes sugge=
sted but not required.
 =20
Drumming Circle
Coordinator:  Michele McNeal
Fee- Refreshment Donation
Introductory (interest gauging) workshop on Friday, November 14; 6:30-7:3=
0 p.m.
Multigenerational
 =20
Hear the beat.   Feel the rhythm.  Slip into the groove and join us for a=
 drumming circle.  All levels of musical experience are welcome and wante=
d.  Please bring your own drums, rattles, shakers, or other instruments.
 =20
=E2=80=9CA drumming circle is a group of people creating and sharing a rh=
ythmical and a musical experience. The instruments used are usually percu=
ssion instruments divided into four timbres; drums, metal, wood and shake=
rs. The circle format is used to optimize listening and communicating and=
 to emphasize the equality of the participants.=E2=80=9D =20
 =20
The goal of the introductory circle is the experience of musical cooperat=
ion and expression, as well as identifying the level of interest in conti=
nued programs.  Future programs might focus on particular styles or rhyth=
ms, on playing particular types of instruments, on the construction of si=
mple instruments from household items, or other topics depending on the i=
nterests of the participants.
 =20
 =20
The Hero=E2=80=99s Journey: Mythic Structure in Story
Instructor: Michael Dempsey
Fee $80
Mondays Nov 3 - Dec 8
7-8:30 p.m.
Ages 14-Adult
Pssst! We'll tell you a secret. Great stories are no accident.
Would you believe the The Matrix, the legend of the Buddha, the tales of =
King Arthur, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, and even The Simpsons all share t=
he same universal story elements?
It's true. What's more, those very same elements helped George Lucas turn=
 Star Wars from a muddled mass of ideas into one of the biggest block=C2=AD=
busters of all time. They're what cause The Wizard of Oz to keep winning =
the hearts of readers, generation after generation. =20
What are we talking about? It=E2=80=99s the shape of the Hero=E2=80=99s J=
ourney...the voyage from the Ordinary world to the Special World, to the =
Abyss, and back again. Drawn from Joseph Campbell=E2=80=99s classic studi=
es of world mythology and Christopher Vogler's adaptations for writers, t=
his archetypal structure is more than good fiction--it's the pattern of l=
ife, growth and experience...something we live ourselves, something that =
binds us together, and something we instinctively recognize in good story=
telling. =20
Let playwright and screenwriter Michael Dempsey guide you step-by-step th=
rough each stage of the journey and help you apply this rich tapestry to =
your artistic projects, infusing them with direction and purpose. =20
Whether you're an actor looking to better analyze characters, a writer in=
terested in creating more compelling plays, novels and screenplays, a stu=
dent interested in religion or myth, or someone who simply wants a framew=
ork against which to view their lives, The Hero's Journey class will give=
 you concrete tools to analyze what you read, watch and write=E2=80=94and=
 how you live.
 =20
Writing What You Know
Instructor: Nicole Hirsh
Fee- $50
Tuesdays  Oct 28- Dec 9
6-7:30 p.m.
Adult
This workshop is for adult students who wish to explore the creative poss=
ibilities of non-fiction and memoir writing.  The starting point for this=
 workshop will be the old adage: write what you know.  We will work on tu=
rning our life experiences into great stories for ourselves, our families=
 and friends, and possibly, for publication=E2=80=94after all, writing is=
  about sharing.  Emphasis will be placed on getting started, finding one=
's authentic voice, and turning ideas into narratives. Short readings and=
 writing assignment will be given weekly to help facilitate and stimulate=
 the imagination, and student work will be shared and discussed in class.=
 =20
 =20
Students will receive the instructor=E2=80=99s feedback on their pieces t=
hroughout the session.  Before the final session, each student will selec=
t one of their previous assignments to develop in full, so that by the en=
d of the session, everyone will have at least one story that they can con=
sider polished and finished.
 =20
Performance Writing: New Script Development
Instructor: Joanne Frances Durante
Fee  $100
Fridays Oct 31- Dec 12
6-8 p.m.
