[NEohioPAL]Boulevard Theatre Produces Waverly Gallery

JSM7250 at aol.com JSM7250 at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 10:43:20 PST 2004

--part1_145.2155035b.2d495cc8_boundary

Press Release
For Immediate Release January 28, 2004

Contact: Jean Sycle Martin, Boulevard Theatre Coordinator, at
jean at boulevardtheatre.org (or 216/561-8588) or Mary Scibana, Shaker Hts. Manager of Adult
Services, at 216-491-1351.

Boulevard's Waverly Gallery debuts
at M% Gallery on Larchmere

The Shaker Heights-based Boulevard Theatre will produce Kenneth Lonergan's
The Waverly Gallery at M% Gallery, 12812 Larchmere Blvd. in Cleveland near
Shaker Heights February 20-21 and February 27-28 at 8 p.m. and February 22 and
February 29 at 2 p.m.

Seating is limited. Advance reservations with credit card are suggested by
calling 216-491-1360. Monday-Friday 8:30 - 5 p.m. Tickets are $10, $8 for
seniors or students.

A 2001 Pulitzer Prize finalist, The Waverly Gallery is a powerfully poignant
and often hilarious play about the final years of a generous, chatty and
feisty grandmother's battle against Alzheimer's disease. A left-wing social
activist and former lawyer, Gladys is the long-time owner of a Greenwich Village art
gallery.  The play explores her fight to retain her independence and the
effect on her family, which includes her daughter and son-in-law (both
psychiatrists) and her speechwriter grandson.  A visiting artist also plays an important
role.

An opening night reception will be provided by Larchmere Tavern and Shaker
Square Beverage, courtesy of the University Memory and Aging Center.

Discussions with psychology professionals, courtesy of the University Memory
and Aging Center, will follow the Sunday matinee performances.

Veteran Cleveland-area director Sarah May is director. Sarah spent 10 years
in New York City performing, directing, and developing educational programs for
Playwrights Horizons, Henry Street Settlement, and Roundabout Theatre.  In
Cleveland she has served as Education Director for Great Lakes Theatre and
Artistic Director of Karamu Theatre, and she has directed for most area theatres.
Sarah is the 2001 winner of the Northern Ohio Live Award of Achievement in
Theatre for her direction of A Piece of My Heart at Beck Center.  She had
previously been nominated four times for that same award.

Cast:

Ivy Kopit (Ellen Fine, the daughter) has appeared as Sarah in The Lover at
CSU's Factory Theatre and, for Boulevard Theatre, as Kate in Sylvia and Beverly
in The Shadow Box. She presently teaches the 3 Schools = 1 Neighborhood
Theater Program on Diversity through the Heights Arts Collaborative.

Douglas A. Kusak (Don Bowman, the artist) performed most recently in Mrs. Bob
Cratchit's Wild Christmas Binge at Cleveland Public Theatre and has been seen
on most Cleveland stages including Beck Center (Picasso at the Lapin Agile,
Macbeth, Chess), Ensemble (A View from the Bridge, Polish Sharpshooters), and
Lakeland (She Loves Me). He has toured Cleveland with Great Lakes Theater
Festival's outreach production of The World of Sholom Aleichem, and has toured the
country with SignStage.

Lee Mackey (Gladys Green, the gallery owner) appeared recently in Blue Heart
and Stevie, produced by Caesar's Forum at Kennedy's Down Under in Playhouse
Square, and in Mornings at Seven at Ensemble Theatre. Lee can be "seen" and
"heard" regularly in local commercials and is best known for her numerous
performances at Beck Center over the past 35 years including Love Letters and The Gin
Game (both with her late husband Karl), 'Night Mother and Buried Child.

