[NEohioPAL]One more glowing review of MERRY WIVES with Dorothy & Reuben Silver at Actors' S

Thackaberr at aol.com Thackaberr at aol.com
Fri Apr 16 08:11:22 PDT 2004

-------------------------------1082128282

Pure Silver shines
in 'The Merry Wives of Windsor'
First couple of Ohio stage make merry in Actors' Summit production
By David Ritchey
HUDSON -- "The Merry Wives of Windsor" provides two silver gems for local
theatergoers -- Dorothy and Reuben Silver. Ever since I moved to Akron in 1990, I
have heard glowing reports about the performances of this talented husband
and wife. Finally, I've had the opportunity to see what everyone is talking
about. And, yes, they deserve every glowing comment.
Unfortunately, audiences will have only until the end of this month to see
the couple's stunning performances in "The Merry Wives of Windsor" at Actors'
Summit Theater.
Shakespeare's comedy focuses on Sir John Falstaff, a lecherous old man who
sets about to seduce Mistress Page and Mistress Ford. When the ladies understand
his plot, they set out to expose his scheme; however, their husbands
complicate their intrigue. Master Ford is an overexcited, jealous husband, while
Master Page is too involved in marrying off his daughter to a local simpleton to
pay much attention to gossip about his wife's infidelity. A subplot deals with
the suitors who pursue Anne Page, the daughter of Master and Mistress Page.
Shakespeare provided an unsatisfactory ending to this play, which was written
in about 1600. The characters disguise themselves as fairies and elves to
torture and humiliate Falstaff. This sadistic ending seems out of keeping with
the comic nonsense that sets the tone of the play.
Dorothy Silver plays Mistress Quickly, a comic character who endlessly
chatters without getting to the subject at hand. Silver has perfect comedic timing.
With a glance at the audience or a raised index finger, she can express more
emotion and plot points than many performers can express in hours on the stage.
Dorothy Silver's performance should be preserved for people to watch as an
example of quality acting.
Reuben Silver plays the amorous Falstaff, with a booming voice that fills the
theater whether he shouts or whispers. Reuben Silver is in his late 70s, yet
he moves with the grace of a well-trained dancer or a peak-of-his-prime
athlete. When he wants to play the old man, he lets his character's age dominate.
Reuben Silver evokes a Falstaff who is both comic and endearing, but this
Falstaff also plays the fool when he casts an affectionate eye on two married
ladies.
When the Silvers play a scene together, it is theatrical magic. Near the end
of the first act, the couple have a long scene together with no one else on
the stage. What a pleasure it is to be seated so near to two people who are at
the pinnacle of their acting talents and who make Shakespeare's words roll
trippingly off the tongues.
Their great gifts seem to spark everyone else in the company; it would appear
they help their castmates perform at a level many have never before reached.
Pay special attention to Andrew Narten (Master Ford), a newcomer to Actors'
Summit, who performs his comedic role like a well-oiled motor. His face seems
to be made of rubber, as he can drastically change his expression with only a
smirk, a smile or a snort. He's a gifted actor, and I hope we see more of him
at Actors' Summit.
The company of more than 20 actors makes this comedy a merry romp. Sometimes
the audience laughed so loud and so long that the performers had to wait for
the laughter to drop.
"The Merry Wives of Windsor" is a first-rate performance and a great evening
in the theater. The play will be at Actors' Summit through April 21, but no
performances will take place April 8-14. Don't miss the fun. For tickets, call
(330) 342-0800.
David Ritchey has a Ph.D. in communications and is a professor of
communications at The University of Akron. He is a member of the American Theatre Critics
Association.

-------------------------------1082128282

<HTML xmlns:st1 =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" xmlns:o=20=
=3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<H1 style=3D"MARGIN: auto 0in; TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=3Dcenter><SPAN styl=
e=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Pure Silver shines<BR>in 'The Merry Wives of </SPAN=
><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Windsor</SPAN></st1=
:place></st1:City><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">'<o:p></o:p></SPAN></H1=

