[NEohioPAL]Workshop Opens "Arms and the Man" this week!

WSPAmherst at aol.com WSPAmherst at aol.com
Mon Jan 26 10:11:40 PST 2004

For Immediate Release
Workshop Players Theatre presents George Bernard Shaw’s "Arms and the Man", opening January 29.  The show is directed by Virginia Waratinksy and features Chas P. Deremer as Capt. Bluntschli, Marylee Gotch as Raina Petkoff, Maud Holm as Catherine Petkoff,   Dale Hruska as Nicola, Jim Murray as the Russian Officer, Marc Newton as Sergius Saranoff, Kat Sokolowska as Louka and Jack Warren as Major Petkoff.

The play was written in 1894 yet it is still fresh.  That is part of Shaw’s genius.  It is an anti-war play but it is much more than that.
   To quote Shaw:   "Just as the historian can teach no real history until he has cured his readers of the romantic delusion that the greatness of a queen consists in her being a pretty woman and having her head cut off, so the playwright of the first order can do nothing with his audience until he has cured them of looking at the stage through the keyhole, and sniffing round the theatre as prurient people sniff round the divorce court."

Come and see one of the few plays set in Bulgaria.  Come and learn why chocolate is more important than bullets and why glory is so fleeting.   Come and enjoy Shaw’s wit, and his cynicism. Theater is the ideal means of telling this story and Workshop is proud to produce "Arms and the Man".   Come and be a part of the theater experience.  We need you and you need theater.  Together we’ll have a memorable evening.

Production dates are January 29, 30, 31; February 6, 7, 13 & 14 at 8 p.m. There will also be Sunday matinees on February 8 and 15 at 3 p.m.. Tickets are $10.00 each and may be reserved by calling the box office at 440-988-5613. Group rates are available for groups of 15 or more. For more information, call or visit our website at www.workshopplayers.com.
Workshop Players Theatre is located at 44820 Middle Ridge Road in Amherst.
-   30 –