David Rohler (Howard Fine, Ellen's husband) has been involved in the
Cleveland theatre community for nearly 20 years.  Most recently, he directed a
traveling production of ART for Boulevard and a Shaker Library-sponsored production
of A.R. Gurney's Love Letters, starring local newscaster Leon Bibb. He has
worked with Boulevard Theatre since its inception both as a founding board member
and in Play On!, The Shadow Box and Sylvia.  Rohler's other notable credits
include productions at JCC Halle Theatre, CCC East and Unitarian Players.

James Savage Jr. (Daniel Reed, Ellen's son) was recently seen in Boy Gets
Girl at Beck Center, Six Degrees of Separation for Charenton Theatre, and Julius
Caesar for The Cleveland Shakespeare Festival, and has toured the area in
Great Lakes Theater Festival's School Residency Program.

Founded in early 1999, Boulevard Theatre specializes in intimate, interactive
community-based theatre. Boulevard is an adult program of the City of Shaker
Heights Community Life Department.  Friends of Boulevard Theatre is a support
arm of the theatre. For more information, see www.boulevardtheatre.org.

M%, owned by Matthew Garson, is a consulting firm specializing in design and
contemporary art.  The gallery hours are Wed.-Saturday, or by appointment. The
phone is 216-791-7883. www.mpercent.com

