[NEohioPAL]Berko review: I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE/HANNA THEATRE

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 09:10:32 PST 2004

HANNA PRODUCTION:  I LOVE YOU, YOU’RE PERFECT, DON’T
CHANGE!

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

It is only fitting that David Fraser was present at
the opening of Playhouse Square’s new Hanna Theatre
production, ‘I LOVE YOU, YOU’RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE.’
Fraser was part of the original cast of ‘JACQUES BREL’
which, due to its record setting run, has been
credited with keeping the Play House Square theatres
from being demolished.  Only recently did ‘TONY ‘N
TINA’S WEDDING’ eclipse the Brel longevity record for
the longest run at a Cleveland theatre.  Don’t be
surprised if ‘I LOVE YOU, YOU’RE PERFECT, NOW CHANGE’
eclipses that record.  Yes, it’s that good.

The show is well into its 8th smash season in New
York, has played to more than 650,000 people in
Gotham, and has grossed over 60 million dollars
worldwide with over 150 productions in such cities as
Los Angeles, Toronto, Tel Aviv, Mexico City and
Barcelona.

Playwright/lyricist Joe DiPietro and composer Jimmy
Roberts’ show, which has been called, “Seinfeld set to
music” takes the viewer on a musical ride through the
modern day mating game examing dating, romance,
marriage, lovers, husbands, wives, children, in-laws,,
sex, communication, and  aging.

Since opening in the big Apple, “I LOVE YOU, YOU’RE
PERFECT, NOW CHANGE” has become the most
proposal-friendly show in town. Forty-two times, a
young man has taken the stage to make a surprise
proposal to his sweetheart. In all cases, the
brides-to be happily accepted as the audience roared
with approval.  Cleveland could be next for this
unique proposal technique.

Make no mistake, you don’t go to ‘I LOVE YOU, YOU’RE
PERFECT, NOW CHANGE’ so much for the message as to be
entertainmed.  However, there are moments,
particularly in Act 2, when the poignancy of the show
sneaks up on you. Act 1 deals with dating, and Act 2
deals with marriage, parenthood, and the death of a
spouse.

The Cleveland production is OUTSTANDING.  There is not
a weakness in the presentation.
Director/choreographer Ray Roderick’s  inspiration is
imprinted all over the production.  The pacing is
swift.  The choreography is fresh and creative.   The
shticks all work.

The Cleveland-based cast is talented.
T-A-L-E-N-T-E-D!  They sing, act, dance and clown with
ease.  Playing numerous parts, from teens to the aged,
each cast member understands the variances in their
characters.   Tricia Bestic, Julie Hogan, Nicholas
Koesters and Larry Nehring don’t sing words, they sing
meanings.  Their voices are glorious.  They are a
total joy to listen to and watch.

The musicians, pianist Angelyn Fullerton and violinist
Ed Caner were excellent, as was Russ Borski’s
contemporary cityscape set design and Terry Pieritz’s
costumes.

CAPSULE JUDGEMENT: ‘I LOVE YOU, YOU’RE PERFECT, NOW
CHANGE’ is a total delight!  Though scheduled to run
just until June, once the word gets out it should have
a long, long, run at the Hanna Theatre!

For tickets to ‘I LOVE YOU, YOU’RE PERFET, NOW
CHANGE,’ call 216-241-6000 or go on line to
playhousesquare.com.  The Hanna Theatre is located at
2067 East 14th Street.