[NEohioPAL]ISSUE 1 and what it means for NEOHio Artists?

brian reindel brian_reindel at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 12:56:31 PST 2003

--0-542836634-1067460991=:32363

ISSUE 1 and what it means for NE Ohio Artists?

As citizens of Ohio and the United States, it is our duty to ourselves and to each other to vote.  However, oftentimes citizens, ESPECIALLY MEMBERS OF THE ARTISTIC COMMUNITY, for one reason or another, forego the opportunity to have their say.  It is important, especially this year, for each of us first to KNOW OUR ISSUES, and then to make it to the polls.  Though some of us may not believe that our votes matter in certain national elections, they certainly count in the state, county, and especially local elections.

Ohio Issue 1 may be of great concern to many of you.  I urge you to research it and come to your own opinions, but it has the potential to open up the door for a number dangerous situations for artists in our area.

The issue's main goal (or mask, if you will) is to generate jobs in our state, especially in " science and technology" and "research"-based companies.  State funding would be provided to certain companies (which companies specifically would be determined by a three-person, governor-appointed panel [i need not remind you who our governor currently is]) to encourage the formation of new jobs to "boost the state economy".

However, in a very blatant way, this proposed amendment is a giant step backward.  It opens the door for an even greater degree of CORPORATE GOVERNANCE, giving preference to those massive corporations which already have the leverage to garner political support, and gaining them even more power, potentially harming many many small local businesses which are already struggling to compete.

Yet most disturbingly for ARTISTS, the proposed amendment "authorizes state partcicipation in, or to assist in the financing of, projects undertaken by local governmental or private sector entities, including NOT-FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS" (Ohio Ballot Board, caps added).  What this could mean is, above all, INCREASES IN CENSORSHIP, but also loss of control to state authority and, ultimately, unwanted corporations.  As much as corporate giving is appreciated by artists, this kind of legislation will benefit neither artists nor small businesses nor local cultural jewels.

It is important for us all to take responsibility for ourselves and our life's work.  There is of course more than one side to this issue, not really covered here, and i urge you to research all sides.  But we as artists MUST have political opinions, and we must ACT on them.  They are some of our strongest weapons in the battle for the preservation of our lifestyles, crafts, and cultures.

--0-542836634-1067460991=:32363

<DIV>ISSUE 1 and what it means for NE Ohio Artists?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>As citizens of Ohio and the United States, it is our duty to ourselves and to each other to vote.  However, oftentimes citizens, ESPECIALLY MEMBERS OF THE ARTISTIC COMMUNITY, for one reason or another, forego the opportunity to have their say.  It is important, especially this year, for each of us first to KNOW OUR ISSUES, and then to make it to the polls.  Though some of us may not believe that our votes matter in certain national elections, they certainly count in the state, county, and especially local elections.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Ohio Issue 1 may be of great concern to many of you.  I urge you to research it and come to your own opinions, but it has the potential to open up the door for a number dangerous situations for artists in our area.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The issue's main goal (or mask, if you will) is to generate jobs in our state, especially in " science and technology" and "research"-based companies.  State funding would be provided to certain companies (which companies specifically would be determined by a three-person, governor-appointed panel [i need not remind you who our governor currently is]) to encourage the formation of new jobs to "boost the state economy".</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>However, in a very blatant way, this proposed amendment is a giant step backward.  It opens the door for an even greater degree of CORPORATE GOVERNANCE, giving preference to those massive corporations which already have the leverage to garner political support, and gaining them even more power, potentially harming many many small local businesses which are already struggling to compete.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Yet most disturbingly for ARTISTS, the proposed amendment "authorizes state partcicipation in, or to assist in the financing of, projects undertaken by local governmental or private sector entities, including NOT-FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS" (Ohio Ballot Board, caps added).  What this could mean is, above all, INCREASES IN CENSORSHIP, but also loss of control to state authority and, ultimately, unwanted corporations.  As much as corporate giving is appreciated by artists, this kind of legislation will benefit neither artists nor small businesses nor local cultural jewels.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>It is important for us all to take responsibility for ourselves and our life's work.  There is of course more than one side to this issue, not really covered here, and i urge you to research all sides.  But we as artists MUST have political opinions, and we must ACT on them.  They are some of our strongest weapons in the battle for the preservation of our lifestyles, crafts, and cultures.</DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Exclusive Video Premiere - <a href="http://launch.yahoo.com/video/?1093432&fs=1&redirectURL=http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/">Britney Spears</a>
--0-542836634-1067460991=:32363--