Youth Ages 12-16
Learn how to develop a script for performance =E2=80=94 a play, a book fo=
r a musical, a screenplay, song lyrics, or even a comic monologue. The Pe=
rformance Writing/New Script Development program is offered year-round in=
 weekly 2-hour sessions segmented into 8-week cycles. Each cycle culminat=
es with a script-in-hand dramatic reading before an invited audience. Ses=
sions are limited to ten students and may be repeated as often as desired=
, as writers continue to develop their works towards the ultimate goal of=
 production. =20
 =20
Classes incorporate improvisation, script analysis, dramatic reading, and=
 discussion. Students will learn to:
=C2=B7         Understand and appreciate the various forms of performance=
 writing
=C2=B7         Respect the collaborative process, with a special emphasis=
 on the writer's relationships with the director, performers, and audienc=
Create their own work for performance
 =20
 =20
 =20
To register for a class at Forest Lodge Community Arts Center, complete a=
 registration form (below) and mail to :
Forest Lodge Community Arts Center
260 Greenwood Ave
Akron, Ohio 44313
or drop it into the mail slot at that same address.  For additional regis=
tration forms, stop by Forest Lodge Community Arts Center and pick up an =
extra form (additional after hours registration forms are available on th=
e door).  Please submit one registration form per student. Make check or =
money order payable to the instructor=E2=80=98s name.  Do not enclose cas=
h.  Classes begin as early as October 27.  Class sizes are limited, so re=
gister right away! =20
 =20
You may reserve a spot in a class by calling 330-375-2813.  Registrations=
 will be confirmed on a first come first served basis in the order of pay=
ments received.
 =20
Questions?  Call 330-375-2813 or email at grahasu at ci.akron.oh.us
 =20
Forest Lodge Community Arts Center-Registration
Please complete and submit this form with payment of check or money order=
 made payable to the class instructor (in parentheses).  Do not enclose c=
ash!
 =20
NAME (of Student)__________________________________________________
 =20
PARENT NAME (if applicable)_________________________________________
 =20
ADDRESS_________________________________________________________
 =20
CITY/STATE_______________________________ ZIP CODE_______________
 =20
PHONE NUMBER___________________________________________________
 =20
ALTERNATE PHONE NUMBER________________________________________
 =20
PLEASE MARK AN X BY THE CLASSES FOR WHICH YOU ARE REGISTERING:
INTRODUCTION TO IMPROVISATION (Adam Hoffman) $56
INTRODUCTION TO ACTING (Adam Hoffman) $56
BEGINNING ACTING (Ing=C3=A9nue Theatre) $25
ACT TEEN TECHNIQUE (Bil Pfuderer) $70
ACTING FOR NON ACTORS (Bil Pfuderer) $75
DANCE AND MOVEMENT CREATIVITY FOR PERFORMERS (Christine Martin) $55
THE HERO=E2=80=99S JOURNEY: MYTHIC STRUCTURE IN STORY (Michael Dempsey) $=
80
WRITING WHAT YOU KNOW (Nicole Hirsh) $50
PERFORMANCE WRITING: NEW SCRIPT DEVELOPMENT (Joanne Frances Durante) $100
 =20
 =20
Persons with disabilities needing assistance are asked to contact Richard=
 Johnson, Office of the ADA Coordinator, 166 South High Street, Akron, Oh=
io 44308.  (330) 375-, (voice), (330) 375-2345 (TDD) at least seven (7) d=
ays in advance.  Printed on recycled paper.  =20
Visit our website at www.recreation at ci.akron.oh.us

Suzie

What a fine persecution- to be kept intrigued without ever quite being en=
lightened.
