[NEohioPAL]"The New Americans" Screening

Ifpmidwest1e at aol.com Ifpmidwest1e at aol.com
Fri Feb 6 15:53:41 PST 2004

--part1_1a6.1fd53430.2d558305_boundary

IFP/Chicago Facets Film Series Presents=20

"The New Americans"

Wednesday, February 11
Facets Multi-Media, 1517 W. Fullerton, Chicago
7 pm

Executive Producers Gordon Quinn and Steve James will be in attendance!=A0=
=A0=20

Free to IFP, NATAS, and Facets Members and one guest; $5 for Non-Members.=20=
=A0=20

"The New Americans" is a documentary series that follows a diverse group of=20
immigrants over a four-year period, providing an intimate look at what it me=
ans=20
to be a "new American" in the 21st century.

Produced by Chicago's own Kartemquin Films, we will be treated to a sneak=20
preview of the series which will air on PBS's Acclaimed "Independent Lens" S=
eries=20
starting on March 29th.=A0 Executive Producers Gordon Quinn and Steve James=20
will be in attendance!=A0=A0 Jerry Blumenthal, Gordon's directing partner on=
 the=20
Palestinian story and David Simpson, one of the series editors, will also be=
=20
present.

On February 11th, we will screen the first two-hour episode.=A0 It begins th=
ree=20
of the five stories followed during the course of the series: Dominican=20
baseball prospects Ricardo and Jos=E9; Naima, a young Palestinian woman who=20=
marries a=20
Chicagoan and starts a new life in America; and the Nigerian Nwidor and=20
Lawani families, who are refugees fleeing persecution in their homeland.

The first episode begins in their homelands or refugee camp, as we see the=20
subjects' roots in their country and culture, and hear their dreams and=20
expectations of America. Viewers get the chance to understand the subjects'=20=
sense of=20
national identity before being confronted with America and the powerfully=20
defining - and sometimes confining - label of "immigrant."

Kartemquin Films, whose best known film, Hoop Dreams, won every major critic=
s=20
prize and journalism award in 1995, has been home to a wide range of=20
independent filmmakers, making important social issue documentaries. The ser=
ies was=20
executive produced by Steve James (director of Hoop Dreams and the recent=20
critical hit, Stevie) and long-time award-winning filmmaker Gordon Quinn, wi=
th Gita=20
Saedi serving as series producer.=A0=20

Thanks to the support of the Illinois Humanities Council, an expert on=20
immigration and refugee issues will lead a Q & A discussion after the screen=
ing.

Join us for a pre-screening workshop at 5:30 pm with Mr. Quinn and Mr. James=
=20
and=A0 to discuss the production process, writing, and financing. Write=20
rcowing at ifp.org or call 312-435-1825 to RSVP for the workshop.=A0=A0 We will=
 also hold a=20
reception in the Facets lobby from 6 - 7 pm.=A0 Join us for some pre-screeni=
ng=20
treats!

Schedule:
5:30 pm - 6 pm=A0 Pre-Screening Workshop
6 pm - 7pm Reception in Lobby
7 pm=A0 Screening of "The New Americans"
9 pm=A0 Post-Screening Q&A

--part1_1a6.1fd53430.2d558305_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
IFP/Chicago Facets Film Series Presents <BR>
<BR>
"The New Americans"<BR>
<BR>
Wednesday, February 11<BR>
Facets Multi-Media, 1517 W. Fullerton, Chicago<BR>
7 pm<BR>
<BR>
Executive Producers Gordon Quinn and Steve James will be in attendance!=A0=
=A0 <BR>
<BR>
Free to IFP, NATAS, and Facets Members and one guest; $5 for Non-Members.=20=
=A0 <BR>
<BR>
"The New Americans" is a documentary series that follows a diverse group of=20=
immigrants over a four-year period, providing an intimate look at what it me=
ans to be a "new American" in the 21st century.<BR>
<BR>
Produced by Chicago's own Kartemquin Films, we will be treated to a sneak pr=
eview of the series which will air on PBS's Acclaimed "Independent Lens" Ser=
ies starting on March 29th.=A0 Executive Producers Gordon Quinn and Steve Ja=
mes will be in attendance!=A0=A0 Jerry Blumenthal, Gordon's directing partne=
r on the Palestinian story and David Simpson, one of the series editors, wil=
l also be present.<BR>
<BR>
On February 11th, we will screen the first two-hour episode.=A0 It begins th=
ree of the five stories followed during the course of the series: Dominican=20=
baseball prospects Ricardo and Jos=E9; Naima, a young Palestinian woman who=20=
marries a Chicagoan and starts a new life in America; and the Nigerian Nwido=
r and Lawani families, who are refugees fleeing persecution in their homelan=
d.<BR>
<BR>
The first episode begins in their homelands or refugee camp, as we see the s=
ubjects' roots in their country and culture, and hear their dreams and expec=
tations of America. Viewers get the chance to understand the subjects' sense=
 of national identity before being confronted with America and the powerfull=
y defining - and sometimes confining - label of "immigrant."<BR>
<BR>
Kartemquin Films, whose best known film, Hoop Dreams, won every major critic=
s prize and journalism award in 1995, has been home to a wide range of indep=
endent filmmakers, making important social issue documentaries. The series w=
as executive produced by Steve James (director of Hoop Dreams and the recent=
 critical hit, Stevie) and long-time award-winning filmmaker Gordon Quinn, w=
ith Gita Saedi serving as series producer.=A0 <BR>
<BR>
Thanks to the support of the Illinois Humanities Council, an expert on immig=
ration and refugee issues will lead a Q & A discussion after the screeni=
ng.<BR>
<BR>
Join us for a pre-screening workshop at 5:30 pm with Mr. Quinn and Mr. James=
 and=A0 to discuss the production process, writing, and financing. Write rco=
wing at ifp.org or call 312-435-1825 to RSVP for the workshop.=A0=A0 We will al=
so hold a reception in the Facets lobby from 6 - 7 pm.=A0 Join us for some p=
re-screening treats!<BR>
<BR>
Schedule:<BR>
5:30 pm - 6 pm=A0 Pre-Screening Workshop<BR>
6 pm - 7pm Reception in Lobby<BR>
7 pm=A0 Screening of "The New Americans"<BR>
9 pm=A0 Post-Screening Q&A<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_1a6.1fd53430.2d558305_boundary--