[NEohioPAL]Arts and Culture Advocacy

Bodwin Theatre bodwin_theatre at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 20:34:10 PST 2003

List:  Do you have opportunities to let friends, patrons and supporters know
how important arts and culture are to the region? If so, I'd love to talk to
you.
Over the past few months, you've heard more and more about the concept of
public support for the arts.  While gearing up for a potential campaign
earlier this year, artists and arts organizations began to let friends,
neighbors, patrons and others know how important arts and culture are to the
region.  A lot of groups and individuals have gathered together to make sure
those efforts continue.  While it's not clear whether an arts levy will be
linked to a health and human services levy in the spring or a parks levy
(can you say arts and parks?) in the fall, the Cuyahoga County commissioners
have all indicated a significant level of support for the arts.
To build on the progress and help continue the important momentum, we are
asking the arts community to continue to promote arts and culture as more
than artistic enrichment, but a vital part of the community, with economic
and educational value that warrants support.  Specifically, we would like to
be able to distribute promotional material for the Community Partnership for
Arts and Culture as a program insert for all sorts of performances and
activities that you may be working on.  Do you have upcoming performances in
which you help?  We want to go beyond display or having materials set out
for patrons, into actually getting them into patrons' hands at every
possible opportunity (in gift shop bags, ticket or invitation envelopes,
stage speeches or as text in a postcard or other mailing):
* Arts and culture improves our struggling economy, providing thousands of
jobs and $1.3 billion in regional economic activity;
* Arts and culture build our neighborhoods, adding stability and value;
* Arts and culture strengthen our schools, helping to  boost student math
and reading scores with arts organizations that invest over $13 million
annually in education and outreach.

The holiday season is approaching, with lots of opportunities to reach arts
friends and supporters.   If you have promotional opportunities that might
meet these goals, I'd love to talk to you!
Thanks and best wishes always.

Kevin Cronin
Bodwin Theatre Company

Co-chair, Arts and Culture Public Awareness Subcommittee

3814 Prospect Avenue, #205
Cleveland, Ohio 44115
h/w: 216/361-9090
c: 216/374-7578