[NEohioPAL]Usher at CPT for "Don't Start Me To Talking Or I'll Tell You Everything I Know"

Denis Griesmer dgriesmer at cptonline.org
Sun Mar 14 13:13:58 PST 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C409DF.5BFC12A0

Dear List Reader:

Call CPT now and sign up to usher and see for free "Don't Start Me To
Talking Or I'll Tell You Everything I Know: The Life and Writings of
Junebug Jabbo Jones."
Call Denis Griesmer at 216.631.2727, ext. 208 or reply to this email.
Details about the show are listed below or click this link:
http://www.cptonline.org/seasoncalendar/event.cfm?eventid=155
<http://www.cptonline.org/seasoncalendar/event.cfm?eventid=155&eventdate
id=778> &eventdateid=778
Don't Start Me To Talking Or I'll Tell Everything I Know... is a
remarkable collection of six tales and anecdotes as told by the
folkloric character, Junebug Jabbo Jones.

In the story, "I'm Who It Is Talking To You", Junebug tells of his
history and background. "Junebug Jabbo Jones," the mythic storyteller
informs us, "it ain't my name, it's a title of a job I got to do... like
'prince' or 'king' or something like that." Speaking more personally,
our Junebug tells of his own experiences growing up in Pike County,
Mississippi in "In Them Old Cotton Fields Back Home". The first act ends
with "Every Shut Eye Ain't Sleep", a bitter-sweet tale about what
happened when Junebug left home to make his way in the big world outside
of his home near Four Corners, Mississippi.

Act Two opens with a traditional stubborn mule story. In "Senator Bilbo
and Miz Bessie Mae", Junebug reveals how his grandfather got even with a
no good politician. "Down In The Boys Gym" is the humorous yet touching
story about coming of age in the fifties. The most poignant point in the
play occurs at the end of the evening when "Tommie Too Tuff Tucker", an
old disc jockey who'd been displaced by "progress" is no longer able to
distinguish what's real and what's not.

Since 1980, John O'Neal has presented the Junebug character in Don't
Start Me To Talking ... to the enthusiastic response of audiences and
critics throughout the United States, Canada, France and Scandinavia.

The Junebug character  is a folk character in the fullest sense of the
term despite the fact that most of the folk who participated in the
generation of the character are literate. Although Junebug himself can
be dated back to the early nineteen sixties, he is an expression of a
generic character type as old as the ages. Wherever and whenever
oppressed people have taken stock of their situations and begun to
consider what to do about it, Junebug or somebody like him may be found
nearby....

Junebug comes from a long line of African storytellers. Aesop, the
African, was one of Junebug's fore-bearers. The innumerable
praise-singers, the oral historians who have carried the records of
events and the families of African peoples from time immemorial to now,
are ancestors to the Junebug. The tales of Anansi the spider, the Uncle
Remus tales, the John and Master tales, Langston Hughes' character,
Simple, the street comer poets who chime the rhymes of Shine and
Stagolee all these and more are ancestors to this keeper of dreams and
other sacred things.

Denis M. Griesmer

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C409DF.5BFC12A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D171305920-14032004>Dear =
List=20
Reader:</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D171305920-14032004></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D171305920-14032004>Call =
CPT now and=20
sign up to usher and see for free "Don't Start Me To Talking Or I'll =
Tell You=20
Everything I Know: The Life and Writings of Junebug Jabbo=20
Jones."</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D171305920-14032004><STRONG>Call Denis=20
Griesmer at 216.631.2727, ext. 208 or reply to this=20
email.</STRONG></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D171305920-14032004>Details about the=20
show are listed below or click this link: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.cptonline.org/seasoncalendar/event.cfm?eventid=3D155&a=
mp;eventdateid=3D778">http://www.cptonline.org/seasoncalendar/event.cfm?e=
ventid=3D155&eventdateid=3D778</A></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P><I>Don't Start Me To Talking Or I'll Tell Everything I Know...</I> is =
a=20
remarkable collection of six tales and anecdotes as told by the =
folkloric=20
character, Junebug Jabbo Jones.=20
<P>In the story, "I'm Who It Is Talking To You", Junebug tells of his =
history=20
and background. "Junebug Jabbo Jones," the mythic storyteller informs =
us, "it=20
ain't my name, it's a title of a job I got to do... like 'prince' or =
'king' or=20
something like that." Speaking more personally, our Junebug tells of his =
own=20
experiences growing up in Pike County, Mississippi in "In Them Old =
Cotton Fields=20
Back Home". The first act ends with "Every Shut Eye Ain't Sleep", a =
bitter-sweet=20
tale about what happened when Junebug left home to make his way in the =
big world=20
outside of his home near Four Corners, Mississippi.=20
<P>Act Two opens with a traditional stubborn mule story. In "Senator =
Bilbo and=20
Miz Bessie Mae", Junebug reveals how his grandfather got even with a no =
good=20
politician. "Down In The Boys Gym" is the humorous yet touching story =
about=20
coming of age in the fifties. The most poignant point in the play occurs =
at the=20
end of the evening when "Tommie Too Tuff Tucker", an old disc jockey =
who'd been=20
displaced by "progress" is no longer able to distinguish what's real and =
what's=20
not.=20
<P>Since 1980, John O'Neal has presented the Junebug character in Don't =
Start Me=20
To Talking ... to the enthusiastic response of audiences and critics =
throughout=20
the United States, Canada, France and Scandinavia. </P></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P>The Junebug character  is a folk character in the fullest sense =
of the=20
term despite the fact that most of the folk who participated in the =
generation=20
of the character are literate. Although Junebug himself can be dated =
back to the=20
early nineteen sixties, he is an expression of a generic character type =
as old=20
as the ages. Wherever and whenever oppressed people have taken stock of =
their=20
situations and begun to consider what to do about it, Junebug or =
somebody like=20
him may be found nearby....</P>
<P>Junebug comes from a long line of African storytellers. Aesop, the =
African,=20
was one of Junebug’s fore-bearers. The innumerable praise-singers, =
the oral=20
historians who have carried the records of events and the families of =
African=20
peoples from time immemorial to now, are ancestors to the Junebug. The =
tales of=20
Anansi the spider, the Uncle Remus tales, the John and Master tales, =
Langston=20
Hughes’ character, Simple, the street comer poets who chime the =
rhymes of Shine=20
and Stagolee all these and more are ancestors to this keeper of dreams =
and other=20
sacred things.</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Denis M. =
Griesmer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C409DF.5BFC12A0--