[NEohioPAL]Legal Series - Chicago

Ifpmidwest1e at aol.com Ifpmidwest1e at aol.com
Thu Feb 19 09:21:46 PST 2004

--part1_137.2b2a67dc.2d664aaa_boundary

"From Concept to Distribution: A Series on the Business of Independent Film=20
Production"=20

Sponsored by Holland and Knight

An IFP/CAVA/Columbia College Workshop Series

Per Seminar Price:=A0=20
$15 for IFP and CAVA Members
$25 for Non-Members
Free for Columbia College Students

Purchase a full pass to the series for only $60 - Available on March 6th for=
=20
IFP/CAVA Members Only! Save a total of $15!=A0=20

IFP Membership is $85 for a year; $60 for Students - Go to www.ifp.org to=20
become a member now!

Location:=A0 Columbia College, 1104 S. Wabash, Rm. 302, Chicago
Each seminar will be held from 10 am - 2 pm

This seminar series is designed to alert you to the most common legal and=20
business hazards faced by independent film producers and to suggest ways of=20
handling these problems.=A0 Join Bob Labate and Timothy S. Kelley, two Chica=
go-based=20
attorneys who have been advising independent producers for many years, and=20
their guest speakers to discuss the challenging work of producing independen=
t=20
film.=20

Please RSVP!=A0 Limited seating is available. To reserve your spot and for m=
ore=20
information, contact the IFP/Chicago office at 312-435-1825 or write=20
rcowing at ifp.org.

The Chicago Academy of Visual Arts (CAVA) is a not-for-profit organization=20
offering hands-on post-film school film experience that can help launch or=20
enhance your career. CAVA's faculty-mentors are among the most successful fi=
lm and=20
videotape professionals in Chicago. Their diverse backgrounds and rich=20
experience include directing, lighting, sound, camera and even law.

Timothy S. Kelley, (tim at artslawyer.com), Attorney at Law, concentrates his=20
practice on entertainment, art, intellectual property and not-for-profit iss=
ues.=20
Tim currently teaches at Columbia College in Chicago at both the=20
undergraduate and graduate level.=A0=20

Robert J. Labate, (robert.labate at hklaw.com) Robert Labate has extensive=20
experience in the area of entertainment law. He represents independent produ=
ction=20
companies in film and music, documentary film producers, actors, screenwrite=
rs,=20
musicians, authors and talent agencies in a broad spectrum of contract,=20
copyright and litigation issues.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Saturday, March 6, 2004:
Preparing To Produce
10 am - 2 pm

In this seminar we will discuss steps that should be taken before the script=
=20
is finished, before actors are attached and before money is raised. We will=20
review the business structures commonly used for film production, certain=20
pre-organization agreements as to rights, basic agreements for optioning rig=
hts and=20
some strategies used at the beginning of production.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Saturday, March 20, 2004:
Indie Film Financing
10 am - 2 pm

In this seminar we will discuss the most common methods of obtaining funds=20
for development and production and we will provide examples of strategies an=
d=20
pitfalls involved in funding an indie production.=A0 We will discuss=20
minimum/maximum budgets, deferred payments, the new Film Production Services=
 Tax Credit Act=20
in Illinois, development funds and common divisions of "distributable cash"=20
between investors and producers.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Saturday, April 3, 2004:
Artist, Crew, SAG and Production Contracts Issues
10 am - 2 pm

In this seminar we will discuss the nature of the relationship between Indie=
=20
producers and SAG/AFTRA and we will review specific provisions of the SAG=20
Basic Agreement that are used most by Indie Producers who want to use SAG/AF=
TRA=20
talent in their films. We will also review a variety of agreements and relea=
ses=20
used by Indie Producers for use with actors, directors, line producers,=20
writers, crew, locations, product, minors and independent contractors.=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Saturday, April 17, 2004:
Music, Copyright and Clearance Issues
10 am - 2 pm

This seminar will review the basic "clearance" issues involved in obtaining=20
music rights for your film as well as the variety of copyright, publicity, a=
nd=20
other intellectual property issues that are likely to arise in most Indie fi=
lm=20
projects.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Saturday, May 1, 2004:
Distribution Principles, Issues and Strategies
10 am - 2 pm

This seminar will focus on the various ways in which you might distribute=20
your film, the merits and problems of each type of distribution, what=20
distributors require before accepting a film and what alternatives exist.=
=A0 Among other=20
topics we will discuss: common post-production issues; plotting film festiva=
l=20
strategy; errors and omissions insurance; selling your film and use of=20
producers' reps; common "delivery" requirements and the essential provisions=
 of many=20
distribution agreements.