~Tom StoppardGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://=
explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C392E5.362A1700

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV> Some cla=
sses begin Oct 26.  Class size is limited so register right away! <P=
 class=3DMsoBodyText><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Eurosti=
le">AWAKEN!<?xml:namespace prefix =3D o ns =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com=
:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoBodyText><SPAN sty=
le=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Eurostile">As the changing leaves ush=
er in a season of sleep, the Akron Recreation Bureau offers a new awakeni=
ng to the community.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>This =
fall, the City of Akron is revealing a new direction for Forest Lodge Com=
munity Center.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The Center,=
 now known as the Forest Lodge Community Art Center offers a variety of p=
rogramming to bring the fine arts to our community.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>=
 <P class=3DMsoBodyText><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt; FONT-FAMILY: Euro=
stile">In our first session of classes, we are offering programming in th=
eatre and performance, movement, creative writing, and acting for non-act=
ors.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>we are also featuring=
 a chat space designated for young adults and a multi-generational drummi=
ng circle. Classes are intended for a variety of ages from youth to older=
 adults.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">   </SPAN><o:p></o:p>=
</SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Classes =
are taught in a relaxed and accessible atmosphere, inviting students to l=
earn and grow in programming designed to accommodate experience levels fr=
om beginner to advanced.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>T=
hrough our commitment to offering opportunity to both the artist and the =
student, the Center offers high quality programming at a reasonable cost,=
 With instructors whose qualifications include Artistic Directors, Screen=
writers, Award winning playwrights, Broadway choreographers and professio=
nal actors, we strive to make accessible a diverse source of education in=
 your own backyard.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN><o:p><=
/o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">&nb=
sp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
11pt">Watch for our spotlight to shine on the visual arts in our next ses=
sion beginning January 4.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPA=
N style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Classes begin as early as October 27, so call=
 or mail in your registration right away to register.<SPAN style=3D"mso-s=
pacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Class sizes are limited so register immediate=
ly!<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
11pt"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALI=
GN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Awaken your mi=
nd, awaken your spirit, and awaken your creativity!<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>=
 <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN s=
tyle=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNorma=
l><B>Introduction to Acting-Adult/OlderAdult<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3D=
MsoNormal><B>Instructor: Adam Hoffman<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNo=
rmal><B>Fee- $56<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Nov 5- Dec 10=
<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Tuesdays 10:30-12<o:p></o:p><=
/B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Adult/Older Adult<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P c=
lass=3DMsoBodyText2>This class teaches up-and-coming thespians the fundam=
ental tools of acting. The students will learn, through games and exercis=
es, how to tap into the three major elements of acting: the voice, the bo=
dy, and the imagination. This class is useful for adults and older adults=
 who have always wanted to "try out" the boards. Students will learn to c=
omfortable on the stage, to be able to make strong, committed acting choi=
ces, to vocally project, and to learn basic acting technique.</P> <P clas=
s=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P=
> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Introduction to Improvisation for Homeschoolers=
<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Instructor: Adam Hoffman</B><=
/P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><STRONG>Fee $56</STRONG></P> <P class=3DMsoNorma=
l><B>Nov 5- Dec 10<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Wednesdays =
10:30-12<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Youth Ages 10-16<o:p>=
</o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-=
FAMILY: 'Arial Narrow'">Students will learn the rules and nature of impro=
visational acting. Through games, scenes, and exercises, the class will d=
iscover the joys of taking risks in acting, trusting theatrical instinct,=
 and to create drama or comedy spontaneously. This class is movement base=
d. Students will learn the fundamental rules of improv ( no questions, st=
ay in the present, etc) and will be taught skills that will allow them to=
 approach "regular" acting in a more energetic and exciting way. A major =
goal is to allow the students to become comfortable on stage without the =
support of a script.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN sty=
le=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Narrow'"> <o:p></o:p></SP=
AN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Beginning Acting- Ingenue Theatre<o:p></o=
:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Instructor: John Moore/ Whitney Newbe=
rry</B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><STRONG>Fee $25</STRONG></P> <P class=3D=
MsoNormal><B>Nov 8-Dec 13<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Satu=