####

--part1_145.2155035b.2d495cc8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  COLOR=3D"#0000ff" SIZE=3D2 P=
TSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS" LANG=3D"0"><B><U>Press R=
elease</U><BR>
For Immediate Release January 28, 2004 <BR>
<BR>
Contact: Jean Sycle Martin, Boulevard Theatre Coordinator, at jean at boulevard=
theatre.org (or 216/561-8588) or Mary Scibana, Shaker Hts. Manager of Adult=20=
Services, at 216-491-1351.  <BR>
                    <BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#0000a0" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"=
BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D4 PTSIZE=3D14 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=3D"Co=
mic Sans MS" LANG=3D"0"><U>Boulevard's Waverly Gallery debuts <BR>
at M% Gallery on Larchmere</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#0000ff" BACK=3D"#ffffff" s=
tyle=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT" FA=
CE=3D"Comic Sans MS" LANG=3D"0"></U><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><BR>
The Shaker Heights-based Boulevard Theatre will produce Kenneth Lonergan's <=
I>The Waverly Gallery</I> at M% Gallery, 12812 Larchmere Blvd. in Cleveland=20=
near Shaker Heights February 20-21 and February 27-28 at 8 p.m. and February=
 22 and February 29 at 2 p.m. <BR>
<BR>
Seating is limited. Advance reservations with credit card are suggested by c=
alling 216-491-1360. Monday-Friday 8:30 - 5 p.m. Tickets are $10, $8 for sen=
iors or students.<BR>
<BR>
A 2001 Pulitzer Prize finalist, The Waverly Gallery is a powerfully poignant=
 and often hilarious play about the final years of a generous, chatty and fe=
isty grandmother's battle against Alzheimer's disease. A left-wing social ac=
tivist and former lawyer, Gladys is the long-time owner of a Greenwich Villa=
ge art gallery.  The play explores her fight to retain her independence=
 and the effect on her family, which includes her daughter and son-in-law (b=
oth psychiatrists) and her speechwriter grandson.  A visiting artist al=
so plays an important role. <BR>
<BR>
An opening night reception will be provided by Larchmere Tavern and Shaker S=
quare Beverage, courtesy of the University Memory and Aging Center.<BR>
<BR>
Discussions with psychology professionals, courtesy of the University Memory=
 and Aging Center, will follow the Sunday matinee performances.<BR>
<BR>
Veteran Cleveland-area director Sarah May is director. Sarah spent 10 years=20=
in New York City performing, directing, and developing educational programs=20=
for Playwrights Horizons, Henry Street Settlement, and Roundabout Theatre.&n=
bsp; In Cleveland she has served as Education Director for Great Lakes Theat=
re and Artistic Director of Karamu Theatre, and she has directed for most ar=
ea theatres. Sarah is the 2001 winner of the Northern Ohio Live Award of Ach=
ievement in Theatre for her direction of <I>A Piece of My Heart</I> at Beck=20=
Center.  She had previously been nominated four times for that same awa=
rd.<BR>
<BR>
Cast: <BR>
<BR>
Ivy Kopit (Ellen Fine, the daughter) has appeared as Sarah in <I>The Lover</=
I> at CSU's Factory Theatre and, for Boulevard Theatre, as Kate in <I>Sylvia=
</I> and Beverly in <I>The Shadow Box</I>. She presently teaches the 3 Schoo=
ls =3D 1 Neighborhood Theater Program on Diversity through the Heights Arts=20=
Collaborative.  <BR>
<BR>
Douglas A. Kusak (Don Bowman, the artist) performed most recently in Mrs. Bo=
b Cratchit's <I>Wild Christmas Binge</I> at Cleveland Public Theatre and has=
 been seen on most Cleveland stages including Beck Center (<I>Picasso at the=
 Lapin Agile, Macbeth, Chess</I>), Ensemble (<I>A View from the Bridge</I>,=20=
P<I>olish Sharpshooters</I>), and Lakeland (<I>She Loves M</I>e). He has tou=
red Cleveland with Great Lakes Theater Festival's outreach production of <I>=
The World of Sholom Aleichem</I>, and has toured the country with SignStage.=
<BR>
<BR>
Lee Mackey (Gladys Green, the gallery owner) appeared recently in <I>Blue He=
art</I> and <I>Stevie</I>, produced by Caesar's Forum at Kennedy's Down Unde=
r in Playhouse Square, and in <I>Mornings at Seven</I> at Ensemble Theatre.=20=
Lee can be "seen" and "heard" regularly in local commercials and is best kno=
wn for her numerous performances at Beck Center over the past 35 years inclu=
ding <I>Love Letters</I> and <I>The Gin Game</I> (both with her late husband=
 Karl), <I>'Night Mother</I> and <I>Buried Child</I>.<BR>
<BR>
David Rohler (Howard Fine, Ellen's husband) has been involved in the Clevela=
nd theatre community for nearly 20 years.  Most recently, he directed a=
 traveling production of <I>ART</I> for Boulevard and a Shaker Library-spons=
ored production of A.R. Gurney's <I>Love Letters</I>, starring local newscas=
ter Leon Bibb. He has worked with Boulevard Theatre since its inception both=
 as a founding board member and in <I>Play On!</I>, <I>The Shadow</I> <I>Box=
 </I>and <I>Sylvia</I>.  Rohler's other notable credits include product=
ions at JCC Halle Theatre, CCC East and Unitarian Players.<BR>
<BR>
James Savage Jr. (Daniel Reed, Ellen's son) was recently seen in <I>Boy Gets=
 Girl</I> at Beck Center, <I>Six Degrees of Separation</I> for Charenton The=
atre, and Julius Caesar for The Cleveland Shakespeare Festival, and has tour=
ed the area in Great Lakes Theater Festival's School Residency Program. <BR>
<BR>
Founded in early 1999, Boulevard Theatre specializes in intimate, interactiv=
e community-based theatre. Boulevard is an adult program of the City of Shak=
er Heights Community Life Department.  Friends of Boulevard Theatre is=20=
a support arm of the theatre. For more information, see <A HREF=3D"www.boule=
vardtheatre.org">www.boulevardtheatre.org</A></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#0000ff"=
 BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 F=
AMILY=3D"SCRIPT" FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS" LANG=3D"0">.<BR>
<BR>
M%, owned by Matthew Garson, is a consulting firm specializing in design and=
 contemporary art.  The gallery hours are Wed.-Saturday, or by appointm=
ent. The phone is 216-791-7883. <U>www.mpercent.com</U><BR>
<BR>
####<BR>
<BR>
</B></P></P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_145.2155035b.2d495cc8_boundary--