[NEohioPAL]BERKO REVIEW: FREE WILL (CPH) & SO LONG TO HACKETT (CPH)

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 17:42:10 PDT 2004

“FAR AWAY” TOO FAR OUT FOR MOST AUDIENCE MEMBERS

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

Caryl Churchill, the author of Cleveland Play House’s
‘FAR AWAY’ is considered to be one of England's
premier modern playwrights.  She strives to make
audiences question their world, their role in dealing
with violence as well as political and sexual
oppression.

Churchill’s plays are difficult to watch or
understand.  It is easy to get lost in her words,
abstract ideas, and lack of linear play structure.

In most plays, the story line is important.  In the
50-minute ‘FAR AWAY,’ which is about a descent into
the dark ages, and that tells us Western civilization
is slowly sliding into barbarism, the story line is
less a straight line that a curve into nowhere.  In
light of the increase of terrorism and cruelty of
recent times, she may be sending the message that no
one is getting what they want, and there appears to be
no light at the end of the tunnel to get us there.

Unfortunately, the message isn’t very obvious.  As a
CPH audience member stated as he dazedly wandered in
the parking lot following the show, “What in heck was
that we just saw?”  A British reviewer seemed to agree
when, after seeing the 2000 opening of ‘FAR AWAY’ he
stated, “it moves from the real to the surreal in ways
I found less than convincing and was prepared to
accept.”   Another reviewer stated, “there is no
disguising the fact that the drama's gloom-and-doom
seems both glib and modish, nor is there enough detail
in the writing to persuade us to care about the
characters."

The CPH cast, Cat Maddox, Matthew Joslyn, Derdriu Ring
and Angela Holecko, under the direction of Peter
Hackett, were excellent.  Scenographer Pavel
Dobrusky’s set was outstanding.  Robin Heath’s sound
design was right on target, and Larry Delinger’s
background music was effective.

CAPSULE JUDGEMENT: ‘FAR AWAY’ is an abstract play
which is hard to decipher and will leave most audience
members frustrated though it is well presented at the
Cleveland Play House.  Churchill's response to the new
century, it seems, is to stretch our belief to
confusion point.

For tickets to ‘FAR AWAY,’ which range from $32 to
$40, with “under 25 “ tickets at $12, call
216-795-7000 or go on-line to
www.clevelandplayhouse.com.  The production runs
through April 25.

ON A SEPARATE NOTE: ‘FAR AWAY’ is Peter Hackett’s last
directing project for CPH.   He leaves to return to
pursue an academic career.  I have disagreed many
times with Hackett’s choice of plays, his directing
style, and his vision for CPH.  I have never
questioned his dedication to this theatre, his belief
that he was taking CPH on the right course, or his
desire to make Cleveland a recognized theatrical
center.  I can only wish him the best of personal and
artistic success.  So long and thanks for your
efforts.