rdays 11-12:30 p.m.<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Youth Ages=
 8-12<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 1=
0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Narrow'">An excellent class for young people who=
 want to see what acting is all about in a relaxing, non-intimidating env=
ironment.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>This introductor=
y six-week class will guide students through the development of physical,=
 vocal, and mental exercises for the stage. Emphasizing preparation and i=
mprovisation, this class is appropriate for beginners or more advanced st=
udents who wish to brush up on their acting skills.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spa=
cerun: yes">  </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SP=
AN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Narrow'">A presentation =
for families will be held during the final session of the class.<SPAN sty=
le=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Come discover your inner star in t=
his fun and energizing class!<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal>=
<SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Narrow'"> <o:p><=
/o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Act Teen Technique<o:p></o:p></B=
></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Instructor: Bil Pfuderer</B></P> <P class=3D=
MsoNormal><STRONG>Fee  $70</STRONG></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Nov =
1-Dec 13<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Saturdays 9-11 a.m.<o=
:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Teens 16-19<o:p></o:p></B></P> =
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial =
Narrow'">A course especially designed to give talented teens (16-19) adva=
nced experience and coaching in solo and group scene study.<SPAN style=3D=
"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Preparation will benefit students with =
pieces developed for contests, auditions, and college entrance competitio=
n.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The course will cover e=
lements of preparation, confidence, poise, and presentation.<o:p></o:p></=
SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMIL=
Y: 'Arial Narrow'"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>A=
cting for Non- Actors<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Instruct=
or: Bil Pfuderer</B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><STRONG>Fee  $75</STRO=
NG></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Nov 1-Dec 13<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3D=
MsoNormal><B>Saturdays 1-3 p.m.<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><=
B>Adult/ Older Adult<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D=
"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Narrow'">A course designed for anyo=
ne who must appear before an audience.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&=
nbsp; </SPAN>It will help develop confidence and poise, effective speakin=
g skills, and give pointers on how to conquer jittery nerves.<SPAN style=3D=
"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The skills gained in this course can be=
 carried over into everyday living whether a teacher, a CEO, salesperson,=
 PTA President, or housewife.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </S=
PAN>In our lives we are all actors playing a variety of roles and our suc=
cess can be based on how well we can convincingly and effectively convey =
our ideas to others.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The c=
ourse will deal with effective speech organization, speaking poise, dicti=
on, non-verbal communication, and in dealing effectively with public situ=
ations.</SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P c=
lass=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN style=3D=
"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Da=
nce and Movement Creativity for Performers<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3D=
MsoNormal><B>Instructor: Christine Martin<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DM=
soNormal><B>Fee- $55<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Oct 27-De=
c 8<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Mondays 6:30-7:30 p.m.<o:p=
></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>15- Adult<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P c=
lass=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Acto=
rs and singers!<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Here is yo=
ur chance to hone your marketable skills and prepare yourself better for =
choreography and stage movement.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  =
</SPAN>The class will employ basic jazz technique and movement improvisat=
ions to help students improve their coordination, flexibility, core stren=
gth, and dance technique.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>=
In addition, students will be able to build on often overlooked areas suc=
h as breath support and control, warming up, use of visual imagery, rhyth=
m, spatial awareness, and physical confidence that will give them the edg=
e in auditions and performances.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  =
</SPAN>This class is designed for less-experienced (or experience-less) p=
erformers who <B>want to dance!</B><SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbs=
p; </SPAN>Participants will want to bring a workout mat or towel for floo=
r work and wear comfortable, easy-moving clothing.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spac=
erun: yes">  </SPAN>Ballet slippers or jazz shoes suggested but not =
required.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-=
SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DM=
soNormal><B>Drumming Circle<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Co=
ordinator:<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Michele McNeal<=
o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Fee- Refreshment Donation<o:p>=
