[NEohioPAL]More info on color headshots and Printing source

Eric Mull Photography eric at ericmull.com
Sun Apr 4 14:10:23 PDT 2004

Fellow neohiopal members...

It is true that out west color headshots are taking over.  The main reason
is that for many years the cost would have been too great to reproduce color
headshots (quickly and inexpensively) in low quantity.  Harold is correct,
now that digital has taken over, it has become quite easy to reproduce in
color.

However, for the over 20 legitimate model and talent agencies we shoot for
in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania and DC and the agents still want
Black and White.  Whether it is the mystique of the black and white image or
they just prefer black and white, it differs among agency owners.  I have a
couple agencies that have realized the potential in printing the headshot in
both Black and White AND color.  The reason for that is that their clients
dont just want the tall thin model types as Harold was speaking of..they
want normal looking people. So the agency will keep a color shot of the
actor on file to be able to send quickly to a client upon request.  I cant
tell you how many actors we have shot that have crossed over to print work.
Which is why most of the photographers around here also shoot headshots in
color.

If you are planning to move to LA or your agent thinks you may be able to
cross over into some local print work, then getting a color headshot may be
in your best interest.  If you plan on staying local and just want to work
the theatre and stay out of the print market, then you are just fine with
black and white headshots. (For now.)

We work with a local printer that does EXTREMELY HIGH END WORK without the
hassle of sending your photos across country.  You can go through us or them
and get the exact same price.  You can call or email me for more information
on this company, we will be happy to pass is along to anyone who has a need
for reproductions. Here are their prices.

100 COLOR headshots printed in 2 days on HIGH quality photo paper for
150 each of 2 separate (300 total) BLACK AND WHITE images
printed in 3 days for......................$165.00
(free retouching, free name and border and no setup fees)

All of our printing is local and can be picked up at our studio or shipped
within 2-3 days from the date of your order.

Eric Mull
www.ericmull.com
216-263-9494