--part1_137.2b2a67dc.2d664aaa_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
"From Concept to Distribution: A Series on the Business of Independent Film=20=
Production" <BR>
<BR>
Sponsored by Holland and Knight<BR>
<BR>
An IFP/CAVA/Columbia College Workshop Series<BR>
<BR>
Per Seminar Price:=A0 <BR>
$15 for IFP and CAVA Members<BR>
$25 for Non-Members<BR>
Free for Columbia College Students<BR>
<BR>
Purchase a full pass to the series for only $60 - Available on March 6th for=
 IFP/CAVA Members Only! Save a total of $15!=A0 <BR>
<BR>
IFP Membership is $85 for a year; $60 for Students - Go to <A HREF=3D"www.if=
p.org">www.ifp.org</A> to become a member now!<BR>
<BR>
Location:=A0 Columbia College, 1104 S. Wabash, Rm. 302, Chicago<BR>
Each seminar will be held from 10 am - 2 pm<BR>
<BR>
This seminar series is designed to alert you to the most common legal and bu=
siness hazards faced by independent film producers and to suggest ways of ha=
ndling these problems.=A0 Join Bob Labate and Timothy S. Kelley, two Chicago=
-based attorneys who have been advising independent producers for many years=
, and their guest speakers to discuss the challenging work of producing inde=
pendent film. <BR>
<BR>
Please RSVP!=A0 Limited seating is available. To reserve your spot and for m=
ore information, contact the IFP/Chicago office at 312-435-1825 or write rco=
wing at ifp.org.<BR>
<BR>
The Chicago Academy of Visual Arts (CAVA) is a not-for-profit organization o=
ffering hands-on post-film school film experience that can help launch or en=
hance your career. CAVA's faculty-mentors are among the most successful film=
 and videotape professionals in Chicago. Their diverse backgrounds and rich=20=
experience include directing, lighting, sound, camera and even law.<BR>
<BR>
Timothy S. Kelley, (tim at artslawyer.com), Attorney at Law, concentrates his p=
ractice on entertainment, art, intellectual property and not-for-profit issu=
es. Tim currently teaches at Columbia College in Chicago at both the undergr=
aduate and graduate level.=A0 <BR>
<BR>
Robert J. Labate, (robert.labate at hklaw.com) Robert Labate has extensive expe=
rience in the area of entertainment law. He represents independent productio=
n companies in film and music, documentary film producers, actors, screenwri=
ters, musicians, authors and talent agencies in a broad spectrum of contract=
, copyright and litigation issues.<BR>
<BR>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>
<BR>
Saturday, March 6, 2004:<BR>
Preparing To Produce<BR>
10 am - 2 pm<BR>
<BR>
In this seminar we will discuss steps that should be taken before the script=
 is finished, before actors are attached and before money is raised. We will=
 review the business structures commonly used for film production, certain p=
re-organization agreements as to rights, basic agreements for optioning righ=
ts and some strategies used at the beginning of production.<BR>
<BR>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>
<BR>
Saturday, March 20, 2004:<BR>
Indie Film Financing<BR>
10 am - 2 pm<BR>
<BR>
In this seminar we will discuss the most common methods of obtaining funds f=
or development and production and we will provide examples of strategies and=
 pitfalls involved in funding an indie production.=A0 We will discuss minimu=
m/maximum budgets, deferred payments, the new Film Production Services Tax C=
redit Act in Illinois, development funds and common divisions of "distributa=
ble cash" between investors and producers.<BR>
<BR>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>
<BR>
Saturday, April 3, 2004:<BR>
Artist, Crew, SAG and Production Contracts Issues<BR>
10 am - 2 pm<BR>
<BR>
In this seminar we will discuss the nature of the relationship between Indie=
 producers and SAG/AFTRA and we will review specific provisions of the SAG B=
asic Agreement that are used most by Indie Producers who want to use SAG/AFT=
RA talent in their films. We will also review a variety of agreements and re=
leases used by Indie Producers for use with actors, directors, line producer=
s, writers, crew, locations, product, minors and independent contractors. <B=

<BR>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>
<BR>
Saturday, April 17, 2004:<BR>
Music, Copyright and Clearance Issues<BR>
10 am - 2 pm<BR>
<BR>
This seminar will review the basic "clearance" issues involved in obtaining=20=
music rights for your film as well as the variety of copyright, publicity, a=
nd other intellectual property issues that are likely to arise in most Indie=
 film projects.<BR>
<BR>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>
<BR>
Saturday, May 1, 2004:<BR>
Distribution Principles, Issues and Strategies<BR>
10 am - 2 pm<BR>
<BR>
This seminar will focus on the various ways in which you might distribute yo=
ur film, the merits and problems of each type of distribution, what distribu=
tors require before accepting a film and what alternatives exist.=A0 Among o=
ther topics we will discuss: common post-production issues; plotting film fe=
stival strategy; errors and omissions insurance; selling your film and use o=
f producers' reps; common "delivery" requirements and the essential provisio=
ns of many distribution agreements.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_137.2b2a67dc.2d664aaa_boundary--