</o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Introductory (interest gauging) wo=
rkshop on Friday, November 14; 6:30-7:30 p.m.<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=
=3DMsoNormal><B>Multigenerational<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal=
><B> <o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoBodyText2><SPAN style=3D"FONT=
-FAMILY: Arial">Hear the beat.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes"> &nb=
sp; </SPAN>Feel the rhythm.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPA=
N>Slip into the groove and join us for a drumming circle.<SPAN style=3D"m=
so-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>All levels of musical experience are welc=
ome and wanted.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Please bri=
ng your own drums, rattles, shakers, or other instruments.<o:p></o:p></SP=
AN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:=
 Arial"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"=
FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">=E2=80=9CA drumming circle is a grou=
p of people creating and sharing a rhythmical and a musical experience. T=
he instruments used are usually percussion instruments divided into four =
timbres; drums, metal, wood and shakers. The circle format is used to opt=
imize listening and communicating and to emphasize the equality of the pa=
rticipants.=E2=80=9D <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN st=
yle=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> =
<P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">=
The goal of the introductory circle is the experience of musical cooperat=
ion and expression, as well as identifying the level of interest in conti=
nued programs.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Future prog=
rams might focus on particular styles or rhythms, on playing particular t=
ypes of instruments, on the construction of simple instruments from house=
hold items, or other topics depending on the interests of the participant=
s.</SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3D=
MsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN style=3D"FONT=
-SIZE: 10pt"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"T=
EXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> <=
o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>The Hero=E2=80=99s Journey:=
 Mythic Structure in Story<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Ins=
tructor: Michael Dempsey</B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><STRONG>Fee $80</ST=
RONG></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Mondays Nov 3 - Dec 8<o:p></o:p></B></P=
> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>7-8:30 p.m.<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNo=
rmal><B>Ages 14-Adult<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=
=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Pssst! We'll tell you a secret. =
Great stories are no accident.</SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p=
></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; F=
ONT-FAMILY: Arial">Would you believe the <U>The Matrix,</U> the legend of=
 the Buddha, the tales of King Arthur, <U>Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman,</U> =
and even <U>The Simpsons</U> all share the same universal story elements?=
</SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3D=
MsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">It's true. =
What's more, those very same elements helped George Lucas turn <U>Star Wa=
rs</U> from a muddled mass of ideas into one of the biggest block­bus=
ters of all time. They're what cause <U>The Wizard of Oz</U> to keep winn=
ing the hearts of readers, generation after generation. </SPAN><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN s=
tyle=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">What are we talking about? I=
t=E2=80=99s the shape of the Hero=E2=80=99s Journey...the voyage from the=
 Ordinary world to the Special World, to the Abyss, and back again. Drawn=
 from Joseph Campbell=E2=80=99s classic studies of world mythology and Ch=
ristopher Vogler's adaptations for writers, this archetypal structure is =
more than good fiction--it's the pattern of life, growth and experience..=
.something we live ourselves, something that binds us together, and somet=
hing we instinctively recognize in good storytelling. </SPAN><SPAN style=3D=
"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=
=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Let playwright and screenwriter =
Michael Dempsey guide you step-by-step through each stage of the journey =
and help you apply this rich tapestry to your artistic projects, infusing=
 them with direction and purpose. </SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt">=
<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoBodyText2><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY=
: Arial">Whether you're an actor looking to better analyze characters, a =
writer interested in creating more compelling plays, novels and screenpla=
ys, a student interested in religion or myth, or someone who simply wants=
 a framework against which to view their lives, The Hero's Journey class =
will give you concrete tools to analyze what you read, watch and write=E2=
=80=94and how you live.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN =
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNorm=
al><B>Writing What You Know<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>In=
structor: Nicole Hirsh<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Fee- $5=
0<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Tuesdays<SPAN style=3D"mso-s=
pacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Oct 28- Dec 9<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DM=
soNormal><B>6-7:30 p.m.<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Adult<=
o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; F=
ONT-FAMILY: Arial">This workshop is for adult students who wish to explor=
e the creative possibilities of non-fiction and memoir writing.<SPAN styl=