<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=
 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<H3 style=3D"MARGIN: auto 0in"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">First coup=
le of </SPAN><st1:State><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Ohio</=
SPAN></st1:place></st1:State><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> stage make=20=
merry in Actors' </SPAN><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Ari=
al">Summit</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><SPAN style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial">=20=
production<o:p></o:p></SPAN></H3>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">By David Ritchey <o:p=
></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">=
HUDSON</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAM=
ILY: Arial"> -- "The Merry Wives of Windsor" provides two silver gems for lo=
cal theatergoers -- Dorothy and Reuben Silver. Ever since I moved to </SPAN>=
<st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Akr=
on</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:=
 Arial"> in 1990, I have heard glowing reports about the performances of thi=
s talented husband and wife. Finally, I've had the opportunity to see what e=
veryone is talking about. And, yes, they deserve every glowing comment. <o:p=
></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Unfortunately, audien=
ces will have only until the end of this month to see the couple's stunning=20=
performances in "The Merry Wives of Windsor" at Actors' Summit Theater. <o:p=
></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Shakespeare's comedy=20=
focuses on Sir John Falstaff, a lecherous old man who sets about to seduce M=
istress Page and Mistress Ford. When the ladies understand his plot, they se=
t out to expose his scheme; however, their husbands complicate their intrigu=
e. Master Ford is an overexcited, jealous husband, while Master Page is too=20=
involved in marrying off his daughter to a local simpleton to pay much atten=
tion to gossip about his wife's infidelity. A subplot deals with the suitors=
 who pursue Anne Page, the daughter of Master and Mistress Page. <o:p></o:p>=
</SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Shakespeare provided=20=
an unsatisfactory ending to this play, which was written in about 1600. The=20=
characters disguise themselves as fairies and elves to torture and humiliate=
 Falstaff. This sadistic ending seems out of keeping with the comic nonsense=
 that sets the tone of the play. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Dorothy Silver plays=20=
Mistress Quickly, a comic character who endlessly chatters without getting t=
o the subject at hand. Silver has perfect comedic timing. With a glance at t=
he audience or a raised index finger, she can express more emotion and plot=20=
points than many performers can express in hours on the stage. Dorothy Silve=
r's performance should be preserved for people to watch as an example of qua=
lity acting. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Reuben Silver plays t=
he amorous Falstaff, with a booming voice that fills the theater whether he=20=
shouts or whispers. Reuben Silver is in his late 70s, yet he moves with the=20=
grace of a well-trained dancer or a peak-of-his-prime athlete. When he wants=
 to play the old man, he lets his character's age dominate. <o:p></o:p></SPA=
N></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Reuben Silver evokes=20=
a Falstaff who is both comic and endearing, but this Falstaff also plays the=
 fool when he casts an affectionate eye on two married ladies. <o:p></o:p></=
SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">When the Silvers play=
 a scene together, it is theatrical magic. Near the end of the first act, th=
e couple have a long scene together with no one else on the stage. What a pl=
easure it is to be seated so near to two people who are at the pinnacle of t=
heir acting talents and who make Shakespeare's words roll trippingly off the=
 tongues. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Their great gifts see=
m to spark everyone else in the company; it would appear they help their cas=
tmates perform at a level many have never before reached. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>=
</P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Pay special attention=
 to Andrew Narten (Master Ford), a newcomer to Actors' </SPAN><st1:City><st1=
:place><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Summit</SPAN></st=
1:place></st1:City><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">, who=
 performs his comedic role like a well-oiled motor. His face seems to be mad=
e of rubber, as he can drastically change his expression with only a smirk,=20=
a smile or a snort. He's a gifted actor, and I hope we see more of him at Ac=
tors' </SPAN><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMIL=
Y: Arial">Summit</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt=
; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The company of more t=
han 20 actors makes this comedy a merry romp. Sometimes the audience laughed=
 so loud and so long that the performers had to wait for the laughter to dro=
p. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">"The Merry Wives of W=
indsor" is a first-rate performance and a great evening in the theater. The=20=
play will be at Actors' </SPAN><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE=
: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Summit</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><SPAN style=
=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> through April 21, but no performan=
ces will take place April 8-14. Don't miss the fun. For tickets, call (330)=20=
342-0800. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><I><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">David Ritchey has=20=
a Ph.D. in communications and is a professor of communications at The </SPAN=
></I><st1:place><st1:PlaceType><I><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMIL=
Y: Arial">University</SPAN></I></st1:PlaceType><I><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE:=20=
10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> of </SPAN></I><st1:PlaceName><I><SPAN style=3D"FO=
NT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Akron</SPAN></I></st1:PlaceName></st1:pla=
ce><I><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">. He is a member o=
f the American Theatre Critics Association.</SPAN></I><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SI=
ZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P></BODY></HTML>