e=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The starting point for this worksho=
p will be the old adage: write what you know.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun:=
 yes">  </SPAN>We will work on turning our life experiences into gre=
at stories for ourselves, our families and friends, and possibly, for pub=
lication=E2=80=94after all, <I>writing </I>is<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun:=
 yes">  </SPAN>about <I>sharing</I>.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes=
">  </SPAN>Emphasis will be placed on getting started, finding one's=
 authentic voice, and turning ideas into narratives. Short readings and w=
riting assignment will be given weekly to help facilitate and stimulate t=
he imagination, and student work will be shared and discussed in class. <=
o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt=
; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><=
SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Students will receive =
the instructor=E2=80=99s feedback on their pieces throughout the session.=
<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Before the final session,=
 each student will select one of their previous assignments to develop in=
 full, so that by the end of the session, everyone will have at least one=
 story that they can consider polished and finished.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P=
> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial=
"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Performance Writin=
g: New Script Development<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Inst=
ructor: Joanne Frances Durante</B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><STRONG>Fee&n=
bsp; $100</STRONG></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>Fridays Oct 31- Dec 12<o:p=
></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B>6-8 p.m.<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P cl=
ass=3DMsoNormal><B>Youth Ages 12-16<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNorm=
al style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAM=
ILY: Arial">Learn how to develop a script for performance =E2=80=94 a pla=
y, a book for a musical, a screenplay, song lyrics, or even a comic monol=
ogue. The Performance Writing/New Script Development program is offered y=
ear-round in weekly 2-hour sessions segmented into 8-week cycles. Each cy=
cle culminates with a script-in-hand dramatic reading before an invited a=
udience. Sessions are limited to ten students and may be repeated as ofte=
n as desired, as writers continue to develop their works towards the ulti=
mate goal of production. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal styl=
e=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:=
 Arial"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TE=
XT-ALIGN: justify"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Cl=
asses incorporate improvisation, script analysis, dramatic reading, and d=
iscussion. Students will learn to:<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNo=
rmal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.25in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; TEXT-ALIGN: just=
ify; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: .25in"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE=
: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">=C2=B7<SPAN sty=
le=3D"FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">      &n=
bsp;  </SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Ari=
al">Understand and appreciate the various forms of performance writing<o:=
p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN-LEFT: 0.25in; TE=
XT-INDENT: -0.25in; TEXT-ALIGN: justify; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-st=
ops: .25in"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-bidi=
-font-family: Arial">=C2=B7<SPAN style=3D"FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&n=
bsp;        </SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style=3D=
"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Respect the collaborative process, =
with a special emphasis on the writer's relationships with the director, =
performers, and audience<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><SPAN=
 style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Create their own work for =
performance</SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> =
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN st=
yle=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal=
 style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10=
pt"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN=
: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> <o:p></o:p=
></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal>To register for a class at Forest Lodge=
 Community Arts Center, complete a registration form (below) and mail to =
:</P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B=
>Forest Lodge Community Arts Center<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNorm=
al style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B>260 Greenwood Ave<o:p><=
/o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dc=
enter><B>Akron, Ohio 44313</B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal>or drop it into t=
he mail slot at that same address.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp=
; </SPAN>For additional registration forms, stop by Forest Lodge Communit=
y Arts Center and pick up an extra form (additional after hours registrat=
ion forms are available on the door).<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&n=
bsp; </SPAN>Please submit one registration form per student. Make <B>chec=
k or money order payable to the instructor=E2=80=98s name</B>.<SPAN style=
=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Do not enclose cash.<SPAN style=3D"m=
so-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Classes begin as early as October 27.<SPA=
N style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Class sizes are limited, so r=
egister right away! </P> <P class=3DMsoNormal> <o:p></o:p></P> <P cl=
ass=3DMsoNormal>You may reserve a spot in a class by calling 330-375-2813=
.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Registrations will be co=
nfirmed on a first come first served basis in the order of payments recei=
ved.</P> <P class=3DMsoNormal> <o:p></o:p></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B>Questions?<SPAN style=3D"m=
so-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Call 330-375-2813 or email at <A href=3D"=
mailto:grahasu at ci.akron.oh.us">grahasu at ci.akron.oh.us</A><o:p></o:p></B><=
/P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B>&=
nbsp;<o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center=
" align=3Dcenter><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 16pt">Forest Lodge Communit=
y Arts Center-Registration<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal=
 style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter>Please complete and submit t=
his form with payment of <B>check or money order made payable to the clas=
s instructor (</B>in parentheses).<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp=
; </SPAN>Do not enclose cash!</P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIG=
N: center" align=3Dcenter> <o:p></o:p></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal styl=
e=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B>NAME </B>(of Student)_________=
_________________________________________</P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D=
"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter> <o:p></o:p></P> <P class=3DMsoN=
ormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B>PARENT NAME </B>(if =
applicable)_________________________________________</P> <P class=3DMsoNo=
rmal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter> <o:p></o:p></P> <P=
 class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B>ADDRESS=
</B>_________________________________________________________</P> <P clas=
s=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B> <o:p><=
/o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dc=
enter><B>CITY/STATE</B>_______________________________ <B>ZIP CODE</B>___=
____________</P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3D=
center><B> <o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-AL=
IGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B>PHONE NUMBER</B>__________________________=
_________________________</P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: c=
enter" align=3Dcenter><B> <o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal s=
tyle=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B>ALTERNATE PHONE NUMBER</B>_=
_______________________________________</P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D=
"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><B> <o:p></o:p></B></P> <P class=
=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN style=3D"F=
ONT-SIZE: 11pt">PLEASE MARK AN X BY THE CLASSES FOR WHICH YOU ARE REGISTE=
RING:<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-S=
IZE: 11pt">INTRODUCTION TO IMPROVISATION </SPAN></B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-S=
IZE: 11pt">(Adam Hoffman) $56<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal>=
<B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">INTRODUCTION TO ACTING </SPAN></B><SPA=
N style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">(Adam Hoffman) $56<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P c=
lass=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">BEGINNING ACTING </SP=
AN></B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">(Ing=C3=A9nue Theatre) $25<o:p></o=
:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">AC=
T TEEN TECHNIQUE </SPAN></B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">(Bil Pfuderer=
) $70<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-S=
IZE: 11pt">ACTING FOR NON ACTORS </SPAN></B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11p=
t">(Bil Pfuderer) $75<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN=
 style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">DANCE AND MOVEMENT CREATIVITY FOR PERFORMERS <=
/SPAN></B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">(Christine Martin) $55<o:p></o:=
p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">THE=
 HERO=E2=80=99S JOURNEY: MYTHIC STRUCTURE IN STORY </SPAN></B><SPAN style=
=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">(Michael Dempsey) $80<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=
=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">WRITING WHAT YOU KNOW </S=
PAN></B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">(Nicole Hirsh) $50<o:p></o:p></SP=
AN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 11pt">PERFORMAN=
CE WRITING: NEW SCRIPT DEVELOPMENT (</SPAN></B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: =
11pt">Joanne Frances Durante) $100</SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt">=
<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" =
align=3Dcenter> <o:p></o:p></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"TEXT-A=
LIGN: center" align=3Dcenter> <o:p></o:p></P> <P class=3DMsoNormal s=
tyle=3D"TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt=
">Persons with disabilities needing assistance are asked to contact Richa=
rd Johnson, Office of the ADA Coordinator, 166 South High Street, Akron, =
Ohio 44308.<SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>(330) 375-, (v=
oice), (330) 375-2345 (TDD) at least seven (7) days in advance.<SPAN styl=
e=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Printed on recycled paper.<SPAN sty=
-SIZE: 10pt">Visit our website at www.recreation at ci.akron.oh.us</SPAN></P=
><BR><BR>Suzie<BR><BR>What a fine persecution- to be kept intrigued witho=
ut ever quite being enlightened.<BR>~Tom Stoppard</DIV></BODY></HTML><br =
clear=3Dall><hr>Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : <a h=

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C392E5.362A1700--